Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween USA and Aero Leather Joint Statement

Cooperson

One Too Many
Differences:

- Quality
- Stitching
- Denim Quality (21 oz!)
- Strongness
- Fit (Levi's don't fit me well)

BTW: Thank you guys for all the nice words!

Kind regards,

Johannes

Have to agree, until I got my IH 634's I had no idea what real quality denim was like to wear. 21oz is quite a shock first time on, but once you get used to the feel of it there's no going back. As a comparison I just got my hands on a new pair of of Lee Japan 101 Cinch Back Jeans 1937 - Dry from Aero, the ones with the hair on hide patch. After one wash they feel like rags, so disappointed!

Nice jacket by the way, great fit and you wear it well. Enjoy!

Ishmael

Practically Family
Have to agree, until I got my IH 634's I had no idea what real quality denim was like to wear. 21oz is quite a shock first time on, but once you get used to the feel of it there's no going back. As a comparison I just got my hands on a new pair of of Lee Japan 101 Cinch Back Jeans 1937 - Dry from Aero, the ones with the hair on hide patch. After one wash they feel like rags, so disappointed!

So true.

Although there are other options than 21oz. Just for example, and since you mentioned Lee, these Leepros from Real Mccoys are only 13.75oz but far superior, IMO, to the Lee Japan repros.

https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/detail.php?product_id=1917&pg=

Sloan, Sugar Cane make great jeans, but it all depends on what you're after. I don't think the star jeans are the 50/50 with sugar cane. Here is a list of their jeans with sugar cane, I think.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/c/0000004036/

Lungomare

A-List Customer
How do people feel about the sugar cane/cotton mix thing when it comes to denim? I'm sorely tempted...

To be honest, I don' like them very much. Compared with the RJB or Ironheart my Sugar Cane jeans feel not so qualitative. Beside that they don't fit me as good as the other mentioned.

Regards,

Johannes

frussell

One Too Many
Finally got my replacement jacket yesterday. Instead of getting another LHB, I got a Teamster. First impressions - either I got a mid to lightweight horsehide, or storse is just incredibly heavy. There has to be a difference of at least 5 pounds between this and the other jacket. Stiff, but easy to flex. Came with something called Lanark Tartan, which feels very thin and breathable. Too hot here now to wear it, will try to post photos soon. Fit: Still not exactly where I'd like it to be, some extra material in the shoulders, but not nearly as sloppy as my LHB was. On the fence as to keeping or selling, I doubt very strongly that I'd send it back to Aero and start this "adventure" again, even if I decided it just didn't suit me. In the meantime, any suggestions for lessening the effect of "puffy" or too roomy shoulders? I'm not a small guy, and sometimes I think Aero, like many other clothing manufacturers, overshoot when they make anything above a 48. Mine is a 52, and fits pretty great everywhere else. Love the length (thanks wdw for suggesting the Teamster) and the cut, even like the D-rings, contrary to public opinion. I'll be interested to see if my old storse LHB ever makes the Aero sale page. It's a tank, but might make some giant happy, who likes 11 pound jackets. Thoughts? Frank

wdw

One Too Many
Good you finally got it, as it's certainly been a journey for you. I'm glad you like the length, as it's a good all-rounder that way. You probably didn't have storse before, just plain old 100% heavy steer, hence the big difference. I doubt if Aero would give you mid HH now if you didn't ask for it, so you're now back to where you should have been eons ago.

As to fit, without pics it's hard say about the shoulders. Your roomy might be others absolutely fine. There was a black 50 Teamster on here recently http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?70131-To-bi-swing-back-or-not-to-bi-swing-back/page3, so that would give you an indication of how similar-sized guys wear it.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Frank, we would all like to see pictures. Better a bit of extra room than too tight.

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks for the link wdw, I'd forgotten that one. Maybe I just need to work out. Fanch (my phone keeps correcting your name to "Fancy"), I'll post photos when my hair looks just right, and there's someone to take a photo. Self shots or mirror shots suck at showing what I'm talking about. Frank

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the link wdw, I'd forgotten that one. Maybe I just need to work out. Fanch (my phone keeps correcting your name to "Fancy"), I'll post photos when my hair looks just right, and there's someone to take a photo. Self shots or mirror shots suck at showing what I'm talking about. Frank

Look forward to pictures, Frank. I have a feeling that your Teamster might be a better fit than you think. Remember, it has a bi-swing back for better range of motion. Layering underneath with a Filson vest might help. The fact that it is much lighter than that 10 lb. monster that you sent back has to be a good thing. We'll be better able to give you a pep talk after looking at pictures.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Frank.... well another one down, replacement wise. I hope it works out for you either way sell or keep. I'm truly sorry you had to spend what..... 3 years of your life and over a grand to get satisfaction. Wishing you all the best...

Worf

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks Holly! :eusa_clap :D
IMG_5477.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Holly - I'm quite sure it's FQHH, but the difference in weight from my former (steer) LHB is astounding. This one is stiff and new, but will be no trouble at all to break in. The steer was beautiful, but really heavy and would have taken me years to get it broken in. I also like the tartan lining you folks chose, much better suited to my climate, and seems to create less friction than the tougher cotton drill. Thanks to you and Ken, and Julie (who apparently made the jacket) for all the hard work. Frank

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
Hey Frank!
Just caught up with the news about your Teamster arriving.
Even without seeing pictures of you wearing it, I'd say keep it & give it some time and wear (when the weather permits)...let the stiffness and all the waxes break down so the hide will start molding itself to your shoulders. even try wetting it down with a garden hose if you need to get that process moving. I've had 2 Aero's that had very rigid shoulders when they were new....however, being FQHH they do quickly relax into "your" shape.

@Dav ....Your teamster looks "the business"! Great Cut...Great Leather! ...Stunning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner