Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Well, on further investigation, I found that the Gannon would actually cost me significantly more than a Hornskov, especially with shipping considered in (Michael said around $70 to Japan). As much as I’d like a Gannon, I’ve just paid my Hornskov deposit, and sent Michael an apologetic email canceling my order.
Gary, you're a bad influence, mate. Now I've put down my deposit. Looks like I might finally be getting a Hornskov hat :cool:

The Shoe

One Too Many
My Hornskov Alberti arrived. This is their 50X (50% beaver) and part of the reshapable line.

The good: the FELT is very nice! It isn’t quite as clay-like as the video and it will spring back just a bit, but it is great felt! It was finished evenly and has a great hand. This felt is as good or better than many of my better vintage hats. It actually reminds me most of my Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe felt. It’s neither thin nor thick, but it’s a great standard dress weight. The dimensions are 6” open crown and 2 7/8 bound brim. The 2” wide sweatband is very thin and unbelievably supple. The hat is 61.5cm and the fit is perfect! I’m not usually a fan of wide brim binding, but I don’t mind it at all on this hat. The liner is sewn in brim binding seam is flawless and the whole hat shows attention to detail. The sweatband does extend down and onto the brim, but that’s a minor issue and doesn’t impact the fit and it’s not visible when worn. I also give them 9.5 out of ten for communication and they only missed out on 10/10 because Mikael at Hufvud set the bar so high.

The bad: I explicitly told them I did not want petersham ribbon. I was told that they were phasing petersham out and that my hat would be made with grosgrain. Immediately upon opening the box I see petersham. Cathrine Hornskov tried to tell me that it was not petersham and that the scalloped edge had nothing to do with petersham? She eventually conceded that the ribbon on my hat is petersham and she offered to take it back to see if they could find grosgrain to replace it with. After a few days I’ve decided to live with it. It really isn’t a bad thing, but it’s not what I wanted, not what I asked for, and not what I was promised. Cathrine also said that in the future I could specify vintage grosgrain or Japanese silk ribbon that won’t be petersham.

Interestingly, this 50X is more re-shapable and more moldable than the 100X pure beaver. It’s all FEPSA felt, but the 50X just has different qualities.

View attachment 282454 View attachment 282455 View attachment 282456 View attachment 282457 View attachment 282458 View attachment 282459 View attachment 282460 View attachment 282461 View attachment 282462

While disappointed over the ribbon, it will order another hat from Hornskov at some point. I have a hat about ready for shipping from Hufvud in FEPSA 100X beaver that I’m curious to compare to this 50X. In any case, I think Hornskov makes a good hat for the price and the 50X reshapable felt is incredible!
Hi Brent.
I’m considering an Alberti and I recalled that you had one, so did a search and found this old post. Is that in stone with brown trimmings? They now list the Alberti as a diamond crown hat, but said they could make it as a reshapable for me If I would prefer. Has your assessment changed at all over the time since you bought it? Has the felt changed at all, or does it still have the same spring back?

Hi Brent.
I’m considering an Alberti and I recalled that you had one, so did a search and found this old post. Is that in stone with brown trimmings? They now list the Alberti as a diamond crown hat, but said they could make it as a reshapable for me If I would prefer. Has your assessment changed at all over the time since you bought it? Has the felt changed at all, or does it still have the same spring back?

Hey, Gary. The felt hasn’t changed since my original review. The spring back is minimal and not really a detraction as far as I’m concerned. I rarely wear the hat do to my dislike of petersham, but that’s a personal pet peeve of mine.

I don’t remember the colors and my old email communications with them don’t mention it. It’s a nice hat, but I haven’t really been tempted to try another. Have you looked at Hufvud just to know what your options are?

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hey, Gary. The felt hasn’t changed since my original review. The spring back is minimal and not really a detraction as far as I’m concerned. I rarely wear the hat do to my dislike of petersham, but that’s a personal pet peeve of mine.

I don’t remember the colors and my old email communications with them don’t mention it. It’s a nice hat, but I haven’t really been tempted to try another. Have you looked at Hufvud just to know what your options are?
Thanks Brent,
I have looked at the Hudford page on occasion, but I’ve put down the deposit on the 30% off deal, so I’m locked in for a Hornskov.
I will do a search, but if anyone would like to show me their black cherry Fepsa felt hats, it would be appreciated. The Alberti doesn’t come in that colour, but one of the other hats I’m considering does.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I’m new to the forum and interested in a Hornskov hat … wishing I’d heard about the discount deal earlier
Anyone wanting to pass on their deposit order let me know …

Any tips on choosing a Hornskov …. I’m thinking open crown so I can do my own thing ….. are black hats in a minority …. I have a mushroom coloured Akubra

Welcome to the forum!
All I can really say is go with what you like. When you say open crown, are you planning to steam in the crease, or do you want a hat that you can reshape with a dry crease each time you wear it? I think the Molbech is the only hat he has as reshapable, but when I recently enquired, Cathrine told me they can do the Alberti as a reshapable hat, too. They would likely be happy to do any beaver/hare dress weight as a reshapable. They’re pretty good with communication, so just ask, and make sure you tell them exactly what you want.
Black hats are popular. I have six. I know one member here has 19 black homburgs and who knows how many black hats in total! You are not dealing with normal people when you sign in to the lounge.

Any tips on choosing a Hornskov …. I’m thinking open crown so I can do my own thing ….. are black hats in a minority …. I have a mushroom coloured Akubra

Black hats can have a formality to them, but that’s not a necessity. I don’t think black is the most versatile color for a fedora. It’s also not the most popular color for a modern custom. Black hats can be a challenge to keep clean, and they can be tough to photograph where the details show (maybe more a comment on my poor photography skills?). Black hats have really grown on me over the years.

For vintage hats, I tend to associate black fedoras with the first three decades of the 20th century. For certain they were not one of the more common fedora colors in the US from the 1940s on.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/no-love-for-black-hats.73015/page-11

Last edited:
Black hats can have a formality to them, but that’s not a necessity. I don’t think black is the most versatile color for a fedora. It’s also not the most popular color for a modern custom. Black hats can be a challenge to keep clean, and they can be tough to photograph where the details show (maybe more a comment on my poor photography skills?). Black hats have really grown on me over the years.

For vintage hats, I tend to associate black fedoras with the first three decades of the 20th century. For certain they were not one of the more common fedora colors in the US from the 1940s on.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/no-love-for-black-hats.73015/page-11
As a hatter I can say in terms of the "market" I don't make very many black hats. Most of my clients own one or two hats and as black is the least versatile colour they tend to purchase felt colours that can be worn with a broader range of coloured clothing. But I do make a few each year and those clients love them.....so.....

Last edited:
As a hatter I can say in terms of the "market" I don't make very many black hats. Most of my clients own one or two hats and as black is the least versatile colour they tend to purchase felt colours that can be worn with a broader range of coloured clothing. But I don make a few each year and those clients love them.....so.....

I think a black hat is very versatile. Black goes with most anything, but it’s…plain. Personally, it works best as a more formal hat or as a casual western. I like bold colors and the classics. There is certainly a place in my rotation for a black hat(s), but I suspect grays and browns outsell black 20 to one.

The Shoe

One Too Many
hmmmmm so I guess sand slate mushroom …. What’s opinions on bottle green
You’ll find some pretty strong opinions about green hats here on the Lounge, too, particularly from the aforementioned 19 black homburg member. Personally, I think the Hornskov forrest felt looks great (on screen - I don’t own one).
My first Hornskov was black. They used to offer a cheaper wool hat. I was nervous about my first custom, so I went with that, with the intention of getting a beaver felt as my second one. Here it is.
IMG_0609.jpeg

The felt is far inferior to his present offerings, but far superior to any 100% wool hat I’ve worn. I still love wearing it, and the contrasting trimmings possibly make it appear less formal.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You know you have arrived when you have at least one hat per month in either the Post New Hats thread or the What Hat are you Waiting For thread.

I'm sure there is a green hat thread to be found as there are a lot of green hats. I'm quite fond of my Peacock green Stratoliner.

20200114_140222.jpg
Ahhh, you want Fedora Lounge help. Why didn’t you just say so…buy a starter pack of a dozen in assorted colors and then perpetually be in at least three custom hat maker’s queues. Works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav