Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween USA and Aero Leather Joint Statement

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks RD. I thought about the water treatment. I'm not having a stiff shoulder problem, it's more an excess of material, as the seam comes out past the "break" of my shoulders. One side is softer than the other, as often happens with custom hide work, and wants to crease in a weird place, before the shoulder seam, leaving a puffy, pirate shirt effect. It would be fine if my shoulders went straight out at right angles from my neck, but time and hard living has rounded them some. I'll try and post photos this weekend. Been working like crazy, and it's already in the 90s here, so the jacket only gets pulled out at night in the air conditioning. Frank

Memo

Familiar Face
Congrats on the coat Frank, I can't wait to check out the pics. If you end up wanting to sell it hit me up.
-Memo

frussell

One Too Many
Here's a few photos. The shoulder I'm not crazy about is my right. Otherwise, the fit is about what I was looking for, and the leather is beautiful. I'm not a slim-fit type of guy, but the extra material in the shoulders is getting on my nerves a bit. You can see the actual slope of my shoulders in one photo. Suggestions are welcome, and like others, I don't give a rat's @ss if the half belt is in the "correct" position, at least it's not sitting on my pants belt like the previous 11 pound jacket. It fit so poorly I never got photos of me in it. Frank.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
It's at times like this I like to quote the great Terence trent D'Arby:

All lovers must have thought provoking fears.

Being so invested in these jackets it's natural to have amplified sensitivity that can spiral out of control. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's not. I see what your talking about with the extra material but at the same time it's to my eyes at least, negligible. Wear a thick sweater underneath or lift some weights...

frussell

One Too Many
I don't live in thick sweater country, Highwaymanman. I live in heatstroke country. I have my own thick sweater made of skin and blubber. Lifting weights I could definitely do with. Believe me, I'm not much of a hypersensitive guy. The leather on the right shoulder is much thinner, and is prone to bunch up in a weird way, which doesn't happen on the left. I have fairly wide shoulders, but I would have to be Herman Munster to fill them out. It's much more noticeable in person than in photos, especially from my height. I tried to get my wife to take better angles of the problem area, but she's nearly a foot and a half shorter than me, and our one year old doesn't spare her for long. If it's something that will not be as noticeable with wear, not a big deal. Just wanted some input from the experts here. Thanks, Frank

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Frank, all in all pretty damn good! Although I do see the issue you're pointing out. How is the fit elsewhere, are you happy with the chest, the arm pits, around the waist? Could you size down 1?
I know this was a long, crazy, journey for you so you may not have the energy to continue, but I've seen a few guys here whose journey for perfection is still ongoing even after owning and selling on many jackets.

schitzo

Suspended
Looking at those full length front and back shots i didn't notice the shoulder area. Which gives us some indication of the scale of this problem.

On the close ups of course I can see what you're talking about. Are those with your arm lifted?

If it's down to excess material then there's nothing much that can be done - I don't think. But if it's not that, and if it's just a case of the leather in that area behaving in an odd way then perhaps you could try soaking it and then putting some pressure on it to flatten it out while it dries? Even if that pushed the shoulder seem further out, so that it was overhanging your shoulder blade, I assume it'd be preferable to the status quo

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I just had a good hard look at pics 1 and 4 again - and if you hadn't have said anything Frank I never would have guessed there was an issue with that shoulder. On those pics it looks fine.

Is this a problem you notice only when you lift that right arm?

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
schitzo - yes, mostly when lifting the right arm. Which does tend to happen once in a while, I'm afraid. I'm not super excited about the look it will have when it breaks in more, and it looks like it will show when the shoulder is not flexed, nor the arm raised, as it wants to crease that way already. Other than the excess in the shoulders, it fits like I like a jacket to fit. I won't be wearing much underneath around here, except a thicker shirt now and then. I know it's not a hugely visible issue, but after such a long wait and not a little money, it would be nice not to have any issues at all. Frank

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Frank, sometimes the enemy of good is perfection. Frankly (no pun intended) I would tend to ignore the lack of perfection and simply enjoy breaking in the jacket.

IXL

One Too Many
Frank, while I can see the issue that bothers you, the jacket as a whole looks quite nice. The left arm sleeve does the same thing, only it is at the top outside portion of the sleeve, right next to the upper shoulder piece.
In both cases it appears that the majority of the crease goes inward. It is just the way the leather is reacting to stress and will most probably change with increased wear. I have a jacket that would bunch up around the collar; it really bothered me. However, with continued wearing the problem pretty much disappeared over a few months time.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Don't worry about it. Looks like it just developed a crinkle that the other shoulder hasn't developed *yet*. Don't worry, the whole thing will have crinkles and creases all over it eventually, so it will even out. Don't let it aggravate your OCD. On the fit it's always a compromise...if you went a size down it'd be a closer fit in the shoulders but then too small in the torso. I had to deal with that with my aero café racer. I had to size up, so it's wider than I'd like in the shoulders, but the next size down was too tight in the torso.

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Cyber Lip - I have the feeling you're right. If I went down to a 50, it would be too small to get my arms and back into, and I'd have to let the bottom 3 buttons stay open for my huge stomach muscles to hang out. I've got a 24 pack happening. I'll probably take the advice of most here, just wanted to get some honest opinions. I forgot to post photos of the lining, which is a really cool lightweight tartan, which so far seems much more agreeable than the drill for getting on and off, and even in today's close to 90 degree, humid weather (storm coming), it was pretty comfortable. Holly requested fit photos earlier in this thread, which I sent today. We'll see if she has any input. Frank

wdw

One Too Many
Frank, good to finally see the jacket in action. I think the fit looks great and I struggle to see what the issue is. If you hadn't mentioned the shoulder I doubt if anyone would even think about it. It seems you're worried about a crease when you raise your arm, but how often will you do that and of that, how often would it be long enough for people to stare, analyse, compare shoulders and then pass negative judgement?

In the scale of issues we see here, I'd say it's not close to being in the same league as what some might see as too-short sleeves or too-long or too-short bodies.

Ultimately, it's only how you personally feel that counts, but my suggestion would be to give this time, have a good look at other shoulder fit pics and hopefully finally decide that you've got a great looking jacket that will only improve with wear.

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
I think it looks fine Frank, as others have said, if you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have really noticed, just looks like that shoulder has broken in a bit more than the other to me.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Frank,
I also agree with the others, however you are the guy who has to wear it, so I think you should take a few days to mull it over and decide if you can live with it! I do think however that it is one of the most beautiful hides I have seen, and as others have said if it gets plenty of wear it will all add to the developing patina!

D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
You Bro... it's good to finally see you in the "flesh" so to speak. We need more "he-men" around here LOL!. As for your jacket... I'd give it some time... wear it.. soak it, fight with it. After all you've gone through I see no reason to "chuck it". Sending measurement's a continent away and hoping for a "perfect fit" is a crap shoot of the highest magnitude. That's why my custom orders usually come from company's here in the continental US where alterations can take days, not weeks or even months. All my Aero's are "off the rack" or used you went the "hard way" and your journey was complicated by things outside your control, don't give up on the jacket just yet.

I think it looks badass myself. Great overall length and the sleeves have the right length. As for the puffing in the shoulder, I assume you think it's because the seam is off the shoulder? Like others have said, with your arms down the problem isn't visible. If the rest of the jacket is fine I'd send it up north to Johnson's for some "minor alterations" and go from there. But that's just my opinion from the other side of the continent. Still.. in the end it's up to you. But I like the goatee, scowl and Horsehide look myself...

Worf

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks gentlemen. Worf - the scowl is hereditary, and slightly exaggerated by our burning sun, which was in full force yesterday. The beard is usually a bit more under control, but I've been too busy to trim it. I'd better get around to it before I start looking too wizardy. Those grey hairs don't tame as well as the old dark ones, it's like having wire growing out of your face. I appreciate all the helpful comments, and I agree the hide is beautiful, looks like Dav and I got the same batch Aero was waiting on, lots of character, and will break in beautifully. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner