Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horse slaughter may be coming back to U.S. in 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The law that made it illegal to slaughter hrses in this country had the unfortunate unintended consequence of making horses have to be shipped to Canada or Mexico for slaughter. This resulted in increasing the suffering of the animals, rather than decreasing it. This may reduce the unnecessary suffering involved.
It's a pretty dirty business. Horses have been stolen off farms and sent to slaughter that were valuable jumpers and show animals. Imagine stealing a $100,000 animal for a few hundred dollars worth of meat and hide. Anyway, I guess we can monitor the situation.

Last edited:

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Never stopped. Just swept under the rug. Wild horse round-ups happen here about twice a year. Ridiculous really. There more than enough land, since very little of Nevada is easily habitable for people. The backers of these round-ups tend to be the cattlemen who think there will be competition for foraging.

too much coffee

Practically Family
dhermann1 makes very good points along with LocktownDog's comments. My wife's aunt and her husband owned a very large cattle ranch near Tuscarora, Nevada. I remember Willis telling me about the horse roundups. Of course this was when the U.S. operated legal slaughter houses. I'm a pretty hard core guy but I always thought how sad that was..........round up and slaughter perfectly healthy wild horses for human consumption and use. It's not as if they're rats or wild feral hogs. As dhermann1 stated, some privately owned horses were stolen and ended up in this lot. Now they want to reopen the business of butchering the horses here in the U.S. and worse yet........put it under Government control.
Anything for a buck....freaking amazing.

Man I gotta quit drinkin' all this coffee; I'm gettin' ticked off.

Ya'll take care,

coffee

Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
I must say, and I am not taking a specific position here, if it's ok to eat pigs, chickens, ducks, cows, and so many other animals; I could never quite understand why it would be so abhorrent to eat horses. This is strictly a rhetorical question. I have been in Korea, and other countries, where dogs, monkeys, even cats are considered table fare. Why do some make this exception for horses? Seems it would be an all or nothing proposition.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I must say, and I am not taking a specific position here, if it's ok to eat pigs, chickens, ducks, cows, and so many other animals; I could never quite understand why it would be so abhorrent to eat horses.

Agreed. Chilean huasos and Argentine gauchos are outstanding horsemen ... in fact, their culture is centered around the horse. Yet they have no qualms about eating horsemeat. And American farmers used to have no problem sending off their too-old workhorses to be ground up at 'glue factories'.

Last edited:

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
That's something that alwasy bugged me: why do americans have problem with horsemeat? I remember than some year ago I went to the restaurant with an american colleague who became very pale when I told him that they served equine steaks and I was raised eating horsemeat, he wasn't crying but looked like he was on the edge of bursting into tears....

Is that a kind of social taboo?

TidiousTed

Practically Family
We eat horsemeat in Norway and the strange thing is that one would think that farmers and other people from the countryside would be the ones most objecting to eating it, but the only place in Oslo where you can get it is at a place owned by the farmers organizations and where farmers stay overnight when in the city.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Too much horse manure in this one for here Gentlemen. It's for Outerwear, not pies & jerky.
Just Spare a thought for other members please when responding, as this is a Family Forum too & some off-the-cuff remarks can come across as pretty raw & upsetting. Thankyou.

iPhone comms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael