Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

dschonn

Familiar Face
Garrett said:
While not technically a Homburg, this Mossant originally had a pencil curl brim and is a "Lord's Hat" which is in the Homburg family.

Could these terms be defined, please? What is a Lord's Hat? Why isn't this particular specimen considered a Homburg? Is it because of the narrower brim binding and looser curl? What, in fact, defines a Homburg? What is included in the Homburg family?

I have a fairly good idea what a Homburg is, but I doubt any definition I would come up with would be correct in all specifics, so I thought I'd ask.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
A homburg always has a center dent (which distinguishes it from a bowler) and a pencil-curled (and bound) brim (which distinguishes it from a fedora or trilby).

A lord's hat is a homburg with an unbound brim.

Someone asked about sources for new homburgs. I have a Biltmore and would recommend it. I got mine from Hats Plus in Chicago, and had it reblocked at Baron's in Burbank. (The reblock was for fit -- I need a long oval, and I didn't think the homburg would conform on its own as quickly as a fedora does -- or possibly ever -- because of the stiffness of the curled brim.)

dschonn

Familiar Face
Ah. Thank you for the info. That's pretty much what I thought. I have thought of another question, though...

May a Homburg have a narrow ribbon or a front pinch, or would either of those turn it into a different member of the Homburg family?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may have a front pinch indeed but that would lean more towards the Lord's hat than the traditional Homburg. Its up to you how to proceed with bashing.

citRon

A-List Customer
Garrett...WOW!!!

Most impressive cache! Do I assume correctly that the Homburg is a bit more 'formal' than a Fedora, per say?

wldthistle

New in Town
citRon said:
Most impressive cache! Do I assume correctly that the Homburg is a bit more 'formal' than a Fedora, per say?

Yep, that's why Flitcraft and I are looking to get homburgs to go with our tuxedos. The next step up would be the top hat, which I think should really be reserved for full dress (white tie).

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep on the Homburg being more formal. Source; here and Wikipedia
Didn't Harrison Ford wear one in "Sabrina" as well?

The more I read and see, the more I'm thinking of getting one.
I was glad to find this forum but am thinking that it may end up being an dollar dwindling relationship ;)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Goose, you are clearly a bright individual, but it will not save you! Your soul (and your bank account) are now forfeit! Mwahahahaha!

This new thread is most fortuitous. I just became a Homburgadore this very day. :D Pics to come.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I never thought I'd have one but I own two of them,Knox superfines.I bid on them not knowing they were homburgs.I'm glad I did I love them.They are two different shades of a color I would call mouse.The colors don't look right in this picture they are a little darker,greyish-brownish....

P1030782.jpg
[/IMG]

barrowjh

One Too Many
d'ja say sumpn 'bout 'bergs?

012509001.jpg

This is my fave Homberg; a really old Cunningham. Jimmy Pierce did a great job of replacing the sweat and reshaping the curl on one side. The felt is really nice. This one is also a bit odd in that it is the only one I have bumped into that does not have any edge binding. I also wanted to show off my rebuild of the box 'innards' and use of cut-up pants hangar to duplicate the effect of the curled cardboard for the hat brim to rest on. A bag of lavender shown also.
012509002.jpg

closer look at that Cunningham.

Here is a trio of Stetson (black, right), Adam (black, middle), and a grey Willard. I use the Adam as a beater during winter yard work.
012509004.jpg

another angle on those 3.

012509008.jpg

Here is a different grouping with a medium brown Borsalino and the Cunningham; note that the Willard has a tiny brim edge bead binding, and note the shorter crown on the Borsalino - ruins the hat in my opinion.
012509009.jpg

Another look at that last grouping.

012509006.jpg

and a look at all 5 'bergs together. I like the Homberg to be curled sharp front to back, which really pulls the sides up high, the desired effect. I find that I have to refresh that curl about once a year - the hats tend to flatten out front to back as they sit in the box. You might notice that the Cunningham is looking a bit flatter than the rest; I need to refresh it. The 'bergs have to compete against my best fur felt fedoras and as a result are only worn 2 or 3 times a year (each) at most.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
late '40s early '50s Lee- look at the stamp inside.
It had fore and aft pinches, but I forgot to pop the back ones in for this picture.
IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Early 1900s crossover homburg. The brim has an overwelt, but does not snap down.
IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

early '30's Mallory. Incredibly high crown with a deep crease. Front pinches are not my doing. The brim is flanged with the front and back down. A very unusual hat.
IMG_0602-1.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
As some of you know, I've been looking for a homburg to wear for an event coming up in the future. Now I have one. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I think I need to get more!!!! lol

Alright, the details;
I picked it up during the Philly gathering yesterday, and found it thanks to Dumbjaw's quick eye. The liner says "Lagomarsimo (I think) Nutria." I assume that means it's a Nutria felt. It feels different from any other felt I've handled.

It's nice and soft, and I have side dents in it. Black-on-black.

Now, the pictures. Please excuse the casual attire, and ignore the look on my face. I was being blasted by very cold wind.
Homburg02.jpg

Homburg03.jpg

A little B&W to show the dents slightly better.
HomburgBW.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ