Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hi Guys...
So here it finally is...
My first Hornskov and first bash attempt.
This is a Molbech in Steel with Sand (petersham) ribbon.
(Still calling it my first custom regardless of what anyone thinks! )
The Molbech came as open crown.
I like the way the bash turned out, will bring the brim down in the front.
A couple of things here...
The whole Hornskov experience was pleasant.
Packaging, shipping, presentation were all top notch.
I have never felt/ touched such a felt before.
Yes, I do like the feel and finish ( 50/50 mix ).
If I have anything to nit pick about, then it is with the depiction of the ribbon color.
(This may have something to do with color depiction Re; my laptop or other)
The ribbon is called sand, has a very slight olive tinge to it...or maybe I'm getting color blind.
Anyway, I do love the hat and my first Hornskov experience !
Hope you enjoy my Pics !
Greetings from DE
Very nice. My four Hornskov’s are all different felts - beaver, 50/50 western weight, 50/50 dress weight, and wool. They’re all great - even the wool (no longer offered) is better by far than any wool felt I’ve found in a modern hat. But the 50/50 dress weight is the most luxurious feeling.
Funny, I thought the Sand ribbon in your photos looks very similar to what’s on the Hornskov website. The Steel felt, on the other hand, had me wondering if it was Stone. The website shows very clearly the blue hues you talk of - especially when paired with the sand ribbon.
Anyhow, congratulations on the new hat.

Reauxdom

New in Town
Who are you? Who is the “we” that are tired of it? Have you been appointed spokesperson for a group? I haven’t made a comment on this for some time. I suggest you learn to ignore posts if you don’t like them. Please feel free to block me so you don’t have to read my posts. And welcome to The Fedora Lounge, I guess.
Brent,

I most humbly and sincerely apologize to you for my previous post as I am embarrassed by my rude and inconsiderate remarks. I hope you will forgive me of my juvenile comments.

I have enjoyed the entire thread regarding Hornskov Hats and particularly the accompanying reviews and suggestions of everyone as I am about to purchase from Hornskov. It was with great anxiety that I considered ordering a hat that was not only online, but was from a hatter in Denmark. The comments in this thread have provided me the confidence to trust the Hornskov process, and for that I am grateful. I currently have two fedoras by Optimo but their recent expansion has priced me out of their market. I appreciate the opinions and suggestions you and all others have contributed in this thread.

Brent, it is with "hat in hand" that I, again, sincerely apologize to you.

Respectfully,

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 102

The Shoe

One Too Many
Brent,

I most humbly and sincerely apologize to you for my previous post as I am embarrassed by my rude and inconsiderate remarks. I hope you will forgive me of my juvenile comments.

I have enjoyed the entire thread regarding Hornskov Hats and particularly the accompanying reviews and suggestions of everyone as I am about to purchase from Hornskov. It was with great anxiety that I considered ordering a hat that was not only online, but was from a hatter in Denmark. The comments in this thread have provided me the confidence to trust the Hornskov process, and for that I am grateful. I currently have two fedoras by Optimo but their recent expansion has priced me out of their market. I appreciate the opinions and suggestions you and all others have contributed in this thread.

Respectfully,

Randy
Good on you!
Enjoy the hat.

Brent,

Respectfully,

Randy

No worries, Randy. You seem like a class act and perhaps my comments on petersham came across stronger than I intended. All water under the bridge. Looking forward to seeing your new Hornskov hat!

When you have time, we should all enjoy seeing your Optimo hats…you aren’t the only one priced out of ordering one of his hats.

Best regards,

Brent

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Brent,

Respectfully,

Randy
Well done for you for apologising, sir. Sorry does indeed seem to be the hardest word these days.

Brent is a highly respected member here, and his opinions are well worth listening to.

Congratulations on your new Hornskov. Looking forward to seeing more of it along with your other hats.

I'm grateful for fellow Loungers all over the world for buying Hornskovs. I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet and I live just a 40 minute train ride from Copenhagen. Shame on me.

2022 will be my Hornskov year.

Welcome to the FL, Randy. Looking forward to your posts.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Very nice. My four Hornskov’s are all different felts - beaver, 50/50 western weight, 50/50 dress weight, and wool. They’re all great - even the wool (no longer offered) is better by far than any wool felt I’ve found in a modern hat. But the 50/50 dress weight is the most luxurious feeling.
Funny, I thought the Sand ribbon in your photos looks very similar to what’s on the Hornskov website. The Steel felt, on the other hand, had me wondering if it was Stone. The website shows very clearly the blue hues you talk of - especially when paired with the sand ribbon.
Anyhow, congratulations on the new hat.
Thanks Shoe ! You and others inspired Me and I really think that the ROI with Hornskov ( from my first experience) is on- point. I am happy!
I think A gray tone works with my wardrobe the most. Stone looks (to Me like it has a touch of brown in it).
I may be going color blind....
More Pics in natural light in the "what hat are you wearing today" thread

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Thanks Shoe ! You and others inspired Me and I really think that the ROI with Hornskov ( from my first experience) is on- point. I am happy!
I think A gray tone works with my wardrobe the most. Stone looks (to Me like it has a touch of brown in it).
I may be going color blind....
More Pics in natural light in the "what are you wearing today" thread
I just pulled out my Stone Rancher to check. You’re not going blind. It does have some brown. That said, I think the photos on this thread of your Steel and my Stone are pretty close, but that’s clearly just a trick of the light. Your photos I just saw on the WHAYWT thread show a colour much closer to that on the website. The outdoor photos show the colour really well, but they also show off the depth of those pinches you put in it. It looks fantastic!

Samson25

Familiar Face
I just pulled out my Stone Rancher to check. You’re not going blind. It does have some brown. That said, I think the photos on this thread of your Steel and my Stone are pretty close, but that’s clearly just a trick of the light. Your photos I just saw on the WHAYWT thread show a colour much closer to that on the website. The outdoor photos show the colour really well, but they also show off the depth of those pinches you put in it. It looks fantastic!
Thanks Shoe ! This is open crown and someone posted a Redactor. I was so knocked out by the redactor bash, I had to try it. This is an imperfect attempt but like it's owner (imperfect / individual ) it is my thing I guess. I love it and it's partially your fault ;)

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many

Reauxdom

New in Town
I’m also tempted by the Redactor, though my next Hornskov is some way off. And after three pencil rolls, I’ve also promised myself that the next one will be a snap brim.
Shoe,

Are you pleased with the durability of the pencil roll hats? Specifically, are the rolls keeping their form? Are they Western Weight or Dress Weight hats?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Respectfully,

Randy

The Shoe

One Too Many
Shoe,

Are you pleased with the durability of the pencil roll hats? Specifically, are the rolls keeping their form? Are they Western Weight or Dress Weight hats?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Respectfully,

Randy
Hi Randy,
To be fair, even my oldest pencil roll Hornskov is only about 15 months old and they are not my daily-wear hats, so it’s difficult to say for sure, but I have no reason to think they might be problematic. With my last purchase I was planning on getting a Diamond, but looking around the site, I was drawn to the Mogul. Since I had the 25% discount available, I decided to add another one to my order. Again I was close to ordering the Diamond and trying to sort out colours when I came across the Rancher, so the Diamond went on the back burner again.
My Broker is beaver dress weight, the Mogul a 50-50 dress weight and the Rancher a 50-50 western weight.
The Mogul has brim binding, which might be sensible for the softer dress weight blend. The other two are raw, but the felt is more dense and stiffer (while not being really stiff).
Hope that helps,

Gary

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I almost pulled the trigger on one of the display hats that Hornskov had on sale recently but I wasn't confident enough in my hat size, so I ordered one of their free hat sizing kits. I'm just a shade over 59 cm with a little room for comfort and quite long oval, though most hats I've found that fit are 7 1/2 LO. The kit was very nice for just the cost of shipping and I hope to buy one of their hats before too long. Do most people find that they have to order slightly larger than they measure?
20221108_202050.jpg

20221108_205504.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
I almost pulled the trigger on one of the display hats that Hornskov had on sale recently but I wasn't confident enough in my hat size, so I ordered one of their free hat sizing kits. I'm just a shade over 59 cm with a little room for comfort and quite long oval, though most hats I've found that fit are 7 1/2 LO. The kit was very nice for just the cost of shipping and I hope to buy one of their hats before too long. Do most people find that they have to order slightly larger than they measure?
View attachment 463379
View attachment 463381
They’ve upgraded their size kit since I got mine, but no longer with free shipping. Also interesting to see it still includes the wool felt sample, even though they don’t offer hats in wool any more. Does it still come with a couple of free caramels?
I got an email from them about the sample sale, but due to our time difference, they were all gone by the time I saw it first thing in the morning. I would have loved to have got the Diamond. It’s one I always wanted, but when it came time to make the purchase, I always ended up going for one of their pencil curl hats.
I measured my head at 58.7 cm using the size kit (that used to include millimetres).
The first hat I got was their wool centre dent in size 59. I found it just a little tight, so the next one I got was 59½. I now find the 59½ a little big and have a little padding behind the felt. The 59 on the other hand, I now deem to be just right for me. The last two I ordered were 59 long oval. I think my early mishaps were just inexperience and not knowing exactly where I wanted the hat to sit on my head. I would say his sizes are very accurate.
I hope that helps.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
They’ve upgraded their size kit since I got mine, but no longer with free shipping. Also interesting to see it still includes the wool felt sample, even though they don’t offer hats in wool any more. Does it still come with a couple of free caramels?
I got an email from them about the sample sale, but due to our time difference, they were all gone by the time I saw it first thing in the morning. I would have loved to have got the Diamond. It’s one I always wanted, but when it came time to make the purchase, I always ended up going for one of their pencil curl hats.
I measured my head at 58.7 cm using the size kit (that used to include millimetres).
The first hat I got was their wool centre dent in size 59. I found it just a little tight, so the next one I got was 59½. I now find the 59½ a little big and have a little padding behind the felt. The 59 on the other hand, I now deem to be just right for me. The last two I ordered were 59 long oval. I think my early mishaps were just inexperience and not knowing exactly where I wanted the hat to sit on my head. I would say his sizes are very accurate.
I hope that helps.
Thank you that does help, I think I will probably try a 59.5 when I order one. They do include a candy still.

That Diamond was the one I wanted as well, I think it's a very cool style. I haven't got a pencil curl brim yet though so that is tempting too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner