Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

Stern-Hank

New in Town
My Modified Bailey Maran

cid__0831091251.jpg

I "modified" it by removing the original hatband and removing a better hatband from another hat I didn't want and buying Goop to
glue the bow to the band and then wrapping the band around the hat. How's that for amateur hour?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Ordinary Guy said:
My Holy Grail is a Campdaft in Moonstone...

I may be searching forever for it ........

My local hatter just got a stock of Akubra Bogarts in grey (that's gray to you phonetically enslaved Seps). First time I've seen anything other than black Bogarts on his shelf.

So Moonstone CDs may be right around the corner. Ask Hats Direct if they can order you one.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Sargon said:

Nearly every day since then I have looked in vain for another and have not seen its like. Even in other sizes. Then Garrett (the winner) hinted that he might be persuaded to part with it, and the price was fair (isn't it always?) and now here I am. Search complete :)

No photos yet but I'll bet you've all seen it. Thanks Garrett!

When you find 'the grail', you have to bid insane+ ...if you can scrounge up the cash.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Sargon said:
My search revealed a Cavanagh 100 that I fell in love with complete with a fancy patent leather case.
Then Garrett (the winner) hinted that he might be persuaded to part with it, and the price was fair (isn't it always?) and now here I am. Search complete :)

I hate you. I hate Garrett.

Congratulations. :eusa_clap

I've got many of Garrett's hats saved in my photobucket account. At 7 1/2, they're dream hats. The super-wide sweat alone is fantastic.
IMG_1009.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
not quite a grail - Stetson #1

My dearest possession of childhood was my black western hat. Like everything else, I forgot it for a few days, only to find it in the backyard after a long rain. So in a way, this one really has been a grail hunt - only took 48 years, but I think it will work:

TwoMes.jpg

Stets_1SideUnb.jpg

Michaelshane

One Too Many
ScottF said:
My dearest possession of childhood was my black western hat. Like everything else, I forgot it for a few days, only to find it in the backyard after a long rain. So in a way, this one really has been a grail hunt - only took 48 years, but I think it will work:

TwoMes.jpg

Stets_1SideUnb.jpg
You haven't changed a bit.....:)

billysmom

One Too Many
Holy Grail Boots

I'm still a novice at hats so I really don't know what my Holy Grail is yet. But I've been around boots all my life and finally achieved my HG:

IMG00487-20090918-1729.jpg

IMG00484-20090918-1723.jpg

IMG00485-20090918-1724.jpg

Made by M. L. Leddy. Chocolate full quill ostrich uppers/Forest green kangaroo shafts with 10 rows of stitching.

I hope when I find my HG Hat it gives me close to the feeling I had when I pulled these on for the first time ... :D

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
I'm still a novice at hats so I really don't know what my Holy Grail is yet. But I've been around boots all my life and finally achieved my HG:

Made by M. L. Leddy. Chocolate full quill ostrich uppers/Forest green kangaroo shafts with 10 rows of stitching.

I hope when I find my HG Hat it gives me close to the feeling I had when I pulled these on for the first time ... :D

Sue

Those are SWEET! I've always worn cowboy boots, but my grail pair would be a duplicate of a pair I wore in college: dark orange-brown Tony Lama calfskins with dark-brown upper. Very simple design. With my high instep it's tough to get a good fit, and I haven't come close to that old pair.

As far as grail hats, with your head-size you are very fortunate to be able to try a lot of great hats at nice prices. So far you've shown a great skill for picking out very very nice hats. I'd be hard-pressed to decide on a 'best hat' out of all the ones you've shown us.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
billysmom said:

Sue

I gotta say that for such a conservative bunch, cowboys aren't big on understatement!

Personally, I blame Roy Rogers

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
My local hatter just got a stock of Akubra Bogarts in grey (that's gray to you phonetically enslaved Seps). First time I've seen anything other than black Bogarts on his shelf.

So Moonstone CDs may be right around the corner. Ask Hats Direct if they can order you one.
Well I got my grey Bogart last year and a bunch of us have been emailing since spring trying to get them to do a Moonstone Campdraft and so far the answer is no.

I may be selling my new Grey Bogart to raise cash for a special ordered hat..

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Any High-Quality, Deep Green Fedora

. . . preferably from the 40's or 50's, size 23 inches i.d. (7 3/8, 7 1/2?)

Can't seem to find one to round out the collection. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo