Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

What is interesting is Edward went against prevailing formal fashion by wearing what became to be known as the Homburg. The Homburg of Edward was gray only, with German brim curl and a tall tapered crown.

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I say go ahead and wear it. The idea of it being a formal hat is long gone. Most people will see it as just another hat.

It is informal enough for Bernie Mac prison garb!
martin_lawrence5.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
Adding side dents can give them a less formal look or going with a light color vs. black.

With side dents (sort of like a rancher crease), that's about the only way I can wear a Homie. I feel the bims look too short for me in your average Homburg. As I posted earlier, I have that 3 inch brim Homburg and it looks good on me because it is a much wider brim.

The Homburg in 1925 photo has a wider brim and not the standard center crease. I have a few with wider brims although not 3 inches to the curl. If you get a chance post your Homburg here too.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's a great Dunn & Co.! I'm starting to really like those stitched curls. Is that both curled and overwelt? This might fall into the recently discussed "Lord's hat" category.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone here have a good screen capture of Colin Firth in The Kings Speech where he is bundled up out for a walk with Geoffrey rush wearing his pinched homburg? At least I think it is a homburg judging by the brim, and it has a really pinched crown. Thanks in advance if you can.:)

Cheers!

Dan

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
That's a great Dunn & Co.! I'm starting to really like those stitched curls. Is that both curled and overwelt? This might fall into the recently discussed "Lord's hat" category.

Thanks Bowlerman, it's just folded and stitched. I have another black homburg which I wanted to post pics of but it has no lining and the sweat band has disintegrated. It has a narrower brim and smaller crown shape. I'll take it to Lock & Co for repairing and I'll post the pics when it's done.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
Thanks Wise Hatter for the screen grabs. I know a homburg isn't supposed to have a pinch but I think it often works well. I have no problem wearing a homburg either way but here in England the traditionalists sometimes like to "advise" me the pinch isn't correct. I don't care - a lot of people used to pinch their homburg back in the days. Anyone else agree? Does anyone here stick rigidly to the protocol?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace