Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the same homburg in the listing that my signature links to. Love the look and feel of it, but the seller didn't measure the size correctly. They had reported a measurement equivalent to size 59, when in reality it's a 57. It's unfortunate, but at the very least it gave me a chance to get a feel for a vintage Stetson :D.

StetsonSovereign5.jpg

StetsonSovereign6.jpg

StetsonSovereign3.jpg

StetsonSovereign1.jpg

StetsonSovereign4.jpg

StetsonSovereign2.jpg

Neophyte

No, just someone inexperienced with hats and their sizing. I could see how, using a cloth tape, someone could misjudge the circumference by half an inch. I correlated measurements from cloth tape and ellipse circumference calculators, both of which gave me a size of 22.5'', or a 7 1/8 (give or take a millimeter or so). It ain't off by much from my size 23'', but when it comes to hats that's a HUGE difference.

Someone may come along eventually to rescue this hat, but for now it remains a display piece. Ah well, I'm not saddened. I've got other hats heading my way to make up for it :D.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Dan, I do believe that the Longworth hats were made by Longs Hats which are the same people who made the LongRoyal for ADAM in the 30's and early 40's. I have owned one fedora made by them which was too big on me so I sold it. There have only been a couple hats made by Longs (whether for their own brand distribution or for ADAM) that have been found on the lounge and I would consider it VERY rare.

Very interesting indeed. Thank you for that info and the pictures. I know that my price tag reads $4.40 "Mail Order Department" 665 Broadway, New York City. The duplication number is 465. Cool stuff!

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This is the same homburg in the listing that my signature links to. Love the look and feel of it, but the seller didn't measure the size correctly. They had reported a measurement equivalent to size 59, when in reality it's a 57. It's unfortunate, but at the very least it gave me a chance to get a feel for a vintage Stetson :D.

StetsonSovereign5.jpg

Reminds me of my St. Regis.
100_5817.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Neophyte

I'll admit, Dan, that I'm finding it hard to tell the difference. Perhaps the "St. Regis" is of a higher felt quality that "The Sovereign".

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's the other way around. I don't recall if the St. Regis is generally a Royal or a Royal Deluxe but, in either case, Sovereign is a higher quality felt.

Neophyte

Ah, my mistake. I thought the sweatband imprint of "The Sovereign" was the model name. :eusa_doh:

Thank you, Lefty.

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I was going to say that I think you're both right and that there's the "Sovereign" level of quality designation, and that "The Sovereign" is the model of that particular homburg. But a quick use of Google proved that there are fedora-styled hats with the same "The Sovereign" sweatband imprint, so the nod goes to Lefty. I even found a thread of Jimmy the Lid's of a Stetson with "The Open Road", "Stetson Twenty", and "The Sovereign" designations on the sweatband! (Fine-looking hat, too.)

The editor in me wonders why, if it's "The Sovereign", it isn't "The Royal De Luxe", etcetera, but pursuing that question leads to madness! :eeek:

Cheers,
Tom

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
"Sovereign" is tricky, as is "Imperial". I think that both have been models and quality designations.

Neo, just for a quick run down, here's the basic order for Stetson quality in dress hats. The distinctions are dependent upon the hats being from the same era. Later hat of a given designation = lower quality, meaning that a Royal from the 40s might be superior to a 3x of the 60s. The Xs and "number" qualities can be odd, as some are frequently seen in dress hats (like 3x), while others are almost only seen in western styles (like 25 or 100).
Royal
Royal Stetson Deluxe (later Royal Deluxe Stetson)
3x/Imperial/15
20/Sovereign
25 (I think JtL's might be the only non-OR or western I've seen in this category)
5xCB (seemingly short-lived, later 50 and 7XCB)
100 (to the extent you'll ever see a dress hat as a 100)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hi, Bowlerman,

It's a Stetson 3X Beaver Quality Mode Edge. Fortunately, that's what I named the photo as I haven't a clue at the moment as to where it is. It's gotta be in one of these hat boxes somewhere... [huh]

Cheers,
Tom

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's the other way around. I don't recall if the St. Regis is generally a Royal or a Royal Deluxe but, in either case, Sovereign is a higher quality felt.

Yeah, mine is a "Royal Stetson Deluxe". Here is a liner shot. It was originally sold at "Gruber's" in Irvington, NJ.
100_5775.jpg

It would be interesting to know when that store was in operation and if it is still around. May have to do a little research.

Cheers!

Dan

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure there's a lot more out there, as I picked this up pretty quickly. Gruber's is second from the bottom in the first column.
grub3.jpg

grub1.jpg

grub2.jpg

A. Peschel "Norma" Homburg

Size 59cm. Very early 1960s and in near NOS condition. This is my first A. Peschel Dinkelsbühl Homburg and it's fantastic.

6057183633_bd9e6dc4fb_b.jpg

6057796620_c8302ff0c0_b.jpg

6057738202_fc5bf98756_b.jpg

6057797048_e6b907356c_b.jpg

6057251229_4d3a96c347_b.jpg

6057249887_8563d231c6_b.jpg

6057798338_8d8c8e205b_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn