Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Recommendations

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What size are you. You should check the classified section there may be a homburg or two that are vintage and in your size;)

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
DOUGLAS said:
What size are you. You should check the classified section there may be a homburg or two that are vintage and in your size;)

7 1/4 U.S.....And my thanks for the replies, Gents!

mingoslim

Practically Family
I might have a homburg for you . . .

A very nice, very vintage Resistol . . . Probably 40s, but maybe 30s . . .
Let me know if you are interested . . . just PM me . . .

hat-resistolhomburg03.jpg

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Akubra makes a homburg, which might be worth looking into.

Oh no! Another Akubra to search for!:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm not so much a fan of the new homburgs that have a big dip in the front and back (compare that akubra, if that's what it is to the borsalino on the bencraft hat, or to the vintage one). Granted, a homburg that's flat all the way around does take a bit of getting used to, but wear it a bit, and it looks so much better, at least I think it does.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Dickie...

i bought one of those "corleone" hats and then exchanged it for something else. it makes you look less like a banker or diplomat . . . and more like PIMP.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Epic, thats who wore homburgs years ago - diplomats and bankers. The Dobbs hat that we sell was calld the bankers hat for years. What happened in the late 1980's is that the hip hop trade embraced the homburg for their fasion styles and it took off. We sold hundreds of wool "godfathers" in colors such as gray and brown as well as red and pink!
But a well dressed man should always have a homburg in their wardrobe .

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
epic610 said:
i bought one of those "corleone" hats and then exchanged it for something else. it makes you look less like a banker or diplomat . . . and more like PIMP.

Agreed...I prefer the "Churchill" model of those pictured on the site. Has a certain classic look to it.....More Banker/Statesman than most of the other Modern Homburgs I've seen, which, as you have rightly observed have an unflattering "PIMP" look to them.

Dickie

New in Town
I agree the churchill is very nice - sad to hear about the corleone though - it looks attractive on the site, but the last thing you want is to look like a pimp! The Prince Albert's got a bit too wide a brim for taste - 3" on a homburg is massive!

akaBruno

Suspended
Dickie said:
3" on a homburg is massive!

Remember that monster that stole Hugh's hat in “VAN HELSING” 2004 ? That guy made that 4" brim look like lil ol stingy. :D

That's how I feel in anything less than 2 & 3/4. lol

Bruno

Dickie

New in Town
I've got a friend who has a really narrow chiseled face - he makes brims of under 2" look like much more - which is useful as they're usually a lot cheaper than 2 1/4 +. I think I look best in the low 2s...

Edward

Bartender
That 3" brimmed Homburg looks great - I prefer a wide brim, myself, 2 1/2" at the smallest, up to 3". I'd like to pick up a homburg eventually for black tie wear (maybe one day I might also pick up a grey one); I like the wide brims as it makes them look less like a bowler. I've never cared for a bowler, myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy