Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about a conversion how-to?

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Since I have had a lot of trouble finding a nice dress hat in size 7 3/4 or 7 7/8, I decided to purchase a Stetson 4x western/cowboy hat that I would like to convert. Unfortunately, I really don't know where to start.

I was wondering if the conversion gurus here could start a definitive how-to on doing conversions. (cutting the brim, relaxing the crown, bashing, etc.)

Another definitive how-to could be on steaming. (dealing with liners, sweatbands, etc.)

Any takers?

Bob

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I have a size 7 7/8 head and struggle to find hats that fit. You can find Akubras in that size, The Federation and the Squatter as well as the Sydney come in 7 7/8. I have found Resistols in 7 3/4 Long Oval fit as well.
I look through eBay and other sites all the time and the pickins' are indeed slim. Good luck, if you find you have a knack for converting cowboy hats for us big heads you could open a shop in Louisville and get rich!!!

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Thanks jaifree,

Davidson's instructions were exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the photos had expired. The text was awesome, and should be set up as a sticky (or its own forum).

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot