Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horrible movies, and the people who get duped into waching them....

Kermez

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
There are a number of actors that are basically the same in nearly all their movies such as Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Jimmy Stewart, amonst others. So you either like them or don't.

They are not actors - they are movie stars. There's a difference.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
John Wayne trended to play the same type of person with 2 variations. One is the good guy and the other the totally pissed off brooding somewhat good guy.

There are a number of actors that are basically the same in nearly all their movies such as Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Jimmy Stewart, amonst others. So you either like them or don't.

Dont forget Jack Nicolson, for all his hollywood heavy weight status to me his characters are always "Jack". Steven Seagal is another one..when i was a kid i used to think all his movies were sequels of the same character.

To me some examples of real actors are guys like Gary Oldman, Forrest Whitaker, Johnny Depp, Robin Wiliams, Christopher Reeve, Sean Penn, Val Kilmer...those are character actors and usually are never the same person in the movies they are in. One example look at Gary Oldman this man went from playing Sid Vicious to being Dracula to that psycho cop in the movie Leon : The Professional ("I love these calm moments before the storm...") then jumping to James Gordon. Val Kilmer is another one he went from Real Genius to Jim Morrison then to Batman and then to John Holmes... To me "actors" are actors that when you see them in different movies they almost feel like they werent even the same actor in the roles.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Fedord Spaniard said:
Steven Seagal is another one..when i was a kid i used to think all his movies were sequels of the same character.

how this guy even got a start in hollywood is waaaaaaaaay beyond me...the man is flat out terrible...

Gary Oldman, Forrest Whitaker

huge vote for these two...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
IMHO...

I'll take movie stars over "actors" any day. I've lost count of the times I've seen "artists" like Olivier, Brando, Pacino, Hoffman, et al. "acting." No, I'll take Wayne, Hepburn, Cooper, Stewart, Nicholson, Roz Russell, and Eastwood over any of the so-called "chameleons." Movie stars are comfortable within their own dimensions of character, because, yes, they are playing themselves,, but method actors often trip over their own technique and it looks so obvious onscreen.

As for John Wayne, his charisma and onscreen presence often crushed his "actor" costars like Montgomery Clift, who was never more than an extension of his own neurotic behavior; he's creepy to watch and never seemed comfortable in his own skin. Burt Lancaster gives Clift a similar pasting in their scenes in From Here to Eternity.

John Wayne's STILL more popular than 99% of today's movie stars and if he were as bad as some of you think he is, then we would have forgotten about him years ago.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
While I disagree with your choices, I agree with your premise. Kevin Spacey is the most self-important "actor" ever. Speaking slowly and frenchifying words doesn't make you a great actor, it just makes you Kevin Spacey.

The most memorable one for me is in The Negotiator. Spacey makes a big point of stating that he will end the siege - which he pronounces seezh. Though I tend to like Malkovich, he does the same sort of thing.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Though I tend to like Malkovich, he does the same sort of thing.

lol i always thought malkovich really over emphasized his lines when he is trying to be intimidating...

con air comes to mind: "...my..stinking..breath!" lol his mouth gets all big and everything...

i think my favorite Spacey performances are usual suspects and glengarry glen ross...the latter being one of the greatest dialogue films ever...imo..

tuppence

Practically Family
Edward said:
I think that was noe of the most pretentious piles of poo ever I sat through. Simply awful.

Yes but it still had its funny moments.
I think my vote for the most pretentious pile is
'The Cook, His wife, The thief and her Lover' or whatever it was called.

I just watched Madonnas' 'Shanghai Surprise' which is a complete shocker!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
tuppence said:
I think my vote for the most pretentious pile is
'The Cook, His wife, The thief and her Lover' or whatever it was called.

Then it's more than likely that you hate Jacobean plays. Avoid 'Tis Pity She's a Whore, a 1633 incest tragedy. It makes The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover look like an innocent picnic.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Cross My Heart (1987). I've always liked Martin Short's comedy style, and Annette O'Toole is simply gorgeous. So, I did a rare thing and paid my few dollars to see this comedy when it was released to the theaters. Someone should have released the hounds on it.

I didn't laugh ONCE!

These two spent the entire movie in someone else's apartment arguing and lying to each other, and then the ending was completely predictable. That's a very accurate description of this film - you need not know more. A more nauseating movie, I've never seen. I crossed the lobby in a huff.

Lee

Just bringing it up on IMDb made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. *yucky*

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Kevin Spacey is the most self-important "actor" ever. Speaking slowly and frenchifying words doesn't make you a great actor, it just makes you Kevin Spacey.

The most memorable one for me is in The Negotiator. Spacey makes a big point of stating that he will end the siege - which he pronounces seezh. Though I tend to like Malkovich, he does the same sort of thing.

I thought the same thing. In fact, I got to calling that movie "The Neh-go-shy-uh-tor" in mimicry of Spacey's bloated self importance.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
how this guy even got a start in hollywood is waaaaaaaaay beyond me...the man is flat out terrible...

huge vote for these two...

I ask myself the same question about most rappers that go into movies. The only rapper i would say that i consider a serious actor is Will Smith. Its real acting talent with Will not the typical "tough guy thug" garbage that most rappers tend to portray in movies. Will is a real actor.

I forgot to include Kurt Russell as a serious actor. This man went from a Disney child actor to Snake Plissken ("Call me Snake") to Wyatt Earp. Not many can make the transition from child actor to real actor and be taken seriously. Hes covered almost all movie genres: action, drama, suspense, comedy, horror. Don Cheadle is another real actor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21