Horrible movies, and the people who get duped into waching them....

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Fedord Spaniard, Apr 16, 2009.

1. WH1

WH1 Practically Family

Most anything by Quentin Tarantino. Resevoir Dogs was/is a great movie but Pulp Fiction while it had many great performances and was interesting at times still makes me go what the F*$# was that 2 hours and change and huh!!!! But I am in the minority on that I am sure, he has followed it up with some of the worst schlock ever overhyped. B movies are his love and his speciality.

Ditto on Black Dahlia, lousy movie, felt like hey lets put on a show kids, we'll borrow the old mans hats and suits.

The Graduate, if any movie ever summed up everything ever said about the self indulgent/important me me baby boom generation it was that one.

Australia agree it was a waste of a couple of hours, the director Baz whats his name, spent the first hour showing us how "clever" he supposedly is the last hour not as bad but pretty awful.

2. WinoJunko

WinoJunko One of the Regulars

My Super Ex Girlfriend

The whole film I was thinking...when is it supposed to get funny?

3. SamMarlowPI

SamMarlowPI One Too Many

yes...

4. John Wayne trended to play the same type of person with 2 variations. One is the good guy and the other the totally pissed off brooding somewhat good guy.

There are a number of actors that are basically the same in nearly all their movies such as Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Jimmy Stewart, amonst others. So you either like them or don't.

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

I think that was noe of the most pretentious piles of poo ever I sat through. Simply awful.

Yes, I found it a much superior film to Easy Rider. But then, Easy Rider was, I suppose of its time: what seemed ridiculously cliched and old hat to me, an absurdly conformist parody of youth rebellion, probably did seem genuinely edgy back in the day.

I found it entertaining enough, but I did feel that it had much more potential than was realised. In particular, I felt they wasted Eddie Izzard in his supporting role.

Agreed. MR was the most risible, hackneyed plot, and musically very dull as well - not the revolution so many claimed it to be. I hold with the critics who at the time of release pretty much unanimously said it looked pretty but was otherwise rubbish. The only bonus was the pleasant lack of schmaltzy Hollywood happy ending, but what they did was still pretty awful.

Braveheart was silly and cartoon (bearing little real relation to actual historical events, as I understand it) too. I liked them both.

6. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Not me. I love Eastwood and like Hackman and Stewart in almost everything.

7. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Oh, man. I can't believe I forgot the worst one of all:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I'm all for strange musicals (I love Dancer in the Dark), cult movies (Down by Law is fantastic), transvestites and whatever else (most John Waters movies make me giggle), but this is just awful.

8. Selentino

Selentino One of the Regulars

Years ago I actually paid money to see a piece if junk called Buckeroo Banzi. To this day it is the only that ever put me to sleep. Gangs of New York was so bad I left the theater angry.

9. Rachael

Rachael A-List Customer

thank you. That film causes me no end of aggravation. The heroine is one of the least sympathetic characters in cinema, incredibly egocentric and whiny to boot. The costumes didn't help either; my historic sense was tingling through the whole 10 hour ordeal.

10. celtic

celtic A-List Customer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120430/

not even viggo could save it. :D

11. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

I think it was called "Meet hte Spartans" or something.

If you ever meet it, run like hell.

To quote Stewie in "Family Guy" - "That's not funny!!!"

12. Macheath

Macheath One of the Regulars

Hah, you're absolutely right. Though he played some non-Stewart type characters in some films semi-successfully, for most of his roles, it was basically just Jimmy Stewart being Jimmy Stewart.

I'm thinking The Glenn Miller Story. It was a very poignant portrayal of Miller, but he looked and sounded nothing like him, and made no real effort to emulate him.

It was just Jimmy Stewart in Glenn Miller glasses.

13. Son_of_Atropos

Son_of_Atropos Banned

After reading this, it dredged up the movie Titanic from the bowels of my subconscioius. I remembered I thought Titanic was awful, character wise. The set and costumes were pretty great. (Although I thought men were not supposed to let their white waistcoats show at the bottom.)

The Rose character ties Scarlett O'Hara as least sympathetic character in Epic movies. The story, laughable --a teenage epic? The set and scope though were great.

14. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

"Head", the Monkees movie. The movie that gave pot a bad name. Not even campy fun.

15. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Forrest Gump.

16. 1911 Man

1911 Man A-List Customer

Any of the "alleged" comedies starring Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, or Owen Wilson. 10 minutes with any one, and I feel the need to vomit. 20 minutes and I'm suicidal. Starsky and Hutch left me in a coma for weeks.

Dudley Do Right, Beaches with Bette Midler, and Alien Resurrection still occasionally cause me to break down in sobs when I think about them.

Indy 4 and Spiderman 3 were more disappointing then worthy of hatred.

I remember being bored to tears in The English Patient, and the bath scene really disturbed me. Haven't seen that much hair since Steve Austin fought the sasquatch.

17. Mr. 'H'

Mr. 'H' Call Me a Cab

:eek:fftopic:

And he was driving Glenn Miller's car ('41 Cadillac covertible) the original of which is owned by Lewis Jenkins in N. Wilkesboro, N.C. (a neighbor, ish?)

18. Maguire

Maguire Practically Family

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD] Now, you wouldn't want to get any fundamentalist Middle-Earthers started on THAT tack! :eek:

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

There is a movie called the Messenger. about the life of Muhammad produced by the late Mustapha Akkad of Halloween fame. It was filmed in such a way that Muhammad and Ali are not shown and the story is shown through some of the lesser companions, the camera sort of shows us things through their vision and has this light music play when they are in the room. Its actually a pretty good film and Anthony Quinn is in it.

19. "Skeet" McD

"Skeet" McD Practically Family

Well, Maguire...that's interesting (and I hadn't heard of it before)...but my comment was a pure light-hearted sally...I really DID mean Tolkein-fanatics.

"Skeet"

20. Maguire

Maguire Practically Family

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Well, Maguire...that's interesting (and I hadn't heard of it before)...but my comment was a pure light-hearted sally...I really DID mean Tolkein-fanatics.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]
    Oh no, i knew what you were saying was jest and i highly doubt the muslim world would appreciate a movie similar to passion of christ, but just wanted to point out it had been done. Infact the entire movie is available on youtube.