1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Homburg Nation

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Garrett, Jan 24, 2009.

1. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

Stefan, those are amazing. The Portis is gorgis...
    I think homburgs have the potential to be very special hats. Every one I have ever owned has been unique and lots of attention was given to details.
    I wore my black (or possibly super midnight blue) Mansfield Duracraft homburg a few days ago. I’m not a huge black hat guy but this one has amazingly balanced dimensions somehow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I'll wear my MacLachlan Homburg tomorrow, now that I'm having a crush on Maclachlan felts.
    I used to not like caps, and I just ordered one. Hmmm.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

3. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack One of the Regulars

And we won't mention certain types of leather outerwear for the time being haha.

4. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

That is a magnificent looking homburg, Jeff. I like the way that brim just swoops around the hat. If they are done right (and most of the vintage ones are) they are just soooo stylish. Addictive hats, once you get into them.

5. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

M Hatman, Rmccamey, busmatt and 6 others like this.
  6. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I already went through that phase when I was a teenager. Luckily, my Dad was paying for them back then.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

busmatt and Just A Hat Rack like this.
  7. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

A very nice homburg, Steve. I'm looking forward to Brömme's other hats. Interesting that the label has that little inconsistency having the 4 1/2 as a 55.

M Hatman, mayserwegener and Steve1857 like this.
  8. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, Thanks! This is the paper label situation with JHS in the time period. The French Point size is one size larger than CM size which is the correct size. This hat has an exterior paper label with all the correct sizes but you will see the French Point size on the paper is one size larger than the CM size. It could be the French Point size is without sweatband.

Have to scroll down to see the labels.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...el´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/#entry47

M Hatman and steur like this.
  9. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Never noticed that before. Interesting little fact and a logical explanation why that could be. Not quite sure why they thought it was worth putting it on the label though.

mayserwegener and busmatt like this.
  10. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Windsor, 60cm, possibly late 1950s. I really like the hat form and felt is very dense plus easily takes side dents. I was hoping to find some clue regarding the Windsor trademark but the paper label has no company information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Brent (@deadlyhandsome) decided to purge his hat collection and came across some hats that were in my size. He thought of me and proposed a trade I couldn't refuse, but didn't involve parts of horses. Thus these hats came into my possession. Let's start with this one.
    Snyder's homburg Royal Quality in grey. Black ribbon and grey brim binding. With windcord. Brim at 6cm and crown 11cm at the center dent.
    I'm a sucker for this colour combination and I will do a comparison of the several I have of these soon. Lovely felt and high quality finishing. The brim edge (curl and binding) is a bit softer than usual on homburgs and shows some tendency for waviness, which makes me think it's an older hat. Fits me to perfection. After enough dust was brushed off to cause a second dust bowl this beauty was left standing.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

The second one that came out of the box I tend to just sit with and handle with some awe.
    Mallory fifteen homburg in grey. Size 7 in the same colour combination as the Snyder's but with a warmer coloured brim binding. The brim is wider at 6,5cm and the crown sits at 11cm at the center dent too. It does have a sleek and slender look to it, which I find very appealing. Here the brim curl and binding is as tight and straight as it gets, but less inward facing than on European hats. That is a style choice however. The felt and finishing are outstanding. Very understated with just a slightly slanted bow keeper as a little flourish. Love this hat and many thanks go out to Brent for finding this one (and the Snyder's) for me.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Part II
    It was sold by Dey brothers of Syracuse.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

New to me Knox Superfine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Tukwila

Tukwila One Too Many

Nice find, Brent!

M Hatman and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Thanks. My collection is getting smaller but better quality, and I do love me a nice homburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    M Hatman, Steve1857 and Tukwila like this.
  17. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Again: gorgeous, Brent. A welcome addition to the homburg nation (and any hat collection worth its salt). I would have expected the shape of the crown to have been more tall and straight sided (like mine is), but that may be because of the crease.

Tukwila and deadlyhandsome like this.
  18. Steve1857

Steve1857 Practically Family

Who doesn't like a Homburg ? Nice find, Brent. Love the colour combination and curves. Looks good on you. Congrats.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

19. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Here's a new one to me. A mixed blessing of sorts, because I was very happy finding it, but very sad that it's not my size. I actually found one of these before (also not my size:(), but this one is of a different quality designation.
    Borsalino Export Qualität lobbia in the colour Morello (which is supposed to be a dark brown, but looks more like a warm grey to my eye). Size 58 (or 7 1/4 American), with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Qualitá Speciale on the liner, which is quite rare on Borsalino homburg hats.
    It'll find its way to the classifieds soon.

borsalino morello spec_01.jpg borsalino morello spec_02.jpg borsalino morello spec_03.jpg borsalino morello spec_04.jpg borsalino morello spec_05.jpg borsalino morello spec_06.jpg borsalino morello spec_07.jpg borsalino morello spec_09.jpg borsalino morello spec_10.jpg borsalino morello spec_11.jpg

20. Steve1857

Steve1857 Practically Family

Nice find, Stefan. Sorry it's not your size

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

steur likes this.