Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How are Ribbons Attached?

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I have a Borsalino that I was Steaming slightly in an effort to work out a crease near the top of the Crown. While working on it I discovered that the RIBBON is detached :rage: where the bow contacts the leading edge of the ribbon, but only at the very top. At the bottom, closest to the brim it is still attached.... My question: How are ribbons attached? And how would I go about fixing this loose connection of the bow to the leading edge of the ribbon?
Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ribbons are attached by small carefully placed stitches best installed by qualified individuals, in my opinion. -I murdered a hat with my oversize mitts and lack of surgical skill.

Before threading your needle, I would talk to Steve Delk or Art Fawcett, the above stated qualified individuals. :)

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Kind of what I was wondering.... Could I do it? Could I just put a dab with a glue stick on the ribbon and hold the bow in place for a minute?
Or, Do I need to find a skilled Hat Doctor to re-attach....?
Obviously I don't want to deminish the quality of the hat any...

Thanks for sharing your experience and advise Hemingway Jones.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
I'd avoid the glue D.Hats. I've replaced and made a few ribbons. It's pretty easy. Just use a thread of the same colour as the ribbon, a fine needle, and place a tiny stitch from the underside of the ribbon outwards throught the corner of the bow and back and tie off the thread and trim it. 5 minute job and will last.
If you cock it up, just remove the thread, and do the job again until you get it right. With a fine needle you shouldn't damage the ribbon.

Jeff.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
You could reattatch the ribbon yourself, but it's one of those things where practice makes perfect. I have a couple of beater hats I'm fiddling with to try and get the knack of making a hat. I tell you, there's a lot to be said for patience and practice! If you decide to stitch it back yourself, you'd want to use a very fine needle and matching thread.

Kathleen Klein

New in Town
hats -- glue

Don't ever use glue on fabric.
it never comes out.
You may ruin your hat forever.
Just find someone to tack the ribbon on.
A good tailor will know how.

penfencer

Familiar Face
Have any of you ever tried replacing the ribbon on a straw boater? Is it doable or should I find an expert to do it for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy