Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Stylistically, and color- wise, this dobbs has to be my favorite, but it was far to large to make work.

My favorite hat, for reasons of styling, quality and durability is my mode edge 7x clear beaver stetson

IMG_0614.jpg

dobbs1detail.jpg

That just became my favorite color combo! Dinerman, what size is it? Do you still have it?

B

trailrunner

Familiar Face
My Grandfather's Stetson. My Grandfather died when I was about nine, but I remember it vaguely, brown with a darker brown hat band. My Grandfather was just about my favorite person on the planet at that point. I thought the hat was long gone, but my sister said that when our uncle died a few years back she saw it in with some of his items. She is sure that one of our Mother's sisters has it, and my Mom has spread the word that I want it if it can be found. I would give a lot to get my hands on that hat.

A new quest for GT....

gtdean48 said:
7 5/8 Long Oval Stetson Stratoliner in gun metal gray with the box...
Well, I have a "mouse" gray Stratoliner in this size with the box so I guess I need to update my quest.
I thought I had found a 7 5/8 Stetson Playboy but it turned out to be a 6 5/8! :rage:
Paypal helped me recover my funds.
I nabbed a very nice Open Road style Stetson 25 from a fellow lounger, so I'm searching for the Playboy now with an eye out for a Stetson 100 in 7 5/8 LO.

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
My Holy Grail...

would have to be a chocolate brown Knox Twenty. Happily I have stumbled upon two (one will need to be sent to Optimo for an overhaul including resizing but was a steal, and another that looks like a crumbled mess on first glance...we shall see when it arrives!)

Quest may be over!:)

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Well, to be honest, this is a difficult question to answer. I own many hats I at one time considered a grail hat. There are a few more I wish to own and whether or not they are merely me coveting hats or grail hats is something yet to be borne out. ;)

1) ANY Knox Tom ‘n’ Jerry in 7 1/4, 7 3/8 or 7 1/2. I love those hats though they are little more than Knox Fifteens. Every one of them is different and special. A fellow lounger has a blue one that I would give half my collection for.

2) Feraud’s Air Light Whippet. I am still kicking myself as I had the opportunity to procure it but decided not to because I thought the brim was too short. :eusa_doh: I would give the other half of my collection for it.

In fact I have thought about PMing the members that own the hats to see if they would consider selling them but this belongs in the confessional thread and I would never do such a thing. :)

Regards,
Hollis

Dewhurst

Practically Family
As of this moment, I consider my "grail" hat to be a Borsalino Como. Oh, how I pine for one of these. As with the mythology, it is currently unattainable.

My quest shall continue.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Stylistically, and color- wise, this dobbs has to be my favorite, but it was far to large to make work.

My favorite hat, for reasons of styling, quality and durability is my mode edge 7x clear beaver stetson

IMG_0614.jpg

From the first time I saw this color combination, it became my holy grail. I was lucky enough to purchase a Knox twenty in my size, to determine that my holy grail was that maker/model with basically Dinerman's color combo. It then showed up on ebay in near-mint condition and I put a massive snipe in. I probably paid three times what the hat was worth, but still over $100 under my snipe. I look at it this way - none of us can touch our 'holy grail' hat, manufactured today, for under $300...even if it were possible to produce them, and in many cases it is not.

So here's mine:

Knox20TanFront.jpg

Knox20TanSide.jpg

Knox20TanUnb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ