Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Stetson St. Regis

I just got this hat, and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how old it is.
Photo247.jpg

Photo233-1.jpg

Photo234-1.jpg

I find it interesting that the lining only says "Stetson" and the sweatband says "Royal DeLuxe Stetson"

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The sweatband says 1950s to me, no earlier than 1952/1953. The liner looks newer than that, '60s or so. I'll straddle the two, and say late '50s/ early '60s.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. Do you have any idea why they don't match (the liner just saying "stetson" and the sweatband saying "Royal DeLuxe Stetson")?
I had gotten the impression that they normally said the same thing...

if I am just dead wrong on this, that is a reasonable explanation.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hello! I may be considering a homburg purchase in the future, but I was wondering if a homburg is actually appropriate to wear with a tuxedo (for weddings, funerals)? Thank you!

Scotus

One of the Regulars
J B said:
Hello! I may be considering a homburg purchase in the future, but I was wondering if a homburg is actually appropriate to wear with a tuxedo (for weddings, funerals)? Thank you!

Yes, the Homburg can be worn with formal day wear and with business attire. Below is an example of a man wearing one with business attire from an old ad.

1930%20MW%20Fall-Win%20p246%20men%20hats,%20Homburg%201.jpg

Dobesch Wien Homburg

I was excited to receive this Dobesch Wien Homburg but it turned out to be a size 56cm instead of a 59cm. :(

This is the first Dobesch I have come across so rare. I am thinking late 50s early 60s.

4383623224_bc15237813_b.jpg

4383623298_c0cc27b637_b.jpg

4383623350_6567aa8b54_b.jpg

4382865835_bfc1755afb_b.jpg

4383625104_58aed74bde_b.jpg

4382866093_3401cc7ff0_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

frussell

One Too Many
New Beaver Brand Homburg

Doesn't hold a candle to the fine vintage homburgs on this thread, but for under $100, made in the U.S., it's a pretty good hat. HatsPlus has them on sale for dirt cheap right now. I got the Charbrown, which was the only darker color available in 7 3/4. It's a well-made hat, nice liner, 1 7/8" ribbon, no obvious flaws, crown stiff, but definately bashable. All in all, a great deal. Frank.
P2230576.jpg
[/IMG]
P2230577.jpg
[/IMG]
P2230575.jpg
[/IMG]
As usual, my poor photo skills show, but it looks great in person!

Lokar

A-List Customer
J B said:

The homburg is the hat of choice by most for black tie (i.e. the tuxedo). The only other "correct" hat is the top hat, and many don't like the look.

jeffconnors said:
Answer your question?

churchill.jpg

churchill-photo.jpg

As far as I can see, neither of those are tuxes ;)
The first appears to be a frock coat, and you can't really see enough of the second, but the non-satin lapels rules out black tie. As does Churchill wearing his trademark dotted bow tie, rather than a plain black.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Lokar said:
As far as I can see, neither of those are tuxes ;)
The first appears to be a frock coat, and you can't really see enough of the second, but the non-satin lapels rules out black tie. As does Churchill wearing his trademark dotted bow tie, rather than a plain black.
Looks like a suit to me. The non-satin lapels, outer pockets, and lack of waist seam also rule out its being a frock coat. I suppose semi-formal morning dress is possible, though, since we can't see his trousers.

Lokar

A-List Customer
You might be right actually, it looks like there's not enough weight for a frock coat, and as you say, outer pockets were exceptionally rare and I can't imagine Churchill being that sort of dandy.

Satinless lapelled frock coats weren't uncommon though. I believe happy occasions and business required satin, while sombre occasions such as funerals demanded a lack thereof. (Indeed, about 50% of the vintage frock coats I've seen in Sweden don't have satin lapels, and of the six frock coats on www.savvyrow.co.uk, only two have satin faced lapels.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Would you call this a homburg or is it a fedora with a pencil roll brim - or are they, in fact, the same thing?

Also, any thoughts as to age would be great...

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Selvaggio said:
Would you call this a homburg or is it a fedora with a pencil roll brim - or they, in fact, the same thing?

Also, any thoughts as to age would be great...

IMG_1051.jpg
/IMG_1054.jpg[/IMG]
Unless I am mistaken (which is entirely possible) that is a lords hat, being the same a homburg, but with an unbound brim.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Oh thanks. I have never heard of that. Would it traditionally be worn a bit less formally than a homburg? Because it is all black, I was wondering if it was a style worn by one of our Hasidic communities.

Selvaggio said:
Oh thanks. I have never heard of that. Would it traditionally be worn a bit less formally than a homburg? Because it is all black, I was wondering if it was a style worn by one of our Hasidic communities.

It is pretty much the same thing IMHO. Also not aware of Hasidic communities wearing Homburgs - Lords Hats although I guess it is possible. Actually the early Homburgs (see Edward VII) didn't have brim binding. This debate (Homburg vs. Lord's Hat) actually came up a couple of times recently. By the way beautiful Homburg (IMHO)!

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I'm quite happy with it. It has a very pleasing lack of perfection. It seems to just absorb what ever shape results from grabbing and there's your bash.

I'm not sure if sewing the sweat band back in place is something I should attempt myself or track down a professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred