Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How brown is brown horsehide?

Longshanks

New in Town

Mike K.

One Too Many
If I'm not mistaken that is Aero's oil-pull horsehide (definitely not their spray finish russet). Yes that is actually how it looks, and based on the sample leather Aero sent me I would never buy it because it wears off too easily onto other things (like car seats, clothing, etc.). If you want a more uniform appearance then stick with the spray dye finish used on the other jackets (including other Aero jackets).

Longshanks
Your first link is not Eastman...but is Goodwear. Different company.
Aero's Heavy FQHH is quite unique compared to other companies.
Lost worlds FQHH seems to have a much thicker top finish which is quite unlike Aero's.
I have several Aero FQHH jackets..and they all seem to have the same charactoristics.
Below is a pic of my Highwayman taken when it was a couple years old. Same kind of HH pictured in your Aero link. I have never had any rub off from this FQHH. I also have an oil pull HH..but it is more of a matte finish than the FQHH.

100_0411.jpg

HD

Budajoe

New in Town
Well, my experience with the Aero brown FQHH, is from a Mariner coat.

While having a general uniform color, there is a multitude of various shades of brown playing together to create a very distinct and imho superb look.

I would dare to say though, that at times, it appears a bit more cordovan in color than brown at times, but that depends on the lighting...

I've had the jacket a few months now...no color transfer for me...wears in beautifully, and that new shine slowly starts to fade...nobody does this kind of horsehide better than Aero.

If you want a smooth, unform color, I wouldn't go with the brown (or Cordovan) Aero FQHH -- they also have a smooth HH, which is uniform in color..

It's definately among the heaviest of leathers I've handled (probably the heaviest) -- Truely lifelong leather...

B

JanSolo

Practically Family
HD and BJ are right. The Aero jacket in your link is made from brown FQ HH which is totally different from spray finish mid weight horse or the stuff LostWorlds offers. Aero's brown FQ HH is probably their "trademark leather" and one of the most beautiful leathers I have ever seen. Their current batch though is of a darker shade than the leather shown in your link. This is what the current batch more or less looks like:

http://www.kentaurus.de/img/xl-aeroa1.jpg
http://www.kentaurus.de/img/xl-aeroa1-r.jpg

Lear

One of the Regulars
You probably won't get great customer service from a Scottish company (such as Aero), using the name 'Longshanks' lol

Lear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko