Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks Great....

Homburg02.jpg

I'm glad to see you finally got one. Let me say that you're a natural for a Homburg. :eusa_clap

MattJH

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Alright, the details;
I picked it up during the Philly gathering yesterday, and found it thanks to Dumbjaw's quick eye. The liner says "Lagomarsimo (I think) Nutria."

Hah. Thanks! I'm glad I could help out. I found a thread here mentioning a Lagomarsino Nutria, and I found their official website here. They're based out of Argentina. In this thread, Steven from Bencraft states that "...the quality was better than any hat made here in the USA including Stetson and Bailey...".

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I just found my dad's old Homburg up in the attic. It's pretty dirty and smooshed up because it had been in the bottom of a bag. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape. The brim seems to be rolled up a little too much from the way it's been stored the last 40 years.

It's a Portis hat labeled as Royal Quality with a Swansback finish. I'd guess it's from the late 40s-early 50s.

Homburg2.jpg

bolthead

Pduck said:
I just found my dad's old Homburg up in the attic. It's pretty dirty and smooshed up because it had been in the bottom of a bag. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape. The brim seems to be rolled up a little too much from the way it's been stored the last 40 years.

It's a Portis hat labeled as Royal Quality with a Swansback finish. I'd guess it's from the late 40s-early 50s.

Homburg2.jpg
Does it have a Red satin liner?

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Thats an old one. Mid '30s at the very newest.

I didn't realize that it was that old. It probably belonged to my great uncle. I think I remember seeing him in a Homburg. It would have been passed on to my father and then to me. I've always liked those hats -- they lend an air of elegance and "old money" (not that I have any - old or new!)

barrowjh

One Too Many
even-steven, it looks flattened (relaxed) out. Get a tea kettle going, hold the hat upside down, and move the hat around to steam the brim all around. Put it on a stretcher (or your head) right-side up and pull down on the front and back brim as it cools and re-stiffens, to produce the proper front-to-back curl, pulling the sides up high. That will take care of the 'wide brim' look.

Mr. Paladin

Petition To Join.

I would like to join in this new FL Homburg Nation. As an entry petition, I submit my two homburgs for consideration.

First, my new Selentino Alpha, purchased last summer. Medium grey with grey ribbon and low crown.

Homburgs015.jpg

Homburgs016.jpg

Homburgs017.jpg

Next is my newest acquisition, a Borsalino Alessandria won on e-Bay last week. It is a grey-brown color I have dubbed "housefire grey". (It appears more brown than it really is in the photo.) It needed a good brushing, light steaming, and I had to remove the completely tattered plastic membrane over the liner crest as it was irreparable. I added the side dents for a contrast to my Selentino and slightly re-aligned and re-formed the crease. The crown is slightly higher as well. I like it!

Homburgs006.jpg

Homburgs008.jpg

Homburgs009.jpg

Homburgs011.jpg

Homburgs012.jpg

Homburgs014.jpg

Homburgs007.jpg

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
barrowjh said:
even-steven, it looks flattened (relaxed) out. Get a tea kettle going, hold the hat upside down, and move the hat around to steam the brim all around. Put it on a stretcher (or your head) right-side up and pull down on the front and back brim as it cools and re-stiffens, to produce the proper front-to-back curl, pulling the sides up high. That will take care of the 'wide brim' look.

Thanks for the tip, barrowjh! Altho, the H-burg as-is is kinda growing on me. It feels like one of those Deadwood-style late 19th century citified Western lids.

Mr. Paladin

Not-Bogart13 said:
Paladin, I really like that brown/grey borsalino! That is a color I'd love to see in person! :eusa_clap

It is a hard color to describe. It has more grey in it than the photo shows, but the brown is a definite presence and influences the tone strongly. I am going to try it with a grey suit this weekend when we go for an evening out, and see if the grey suit brings the grey out more.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Topdog

Familiar Face
This is my second Homburg. I picked it up at an ebay store last week for $35. It is also my first Cavanagh and it also came with the vintage box in excellent condition. It looks absolutely new. Does anyone have an idea of the vinatge?
homburg1.jpg

homburg2.jpg

homburg5.jpg

homburg4.jpg

homburg3.jpg

This is my first Homburg. It is an indian Homburg that i got in change about 3 years ago.
1913hoboobv.jpg

Topdog

Familiar Face
Sort of... I spotted it it in the cash drawer at Walgreens and asked the girl for it in change. She had no idea what it was. As a coin collector, it was a highlight for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112