Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

Sargon

Familiar Face
I chased my grail hat and lost it, and chased it again and won. All thanks to a fellow lounger I like to call a gentleman. :eusa_clap I'm not sure if he'd want it generally known or not so I'll just say it's nice when the hunt is finally over.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Sargon said:
I chased my grail hat and lost it, and chased it again and won. All thanks to a fellow lounger I like to call a gentleman. :eusa_clap I'm not sure if he'd want it generally known or not so I'll just say it's nice when the hunt is finally over.

And your grail hat would be a ...????

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Guys! Guys! Our unbridled and irrational lust (for such decribes all grail quests) for anonymous lids doesn't count! Grails aren't anonymous!!

Details please!!

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Didn't Ed Norton wind up with this hat?

billyspew said:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4904321
An Adam...
0786_1_lg.jpg

kil0n0vember

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sargon said:

Its ok, you can tell em ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
St.Ignatz said:
J.C.Penneys Marathon Contraster. Got one for my wife but my size is a bit more elusive.

I remember seeing that Contraster (or one extremely similar) on ebay a few months ago. It was gorgeous, but too small. A worthy grail quest.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
I remember seeing that Contraster (or one extremely similar) on ebay a few months ago. It was gorgeous, but too small. A worthy grail quest.

This is probably it a 6 7/8th beauty. Thin, soft and the binding is just a perfect match. My wife loves the hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Here's my Holy Grail Fedora.

... and here's a shot of a handsome lounger wearing one to prove that 'The Grail' really does exist!

Now that is a Town and Country Hat. :eusa_clap

Thanks CRH! I'm hoping to someday pick up an early '40s original wide-ribbon Open Road - not sure I will like it more without the brim-binding.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Thanks CRH! I'm hoping to someday pick up an early '40s original wide-ribbon Open Road - not sure I will like it more without the brim-binding.

Make mine a '37 model with the brim stitching - first one off the line!

If it's going to be a grail let's not make it too easy.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mario said:
My Holy Grail would be that light gray, almost white Stetson Flagship Bantam Man scored not so long ago, only I'd need it in my tiny size.

A hat to die for!

StetsonFlagshipGrey-ph1.jpg

Gotta say, I love the vintage boxes almost as much as the hats they contain - and those two are a stonking set! Definitely Grail-worthy.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Gotta say, I love the vintage boxes almost as much as the hats they contain - and those two are a stonking set! Definitely Grail-worthy.

Thanks for the new word, ET.

I'll try it out tomorrow, "Oh, that's a stonk'n oufit, Baby!"

Would that be proper usage? :D

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
CRH said:
Thanks for the new word, ET.

I'll try it out tomorrow, "Oh, that's a stonk'n oufit, Baby!"

Would that be proper usage? :D

Yep CRH. Can't think of a better usage than complimenting a Babe!

I'm not sure if 'stonking' is an Aussie word for 'outstanding', 'fabulous etc...but it's used a bit here. We probably stole it from somewhere - bein' a race of convicts an' all.

So go ahead and use it!

Sargon

Familiar Face
Ephraim Tutt said:
And your grail hat would be a ...????

When I first got into hats and was eagerly trolling the bay for treasure I came across THE HAT. I was looking for a hat that was similar to the hat Jack Ruby wore when he gunned down Lee Harvey Oswald. Not for any sentimental reasons, I just liked the hat. My search revealed a Cavanagh 100 that I fell in love with complete with a fancy patent leather case. I bid what I thought an insane amount and lost. Welcome to ebay.

Nearly every day since then I have looked in vain for another and have not seen its like. Even in other sizes. Then Garrett (the winner) hinted that he might be persuaded to part with it, and the price was fair (isn't it always?) and now here I am. Search complete :)

No photos yet but I'll bet you've all seen it. Thanks Garrett!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Sargon said:
When I first got into hats and was eagerly trolling the bay for treasure I came across THE HAT. I was looking for a hat that was similar to the hat Jack Ruby wore when he gunned down Lee Harvey Oswald. Not for any sentimental reasons, I just liked the hat. My search revealed a Cavanagh 100 that I fell in love with complete with a fancy patent leather case. I bid what I thought an insane amount and lost. Welcome to ebay.

Nearly every day since then I have looked in vain for another and have not seen its like. Even in other sizes. Then Garrett (the winner) hinted that he might be persuaded to part with it, and the price was fair (isn't it always?) and now here I am. Search complete :)

No photos yet but I'll bet you've all seen it. Thanks Garrett!

Excellent Sargon! A quest fulfilled!!

Now...when can we expect those pics?? Hmmmmm?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner