Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horse Hair and Glue ?

msm007

One of the Regulars
Hi, anyone put a horse hair hatband on before? I was wondering if sewing is best or a glue gun? I am replacing the braided leather hat band on a Snowy River and noticed that it was glued in two places. If glue, what type of glue. Thanks

I don't glue mine. I have used a hat pin to secure one but usually the tightening of the band serves to hold it on very well. I do know some folks use fabric/craft glue to attach ribbons & liners but I won't. If I don't stitch it on, it doesn't get attached to a quality felt hat.

frussell

One Too Many
Simple stitch

I don't know one stitch from another, but I've sown on dozens of hatbands on cowboy hats over the years. I usually take out the liner (optional), use regular thread and a simple sewing needle and loop around one strand of the horsehair or other material, then back through the same hole. Tie it off inside the hat, repeat in one or two other places, should stay just fine. I hate glue on hats, especially in the heat I live in. Good Luck. Frank

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
msm007 said:
Hi, anyone put a horse hair hatband on before? I was wondering if sewing is best or a glue gun? I am replacing the braided leather hat band on a Snowy River and noticed that it was glued in two places. If glue, what type of glue. Thanks

I have a few horsehair hatbands - I just put them on and tighten them. It's nice to be able to switch them out easily.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I have a few horsehair hatbands - I just put them on and tighten them. It's nice to be able to switch them out easily.
Agree with Scott. I have a few and they seem to tighten and stay on just fine as long as you don't find yourself upside down. In which case the hatband may not be of primary importance.

majormoore

Vendor
Same here on my own hats I always place a few stiches to hold it in place,,

Also saw a hat on time that had used a straight pin and push thru the hat band and into the hat, once in side the hat he folded the pin over real nice and tight, worked real good and I never saw those pins in the hat band on the outside, I would use this some time only on a horse hair band.

Mike

frussell

One Too Many
Upside Down

If you put your hat on a flat surface like a bar or table, standing on its crown like a lot of us cowboy hat wearers were taught, your hatband sometimes comes off. I've lost a few good horsehair, rawhide and tooled leather hatbands over the years because they weren't stitched on. Then again, I wasn't just wearing them out on the town or to go line dancing, I was working (and playing) in them, and sometimes they got knocked off or blown off. The ones I really cared about got stitched on, easy to cut the thread and replace if I change the band. I've dusted myself off and found my hat many times over the years, only to be grateful for that little loop of thread that kept the band attached to the hat, sometimes hanging by it, off its perch around the crown. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails