Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How common are the larger sized suits

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I wear a 46S suit and I'm looking to get a couple of vinatge ones. I 'd like to be a 44s but you know how good cooking gets the better of you. I would also like to know the best resource for suit styles. I get stuff from the library all the time but the catalog reprints usually are mostly ladies stuff. Thanks a bunch gents.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Oh no, you mean I've got competition for size 46S suits?:D

Personally, I like taking notes of the suits as I watch old films. They may not be the best indicator of what the typical man on the street wore, but I know that those gents on the screen looked their best!

Welcome to the Lounge, and BTW, I like your handle. Wish I'd thought of it. As you might figure out reading my posts, I'm a big William Powell fan.

Good luck on those suits!

Brad Bowers

Nick Charles

Practically Family
ME TOO

I like William Powell and have all the Thinman movies as well as a couple of other detective films and 3 other comidies. He's got great timing and wit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh my! I love those films!!! Any one see Love Crazy? I have that one on VHS and it's a hoot! William Powell was really a great talent! I also love Myrna Loy! She's so sweet and witty. Sharp cookie she was! And their dog Asta need I say more. Those films are just so fun to watch and enjoy.

Good stuff!

Say Nick, you need an avatar my friend! And you know that it must be of William Powell.

Root.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I'm so glad I'm not the only big William Powell fan. The clothes alone sold me on the movies. I was sad in the end when times changed and they had Nick drinking cider from his flask. Turner Classic Movies late at night is a hobby of mine. If I could wear a suit half as good as he did I would die a happy man.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
yup I agree they all seem to be 40,38,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am a 44 and I to have a prb................

Remember that at this time in US history we have the chubbiest people going. If you go to a large outlet for suits, and look at the number of suits and jackets on the racks they have you will note that the further you get from the average size the less the number of suits and jackets available. Although smaller has more simply because kid grows up thru those smaller sizes, on the big end there definately tends to be less. (Unless you are at the big mans shop!)

There is a measurement of people say for height or weight which when ploted on a graph by quantity of incidence those numbers produces what is called a Bell Curve. On each side as you move further from the "average" the less the number of incidents of a person that size. As we have gotten chubbier the average size of a suit has moved towards bigger, but in the past people tended to be more slender so the incidences are fewer.

So if you happen to wear a size 50 like I do your chances of finding a vintage suit remain "slim" as the number of people and the percentage of populace that wore that size was fewer than now. Also if a certain size suit was maybe harder to get the likelyhood if it being worn more until worn out might be higher to so the examples remaing might even be fewer due to usage- maybe.

Please review your notes, as we'll be having a pop quiz tomorrow!

YETI

A-List Customer
Nick Charles said:
I wear a 46S suit and I'm looking to get a couple of vinatge ones. I 'd like to be a 44s but you know how good cooking gets the better of you. I would also like to know the best resource for suit styles. I get stuff from the library all the time but the catalog reprints usually are mostly ladies stuff. Thanks a bunch gents.
I have an early 50s double breasted pinstripe suit you might be interested in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy