Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

HosManHatter said:
That clarifies things a bit for me.Thanks,meyserwegener. I`m learning that what I think are "rules" may often be guidelines or gerneralities. So the defining factor on a Homburg seems to be the brim and maybe a higher crown?

That Wegener Colonel does look Homburgish in the crown.My Resistol has a rather non-fedora look about the crown when viewed straight on from the front--you don`t see the front pinches against the dark brown color.I never noticed how different views/angles can affect the appearence of a hat you are wearing.Maybe that`s just me getting used to seeing myself wearing a hat? :D

Thanks again!
HMH

I would say brim curl and higher crown are a good guidline. If you look below you can see my collection which shows many different Homburg variations. By the way the original Homburgs didn't have binding and were very tapered + very high crowns.

The Wegener also has some side curl which is also Homburg like. At that time (late 50s) Homburgs were very popular in Germany so this would work as a nice hybrid hat (Fedora meets Homburg).

4185252864_70bb09b68c.jpg

4185252836_e65d2c6692.jpg

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
WOW! You are like God of Homburgs,bro! I think I am partial to the center crease ones in the darker colors(black,navy blue).Just some small differences make for a much different "style" and look when comparing them to fedoras. Homburgs became the gentry`s headware at the decline of top hats?Anything other than black tie and tails it`s the Homburg? I have been noticing them more in movies,pictures,tv.A very dignified and high class hat.

What is your personal favorite?

Hos

HosManHatter said:
What is your personal favorite?

Hos

My current favorite is the Habig with the thinner ribbon. It is the first hat (left to right) in the second to last row. The grey Pallas Homburg (second row last hat) is also a current favorite.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Very handsome Homburgs. What is the hat in the 4th row and farthest right.Some color between an washed red and...? It has one of the tallest crowns I`ve seen.Reminds me a lot of that Buggs Bunny cartoon with the 2 gangsters(one big,one small)...the hat the tiny(boss)gangster wore.Crazy high crown and stingy brim over his eyes.Another member had this character as an avatar.

Interesting hat and color.Starting to grow on me I think.

HosManHatter said:
Very handsome Homburgs. What is the hat in the 4th row and farthest right.Some color between an washed red and...? It has one of the tallest crowns I`ve seen.Reminds me a lot of that Buggs Bunny cartoon with the 2 gangsters(one big,one small)...the hat the tiny(boss)gangster wore.Crazy high crown and stingy brim over his eyes.Another member had this character as an avatar.

Interesting hat and color.Starting to grow on me I think.

That is a George M. Wilson The Mens Store Inc. Homburg from probably the 1930s maybe earlier. The store was out Pittsburgh but I have no idea what company made the hat. It is a lighter brown with maybe a hint of red. There are detailed photos on page 14 of this thread.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mayserwegener said:
Probably late 50s black Mayser Homburg, size 58cm. This one has a really nice overall look and is in great condition.
4344471134_a3cabf06cd_b.jpg

Very nice, sir. An elegant look to be sure. I just finished watching the ATV series "Edward the VII" and the homburgs figured prominently in the latter part of the series. A grey one worn by the actor portraying PM Campbell-Bannerman was shaped similarly, with side dents and upturn.

Pilot99

Familiar Face
mayserwegener said:
Probably late 50s black Mayser Homburg, size 58cm. This one has a really nice overall look and is in great condition.

4344471076_9b56ea47ee_b.jpg

Unbelievable looking homburg. For that kind of age, the condition looks like it just came out of the box! I am just starting out with a couple of newly made fedora's, but you just proved I need to start searching for more vintage ones!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Great Homburgs, everyone!

None of you have an excuse.

These great hats need a showing.

The next International Derby Day is March 5.

First Friday of each month, get out the derbies, homburgs, bowlers, gamblers, all those rolled brim hats.

A derby a day keeps the .... something or other[huh]

International Derby Day ... "Bringing class to our culture since 2010!"

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for a grey homburg with a black ribbon, to go with my grey suit. Not really looking for a colour match, just something like a moonstone would probably work nicely.

Homburgs seem to be hard to come by, and Stetson only appears to offer a black one from their website. Are there any made now in a good quality in these colors, or is vintage my only option? I would prefer vintage anyway, but I haven't seen one of these yet so just trying to open up my options.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bbshriver, Selentino makes a very nice modern homburg but it only comes with a dark grey band. There is one pictured in my collection a page or two back. My Stetson St. Regis has the color scheme you want but it is a vintage e-Bay find. Lagomarsino, Borsalino, and Guerra also make homburgs but I don't know if they have one in your color scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner