Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

The Shoe

One Too Many
You’ve probably seen it already on other threads, but here is my Christmas present Hornskov Emissary. Pure beaver, black cherry, tall crown, 7cm bound brimm. I changed the ribbon to vintage grosgrain in midnight blue and added a wind trolley.
IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1436.jpeg
IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
You’ve pr seen it already on other threads, but here is my Christmas present Hornskov Emissary. Pure beaver, black cherry, tall crown, 7cm bound brimm. I changed the ribbon to vintage grosgrain in midnight blue and added a wind trolley.
View attachment 575989 View attachment 575990 View attachment 575991 View attachment 575992
View attachment 575993 View attachment 575988 View attachment 575994
It's a beauty, Gary. I think I mentioned it before, I love that colour. Good choice of ribbon and wind trolley, too. A classic looking hat.

I’ve seen lots of videos of fedoras being made, but never a top hat before. I found it pretty interesting. The block is amazing - quite a surprise for me when he pulled it out, but I guess it’s how they have to do it to get that reverse taper.
https://fb.watch/qefBg5PBBI/?
Those puzzle blocks are very expensive. I would like to have even just one just because they are so cool.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I’ve seen lots of videos of fedoras being made, but never a top hat before. I found it pretty interesting. The block is amazing - quite a surprise for me when he pulled it out, but I guess it’s how they have to do it to get that reverse taper.
A beautifully made felt top hat.

Nothing like the silk top hats of yesterday. But those days are long gone.

This is probaly the most expansive clip of making one. Spoorenberg hats of Eindhoven.

The Shoe

One Too Many

This is probaly the most expansive clip of making one. Spoorenberg hats of Eindhoven.

Thanks for the videos. They were fascinating.
I tried a top hat on in a shop once. Etsuko said it looked good on me, but with no opportunity to wear one, I can’t see approval for purchase being obtained.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the videos. They were fascinating.
I tried a top hat on in a shop once. Etsuko said it looked good on me, but with no opportunity to wear one, I can’t see approval for purchase being obtained.
You're half way there Gary if Etsuko says a Topper looks good on you. Another argument could be all your FL friends have one :cool:

StoryPNW

Practically Family
It's time to cash in my deposit, I'm looking to get a slightly modified Angelo, 7.5cm brim rather than 8.5cm, and a 35mm ribbon instead of the 50mm. I am up in the air whether to get the 100x or 50x but after rereading this thread I believe I will go for the 50x if it is indeed more shapeable. I'm hoping for a vintage western (BRE) vibe.
Angelo.png

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
It's time to cash in my deposit, I'm looking to get a slightly modified Angelo, 7.5cm brim rather than 8.5cm, and a 35mm ribbon instead of the 50mm. I am up in the air whether to get the 100x or 50x but after rereading this thread I believe I will go for the 50x if it is indeed more shapeable. I'm hoping for a vintage western (BRE) vibe.
View attachment 594135
Have you talked to Peter & Cathrine re the felts? The Molbech and the Alberti used to be his reshapable hats, but that has been removed from the description. I was considering an Alberti for my last Hornskov and asked them about it. Cathrine said that they could do it as a reshapable hat for me, which suggests they do something different to the felt…maybe pounce it a little more…no idea, really. I didn’t go any further with my enquiries since I decided to go for the Emissary.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Have you talked to Peter & Cathrine re the felts? The Molbech and the Alberti used to be his reshapable hats, but that has been removed from the description. I was considering an Alberti for my last Hornskov and asked them about it. Cathrine said that they could do it as a reshapable hat for me, which suggests they do something different to the felt…maybe pounce it a little more…no idea, really. I didn’t go any further with my enquiries since I decided to go for the Emissary.
I just sent Cathrine another email tonight asking about this. I always thought it was interesting that the Molbech only came in the beaver blend, but I am starting to understand why.

mrkjhn

New in Town
Has anyone used their discount from last year, and pencil in just how it calculates out? Curious as to the pricing structure that's used to apply the discount upon.

Watching he multiple Hornskov videos I have not ever seen him pouncing a hat to any degree> I just thought that he is buying the FEPSA felts that come fully pounced from the factory.
I just sent Cathrine another email tonight asking about this. I always thought it was interesting that the Molbech only came in the beaver blend, but I am starting to understand why.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Has anyone used their discount from last year, and pencil in just how it calculates out? Curious as to the pricing structure that's used to apply the discount upon.
I was lazy and didn’t do the calculations, though I did, at one point, calculate how much my hat would cost if I bought it at the new price without a discount. That was when I realised for sure that I won’t be purchasing another Hornskov.
One thing I would say, is to make sure you get the discount applied to any late additions you make to your hat. When I added a wind trolley, they initially quoted the full price. I think it was just an oversight. They applied the discount immediately when I mentioned it.

mrkjhn

New in Town
I inquired about what makes a hat re-shapable, and the difference between treatment:

"A reshapable crown coms soft, so you can shape it over and over again, as soon as you use steam the felt will remember that shape. It has the same stiffener as other dress weight hats. "

Ordered an open crown, beaver/hare blend. I question the price given that the discount was applied to: didn't seem to reflect the 2023 prices before the increase, which was supposed to be the base that the 30% discount applied to, not 30% off the newer pricing. True, the price given was less than current price by about 16% ($105) but the difference between 2023 prices and the 2024 are quite a bit wider.

Went ahead and completed the order anyway, but will probably be looking elsewhere in the future for my next hat.

I have a custom Hufvud which is excellent, and no doubt the Hornskov will be just as well and looking forward to receiving it. It's just that in the future I'm afraid price is playing more of a role in making choices.

I inquired about what makes a hat re-shapable, and the difference between treatment:

"A reshapable crown coms soft, so you can shape it over and over again, as soon as you use steam the felt will remember that shape. It has the same stiffener as other dress weight hats. "

Ordered an open crown, beaver/hare blend. I question the price given that the discount was applied to: didn't seem to reflect the 2023 prices before the increase, which was supposed to be the base that the 30% discount applied to, not 30% off the newer pricing. True, the price given was less than current price by about 16% ($105) but the difference between 2023 prices and the 2024 are quite a bit wider.

Went ahead and completed the order anyway, but will probably be looking elsewhere in the future for my next hat.

I have a custom Hufvud which is excellent, and no doubt the Hornskov will be just as well and looking forward to receiving it. It's just that in the future I'm afraid price is playing more of a role in making choices.
All hat makers are getting squeezed by price increases and product shortages. I think we will continue to see prices rise as our existing inventory of felts runs out and we have to replentish stock at today's inflated prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner