Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Akubra's are made + more.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
How Akubra hats are made (german video)

Hi folks!

I just saw a documentation on german tv about the making of Akubra hats.
I almost choked on my beer, hit the record button and uploaded it for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htr4w4nAHkA

Even though most of you probably won't understand the language, I hope you might at least enjoy the pictures.
Have fun!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Vielen dank, Oddsteve! Now this is the very best, most instructive (factory) hatmaking documentary I've ever seen! And, not a small detail, it is claimed that a sizeable proportion of the fur -other than the Australian rabbit fur- consists of hare fur from France!

The documentary shows, step by step, the process of making felt: looks to me to be hard, hot, work, totally unsuitable for people who are allergic to dust or fine hairs...

And then how a hat is coerced out of the felt. Really good stuff.

It also demonstrates, to me, how the "Stetson" felting process (from other docufilms seen on our forum) is extremely similar to the "Akubra" industrial process...

:eek:fftopic: And, the bottom news line gives us the names of the new German government, too!
Thanks again, Steve
Paul

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Thank you for your kind words, Goose and Paul!

And, the bottom news line gives us the names of the new German government, too!

:D Am I the only one who totally ignores these bottom lines? Guess I'm lacking multitasking capabilities :p

Mario

I'll Lock Up
PabloElFlamenco said:
Vielen dank, Oddsteve! Now this is the very best, most instructive (factory) hatmaking documentary I've ever seen!

:arated: What he said!

I realy liked it when one of the workers said "Mit ordentlich Dampf geht alles! (With a good steaming, everything goes!)".

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Paul, it's not that I think the newsline is unimportant - I just can't pay attention to it while watching the programme [huh]

P.S: I added some of the major facts as subtitles to the video!

Charles_Company

New in Town
For anyone interested I came across this on You Tube. It shows how Akubra's are made and other stuff, I am not sure whether this link has been posted before but I found it quite interesting and informative and thought others might as well. It is a bit dated but you get to see some cool singlet's and mullets as I recall :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crcj1fJLLs8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24