Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hourglass figure

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I have a question, are you only considered an hourglass figure if you have even spacing between bust/waist and waist/hips?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've seen different definitions but it seems to me that the most common definition of an hourglass figure is that it has equal bust and hip measurements and a waist that is at least 10" smaller than that.

It is supposedly a rare body type.

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
Tourbillion is completely right, It's defined by an equal measurement of bust and hips and a waist 10" smaller than that. Saying that though, I'm 41-31-41 and believe me, it's a nightmare finding jeans. Be careful what you wish for lol.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I guess I'm pear shaped and not an hour glass after all. 33-25½-34. The difference is problematic anyway.

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
Haha, alright, thank you. I'm 34-25-36. Would that be considered pear shaped then?

Yes, technically, you're pear shaped but with measurements that close, you'll appear hourglass to everyone.

I guess I'm pear shaped and not an hour glass after all. 33-25½-34. The difference is problematic anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I mean, a 25.5in waist!?. Those are some vital statistics to be proud of.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_body_shape

Apple (triangle downward)
Apple shaped women have broad(er) shoulders compared to their (narrower) hips.[1] Women of this bodytype have (much) higher androgen levels compared to women with other body types[citation needed]. Because of this high androgen level, the skeleton develops in a very masculine pattern. Apple shaped women tend to have slim legs/thighs, while the abdomen and chest look out of proportion compared to the rest of the body. Fat is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest and face.

Banana or straight (rectangular)
The waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hips or bust measurement.[1] The body has a relatively high androgen level compared to the estrogen level[citation needed], this causes the skeleton to develop in a bit more masculine pattern and body fat to be distributed predominantly in the abdomen, buttocks, chest and face. This overall fat distribution creates the typical ruler (straight) shape.

Pear or spoon or bell (triangle upward)
The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement.[1] The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this bodytype tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, robust thighs and a small(er) bosom.

Hourglass shape. (triangles opposing, facing in)
The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist.[1] Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen.

If you almost have an hourglass, but are a bit off (i.e. bigger hips) you might be a "spoon" shape, but if you are only 1" off of a hourglass shape I would probably count that as hourglass anyway. The straight shape is probably the most common today.

Clothing is supposedly made for the "hourglass" shape, but size charts seem more like "pear" or "spoon" shape. I've heard that it used to be that everything was for the hourglass shape, but I have never seen a pattern or size chart that has absolutely equal bust/hips and a 10" smaller waist. I've seen hips 2"-3" bigger or sometimes 1" smaller in vintage charts though.

Actual modern garments seem more like straight or sometimes pear as those with hourglass measurements can testify.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The overwhelming majority of women in the world are pear shaped. Take a look at vintage patterns, they give pear measurements.

Pear is normal. Hourglass is the difficult ideal.

LD

lareine

A-List Customer
According to Wikipedia's definition I am an apple. That doesn't hold true in real life, though; my humungous hooters give me an hourglass that my waist measurement does nothing to deserve!

If I had a boob job I'd change to an apple shape, I'm sure. This happened to a friend of mine -- she had her boobs reduced significantly and immediately looked fatter, because her thick waist was now her most obvious feature. I don't think she had anticipated that before she had the surgery...

Lillemor

One Too Many
The-Blue-Star said:
Tourbillion is completely right, It's defined by an equal measurement of bust and hips and a waist 10" smaller than that. Saying that though, I'm 41-31-41 and believe me, it's a nightmare finding jeans. Be careful what you wish for lol.

There's a new Danish brand started by a Danish man who's married to an African woman (sorry, don't know which African country, didn't intend to sound ignorant, I know Africa isn't a country or a culture) who has problems finding jeans that fit in "that area" so her husband decided to design jeans for "African" women. I can't remember the name of the brand. It was on one of our national tv news! You may be able to google for Danish designed African jeans or whatever.

I don't have a large seat so I just have to accept regular jeans that I either can't pull up past my hips or that float around my waist.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I used to think that an hourglass figure was the same chest measurement as hips but a tailor explained to me that an hourglass is more that the "shoulders should balance the hips"

I have a smaller chest than my hips but my shoulders balance it. - I'm usually 32, 22, 36.5 (5 foot tall) so you might think that I'm a pear shape but I wouldn't say that i am, especially as a characteristic of a classic pear shape is heavy thighs and I don't have them- I have a rounded hip and bottom but them it goes straight into regular legs. I could do with a bit more bulk up top to be more spot on like Selma Hyek- but i can always use padding!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
That's why I think of myself as cello shaped!

pear1.jpg
To me, a pear is very small up top, not much waist and very rounded towards the bottom.
cello_pa602_front_sm.jpg
I have the rounded bottom (oh yes indeed) but I still have a defined waist (many years of bellydancing will do that to you) and reasonable bust.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Just did some digging about on t'interweb and found out that for this kind of measurement we are looking at BUST measurement where the tape passses around the fullest part of the bust rather than chest or ribcage measurement where the tape passes under the bust- that makes all the difference.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Yep actual chest size, I am an hourglass 36-26-36 but I'm shrinking and I know my hips can't get smaller so I'll end up a pear which is fine by me! As long as I get a teenier waist it's all good, and of course your boobs shrink, sods law....:D

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
That's why I think of myself as cello shaped!

pear1.jpg
To me, a pear is very small up top, not much waist and very rounded towards the bottom.
cello_pa602_front_sm.jpg
I have the rounded bottom (oh yes indeed) but I still have a defined waist (many years of bellydancing will do that to you) and reasonable bust.

:eusa_clap Puzzicato I love this Cello shaped that is wonderful.:eusa_clap

But I find myself confused now I always considered myself an hourglass shape as I have such a huge difference between my waist and hips, but alas my bust is too small. Oh well [huh] I shall continue to consider myself that because I feel the pain of the hour glass ladies out there. Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me as I reach the requirements to be an hourglass but exceed them too, look at what I mean my measurements are 38 bust, 27 1/2 waist, and 42 hips.

amygeorgina

New in Town
I used to be an hourglass in my teens, now thanks to laziness and a baby, I'm a full on Pear. I hate clothes shopping, especially for jeans (seeing as I'm yet to afford anything vintage/repro!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred