Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

Coler

New in Town
Well I had been admiring these and had decided to go for one. I was comfortable with 500 euros or so for what I wantes in pure beaver but his prices have gone way up - over 800 euros for what I had in mind.

I like quality clothes especially outerwear but that's way over what I would spend on a hat. Just me?

Well I had been admiring these and had decided to go for one. I was comfortable with 500 euros or so for what I wantes in pure beaver but his prices have gone way up - over 800 euros for what I had in mind.

I like quality clothes especially outerwear but that's way over what I would spend on a hat. Just me?
In his defense the price of beaver felt has almost tripled in the last 3 years. But yes, I have limits on what I will spend on any one hat.....and 800euros is well over it.

It’s not just you. There has been an increase in the price of felt, but I think there has been some disproportional increases in profit margins too.

I’d give Hufvud a look and see what he can make you. Personally, I’ve think they are better hats too.

https://hufvud.com/pages/custom-order-pricing

In his defense the price of beaver felt has almost tripled in the last 3 years. But yes, I have limits on what I will spend on any one hat.....and 800euros is well over it.

Unless Hufvud is selling at a loss, I don’t see the HUGE increase in beaver from hatters who get felt directly from FEPSA. I don’t think all of the price increases we’ve seen can be attributed to raw materials or what the factory is charging. Personally, I think profit margins on hat bodies have gone way up with some distributors. Winchester’s prices have gone up, but not terribly so, and certainly nothing like FEPSA felt.

It’s not just you. There has been an increase in the price of felt, but I think there has been some disproportional increases in profit margins too.

I’d give Hufvud a look and see what he can make you. Personally, I’ve think they are better hats too.

https://hufvud.com/pages/custom-order-pricing

Unless Hufvud is selling at a loss, I don’t see the HUGE increase in beaver from hatters who get felt directly from FEPSA. I don’t think all of the price increases we’ve seen can be attributed to raw materials or what the factory is charging. Personally, I think profit margins on hat bodies have gone way up with some distributors. Winchester’s prices have gone up, but not terribly so, and certainly nothing like FEPSA felt.
Beaver pricing is a mystery. Beaver pelts, at auction, have more than doubled in price in the last 2+ years. 2021 - $12 per pelt, 2022 -$25 and then at auction this spring a pelt commanded $30. The good news is that at $30 a pelt a trapper can actually earn a living!

Perhaps Winchester has forward purchased (are there beaver pelt futures contracts?) their supply that gives them certain immunity from the increases?
@purebeaver is now asking $300 for their 140gram FEPSA dress weight beaver. He is not planning to bring in any dress weight 100% beaver due to price. He has orders placed at the factory for Dec/Jan delivery on 10% beaver blends and is not sure what his costs will be. But that will be his dress weight top line offering as his customers can't compete with competition with access to Winchester's prices.

Beaver pricing is a mystery. Beaver pelts, at auction, have more than doubled in price in the last 2+ years. 2021 - $12 per pelt, 2022 -$25 and then at auction this spring a pelt commanded $30. The good news is that at $30 a pelt a trapper can actually earn a living!

Perhaps Winchester has forward purchased (are there beaver pelt futures contracts?) their supply that gives them certain immunity from the increases?
@purebeaver is now asking $300 for their 140gram FEPSA dress weight beaver. He is not planning to bring in any dress weight 100% beaver due to price. He has orders placed at the factory for Dec/Jan delivery on 10% beaver blends and is not sure what his costs will be. But that will be his dress weight top line offering as his customers can't compete with competition with access to Winchester's prices.

I have no idea what the breakdown is on costs. How much of the wholesale cost is attributable to the cost of the raw materials/beaver pelts?

It just seems odd that some European hatters can offer 100% beaver hats from FEPSA felt for $440 US that includes shipping if they are paying similar prices that North American hatters are for felt. My understanding is that the beaver used in hats is the least expensive of the beaver too.

IMG_2541.jpeg
IMG_2540.jpeg

https://www.trappingtoday.com/2022-2023-fur-prices-trapping-todays-fur-market-forecast/

I have no idea what the breakdown is on costs. How much of the wholesale cost is attributable to the cost of the raw materials/beaver pelts?

It just seems odd that some European hatters can offer 100% beaver hats from FEPSA felt for $440 US that includes shipping if they are paying similar prices that North American hatters are for felt. My understanding is that the beaver used in hats is the least expensive of the beaver too.

View attachment 537313 View attachment 537314
https://www.trappingtoday.com/2022-2023-fur-prices-trapping-todays-fur-market-forecast/
From what I have read it takes upwards of 4 pelts to make a capeline so yes, they must be using the lower grade pelts. Perhaps Graham at Optimo is paying for the higher grade pure beaver belly fur for his hats.

From what I have read it takes upwards of 4 pelts to make a capeline so yes, they must be using the lower grade pelts. Perhaps Graham at Optimo is paying for the higher grade pure beaver belly fur for his hats.

I watched a Resistol video on YouTube where the beaver pelts graders referred to the lowest grade of pelts as “hatters.” As it’s bleached and dyed and no guard hairs are used, it makes sense that the lower grade pelts are used for hats.

I would link the Resistol video but it’s full of factual errors.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Pellie

One Too Many

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

The Shoe

One Too Many
That's one of those hats I may have to copy! Would you PM me the specs, Gary?
I didn’t adjust the specs from the Hornskov page. Tall crown and 7cm brim. The only things I changed were to use vintage grosgrain ribbon rather than petersham, and to add a wind trolley. The Hornskov customisation page defines a tall crown as 12-15cm.
Sadly, this will be my last Hornskov. I’ve just checked the price and to get the same hat made again would cost me almost three times what I paid. In fact, I don’t see another custom hat in my future (though Steve’s @Steve1857 Wolfbrae pork pie does give me pause…I seem to recall that was a Tonak felt, right Steve?). I think I’ll just rely on the likes of Stefan, Brent, and Daniele from here on in.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I didn’t adjust the specs from the Hornskov page. Tall crown and 7cm brim. The only things I changed were to use vintage grosgrain ribbon rather than petersham, and to add a wind trolley. The Hornskov customisation page defines a tall crown as 12-15cm.
Sadly, this will be my last Hornskov. I’ve just checked the price and to get the same hat made again would cost me almost three times what I paid. In fact, I don’t see another custom hat in my future (though Steve’s @Steve1857 Wolfbrae pork pie does give me pause…I seem to recall that was a Tonak felt, right Steve?). I think I’ll just rely on the likes of Stefan, Brent, and Daniele from here on in.
A Tonak felt it was, Gary. I can recommend Robert at Wolfbrae. A great guy to work with in lots of ways.

I'm Looking forward though to my first Hornskov. Still working on it :cool:

StoryPNW

One Too Many
I put in my deposit this summer, but I still haven't placed my order yet. Decisions, decisions!

I understand what you mean about prices, I think this will likely be my only Hornskov with the way prices are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy