Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Light to medium brown, size 58cm and near new condition. Sweatband date stamped 12/27/58. Hut Seidl Munich had a direct relationship with Mayser so this is some type of custom model. This is my new first place Homburg.

5224627398_816bb82116_b.jpg

I would have guessed a little older than '58. that is a great hat!

thebroker

One of the Regulars
With my newest acquisition, I'd like to formally petition for membership in the Homburg Nation! I picked this beauty up on eBay several weeks ago, and sent it to Optimo for restoration. There were able to clean the original liner, but replaced the sweatband and ribbon.

photo-30.jpg

photo-31.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have guessed a little older than '58. that is a great hat!

It is a great hat. It's a beauty. What I'd like to know is, how many years would this color have been in vogue? As I mentioned a few weeks ago, it's an identical color with a low-crown Borsalino I bought on E Bay. It's a very pleasing color. But I'll bet this is a one-year color, or at most a two-year color, rather than a standard line as would be a gray, green or dark brown color. The color in this case no doubt determines the age pretty exactly.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
gimli, that's a real beauty. Take good care of it, wear it, and its value will rise steadily, monetary and sentimental both!
First time here. Just wondering if you guys can help me. I've had this hat for years and years now. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about it. The manufacturer is Herbert Johnson. I don't know the proper age but it does say By Appointment, Hatter, H.M. The King so obviously it's pre1953 when Queen Elizabeth II became queen. It also says Made Specially for Pesterre's, Beverly Hills. I have found a very little bit about Herbert Johnson. They apparently still make hats and do a lot for the British armed forces, but their website is next to no help at all for what they make now. No photos really, just an email address for inquiries.

I can't find anything about Pesterre's so I have no idea what that is.

Thanks to this site I've made the assumption that this is a Homburg. This photo may not be the best but it has only the center crease at the top, no little indents or anything and the edge of the brim goes up a bit all the way around. No idea if I am saying things properly, forgive me if not!

It seems to be about right size wise for me, but I think I want to get it cleaned and I think reblocked is the term. It's a bit wonky at the top, not all that crisp anymore. There are some little indents and stuff that are not supposed to be there. I guess 60 + years will do that to a hat!

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know if it's valuable. I don't want to sell it but it would be nice to know if I'm walking around with $30 on my head or $300!

5130900360_1024e284c1.jpg

5130297889_7f84438dbb.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here's the current state of my very unconventional homburg:

Photoon2011-12-30at01383.jpg

Photoon2011-12-30at0137.jpg

Still holding up well, although it has been a while since this hat in particular has encountered rainfall.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
At what point does an Homburg stop being an homburg and becomes a fedora with a pencil curled brim? or is it like the marines? once a marine always a marine?

I would say that given the traditional definitions of each style this one would be classified as just a felt hat. :) I have never seen or heard of a "Fedora" with a pencil curled brim, nor a "Homburg" with a teardrop/front pinch crown :) It's an unclassifiable lid :) Onward thru the fog :)

Last edited:
Wegener Homburg

Black, size 59cm probably early 1960s. All around super high quality and in great condition. Wegener detail work is some of the finest I have encountered.

5310716950_4355080b74_b.jpg

5310722486_361cf01131_b.jpg

5310700224_3c8972475a_b.jpg

5310110787_b8a6d8d504_b.jpg

5310110715_15237dee9e_b.jpg

5310700312_a370e9f889_b.jpg

5310110627_b8b4fe0965_b.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I would say that given the traditional definitions of each style this one would be classified as just a felt hat. :) I have never seen or heard of a "Fedora" with a pencil curled brim, nor a "Homburg" with a teardrop/front pinch crown :) It's an unclassifiable lid :) Onward thru the fog :)

The elusiveness of the fog indeed... I know it's brand marked as a homburg and all, but it looks to me more like a fedora right now, just with a "bound-edge" look, if it could be with that pencil curl. I wet it with shower water to reshape it, and I'm fine with it. It may be somewhat challenging to get the remnants of the teardrop crease out if I ever want to revert it to it's original state, but I can see myself keeping it this way for a long time. For me at least, it's got an almost perfect low-crown height that suits my face, if I say so myself, and the brim width is pretty moderate, about 2 1/4 inches, maybe it's technically more if the brim was uncurled though.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Here's the current state of my very unconventional homburg:

Photoon2011-12-30at01383.jpg

Photoon2011-12-30at0137.jpg

Still holding up well, although it has been a while since this hat in particular has encountered rainfall.

I really like the crown, and I see no problem with it as a homburg, however, I do not like the brim treatment. It just doesn't look right to me. I would either relax the brim into a fedora (a little tough, but doable), or, which I highly suggest, put it back in a more traditional homburgish smile. The quasi-snapped shape with the curled brim just seems a bit out of wack.

However, if you like it, by all means. Style is only largely in personal innovation.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, well the brim isn't perfect. I find myself adjusting it pretty frequently. I switch between the downward look and the up position, actually. But if I were to actually steam the brim, to extend the roll, it would make the hat quite a bit wider, maybe more so than I am used to with this piece. I think I'll keep it how it is for the time being, I'm almost certain I won't remove the pencil edge. As for how it looks in that picture, I'm OK with it. It looks a bit "rumpled" on the brim with how I positioned it, come to think.

Scotus

One of the Regulars

I must agree. I would never look at that and say, "Homburg!"

If it doesn't look like a duck, walk like a duck, or quack like a duck... :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Saks & Co Back-bow Homburg

5345925845_3de5d62ae4_b.jpg
5346540180_0534a3ab41_b.jpg

5346590246_8b56ced88f_z.jpg
5344414676_e24987da2a_z.jpg

compared to Stetson Standard Quality of mid 30's
5346620820_a603506735_b.jpg

Just over 5-1/2" creased crown and 2-1/4" wide sweatband.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace