Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Watching he multiple Hornskov videos I have not ever seen him pouncing a hat to any degree> I just thought that he is buying the FEPSA felts that come fully pounced from the factory.

Someone in the FB group said Hornskov might be one of the best hatters out there, I replied that he used pre-pounced FEPSA blanks*. Well, Peter saw that and said something along the lines of "because I choose to use the best, doesn't mean I can't work with anything else" (again, paraphrasing). I said that I've made hats from a Winchester body and a FEPSA body and one took considerably more time and effort than the other. That ended the exchange apparently.

*I don't mean this as a knock against Hornskov, I honestly do like many of their hats. I just think there's a different level of artistry between forming A pre pounced body and say, the scorch finish from BSHW, or the suede finish that Art used to do, or how some hatters can thin out a body.

Someone in the FB group said Hornskov might be one of the best hatters out there, I replied that he used pre-pounced FEPSA blanks*. Well, Peter saw that and said something along the lines of "because I choose to use the best, doesn't mean I can't work with anything else" (again, paraphrasing). I said that I've made hats from a Winchester body and a FEPSA body and one took considerably more time and effort than the other. That ended the exchange apparently.

*I don't mean this as a knock against Hornskov, I honestly do like many of their hats. I just think there's a different level of artistry between forming A pre pounced body and say, the scorch finish from BSHW, or the suede finish that Art used to do, or how some hatters can thin out a body.
Yes, I fully agree. The FEPSA 95gr beaver felts are a wonderful item and I love working with them. But, as I have learned, the most involved/subtle/nuanced skill in learning to hat is working the felt and with the FEPSA 95gr a hatter does not have to work the felt at all.....the factory produces the finish. Art Fawcett, a true master hatter, paid homage to Rodney Allison, saying the finish he is able to produce on a felt is a wonder.....and unsurpassed in the world of hatters. If I continue to make hats perhaps in another 5 or 10 years I might get to say I am adept at this aspect of hatting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner