Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

Red Tractors

New in Town
New member checking in.

I'm far from total immersion, I suppose I have a background that would lend itself to it though. My Parents home, growing up, save for the console TV in the living room (Five stations!) was very little changed since my Great Grandfather had last remodeled it in the 1930's, right down to the claw-foot tub. My Grandmother's home next door was little changed from 1958. My Grandfather's 1963 Mercury was, and still is, in it's place in the garage. Mom and Dad have always surrounded themselves with antiques. Grandma and I spent hours watching classic movies and 1950's TV.

My inborn pack-rat instinct led me to become a collector, my love of history led me into historical preservation. (Current President of a small ish 501c3 in the process of restoring two 19th century railroad stations.) Plus I'm slowly equipping the family farm with a period perfect set of ca.1950 equipment.

I never even attempted to keep up with clothing styles myself, My formal education is somewhat lacking, and I've mainly worked blue-collar jobs where practicality dictates the uniform. Leading a historical society and gradually building a sideline as a semi-professional Photographer has required me to improve my wardrobe somewhat. I have a deep distaste for the blatant slovenliness that has overrun the nation. I'm also somewhat reserved unless I'm in the company of friends.

Whenever I'm in a position where I'm not going to get dirty, (sadly not often) I'm wearing Chino's, a 100% cotton OCBD Florsheim or other vintage American longwings. And where it's acceptable a thrifted tweed jacket or a heavy wool topcoat. So I'm pretty well stuck somewhere between 1945 and '58 or so. Suits where I can find them are what you might expect to find here in the mid-west, and I've been fairly lucky considering I'm between a 46R and a 48R depending. Anything else vintage I'm simply not going to find in my size. Guys my size existed, but they wore things out!

As a natural hat person I have fallen under the spell of the Fedora, and I must have the face/build for them because In an area where I should be getting all sorts of odd looks, the reaction to my hats has been surprisingly positive.

Vintage Rose

New in Town
So, when I was 5 I had gloves a black velvet hat with netting from the fifties and would draw a beauty mark on the top of my lip. I've always loved antiques and used to love the Victorian era. When I was a teen I got into swing dancing and was fascinated by the forties. I've always loved the romance of the old films. I remember watching them as a girl and desperately wondering if there were any guys out there still wearing hats and suits and pulling out chairs for ladies (my husband has the manners, but not the dress:) ). I also devoured the Chronicles of Narnia as a child and that was about children from that era. I'm envious of the community people used to have, of ice cream socials, and having roots in a town. There were bad things (segregation, etc.), but I wish there was some way to bring back the manners and the civility and glamour. So, it's been coming in bits and pieces a long time (I've obviously always been a bit of an anachronism), but I've noticed that my wardrobe, while new, is all vintage inspired. I wear hats often when out of the house (those are vintage) and rock vintage lipstick. I recently set my hair for the first time (thanks to the Beauty section of Fedora Lounge). I feel better when I am dressed decently and prettily, and I LOVE LOVE the styles of the 40's and early 50's. So, I dress in what I like and that happens to be at least heavily inspired by vintage things.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I feel better when I am dressed decently and prettily, and I LOVE LOVE the styles of the 40's and early 50's. So, I dress in what I like and that happens to be at least heavily inspired by vintage things.

You and I might be sisters ;) Actually, a lot of us here might be!

I remember reading something LizzieMaine wrote in the Observation Bar thread, "Retro Extremists? What are we called?", and feeling that she not only hit the nail on the head, but hammered it into place:

"Maybe that's the key to the whole thing, right there -- an Atavist or whatever you want to call it has a profound and continuing sense of being *in* the modern era, but not being culturally *of* it. It's more than just an aesthetic thing, it's an actual sense of disconnect."

That's precisely how I would describe how deep my style goes. Friends and family have described walking into my house as walking into 1955. Actually, except for the television, laptop computer, and cellphone, it is! I didn't live in the 50's (my favourite era) but somehow I feel more comfortable with things from the past, or inspired heavily by the past, than I do with modern ones. It isn't just about dressing vintage - My mind is always there, as though I live in that time but find myself in the future somehow.

Last edited:
People always tell me they feel like they just stepped back in time walking into my house, or they feel like they're at a grandparent's house. Everything here is old, dating from the 40's to the 70's, except for my 80's console TV's, that I'm watching 'Leave it to Beaver' on as we speak.

I grew up in the 90's but was always just more interested and more comfortable with old things. I think it's because we always lived in old houses and my parents collect antiques. I wouldn't trade my way of life for anything.
That's precisely how I would describe how deep my style goes. Friends and family have described walking into my house as walking into 1955. Actually, except for the television, laptop computer, and cellphone, it is! I didn't live in the 50's (my favourite era) but somehow I feel more comfortable with things from the past, or inspired heavily by the past, than I do with modern ones. It isn't just about dressing vintage - My mind is always there, as though I live in that time but find myself in the future somehow.

Vintage Rose

New in Town
"Maybe that's the key to the whole thing, right there -- an Atavist or whatever you want to call it has a profound and continuing sense of being *in* the modern era, but not being culturally *of* it. It's more than just an aesthetic thing, it's an actual sense of disconnect."

That's exactly it. I've just never felt connected to the era I was born and lived in. My mannerisms, my tastes, everything is just not "with-it". Even when I was at my most "current" phase in life, my friends called me June Cleaver. I've always gotten along with older folks best- either greatest generation or old southern hippies. I don't know if you feel this at all, but there is always an underlying sense of loss- almost like you went to bed in 1940 and you woke up in 2010 and you can't get back to where you really fit. Every time I think of the fact that the people of the generation I love best are passing away, soon to be gone from this earth, I feel so terribly sad.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if you feel this at all, but there is always an underlying sense of loss- almost like you went to bed in 1940 and you woke up in 2010 and you can't get back to where you really fit.

That's scary - I was feeling like this just last night! I was curled up in bed watching a Malt Shop Memories concert on PBS, and getting so excited seeing the bands perform again. They're obviously much older now and their voices don't sound the same (though they were still good), but I couldn't help feeling sad. I would have loved so much to see them in their heyday, when I could have enjoyed the music for the first time. What made me more sad was knowing that most of the greats have been dead for years, and all I've got is the recordings.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
A lot of kindred spirits here!

As a twin (who lost his sibling at birth) and a gemini (apparently that's my sign or chart thingy, what ever that means)to boot, I'm told I'll never be happy with where I'm at or what I'm doing because there's part of me that's missing. Personally I think I'm an old soul and was just born in the wrong time.

I'll also echo what most of the fellas have mentioned. It's hard to go vintage unless you find the right sizes. I also love the fact that folks can find furniture and fixtures that lend to such a feeling. Many reenactors I know always strive for PC (Period Correct). while in many cases folks have to settle for PFC... "Pretty Fff-ing Close". Unfortunately for many of us, we'll have to be satisfied with the near miss.

One way I always "made due" was sewing suspender buttons on my pants and the use of a good vest. I'm not sure how to word this correctly... But I also found that a vest and suspenders are also a good cheat to "break our silhouettes" when we're trying to hide a pound.... or ten?

Hey, what can I say? I ain't twenty five anymore! I wish I was!!

I will also mention that when it comes to us fellas, we "can" sometimes be a dime a dozen. But when it comes to a vintage look, it's really the ladies that stand out and look like a million bucks!

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I wish I had a closet full of suits, but all I have is a drawer full of T's and jeans.

I need a job, I want a good suit to match my fedora and flat cap.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I will also mention that when it comes to us fellas, we "can" sometimes be a dime a dozen. But when it comes to a vintage look, it's really the ladies that stand out and look like a million bucks!

That's one reason why I love the vintage look for both men and women - Ladies look so feminine, and fellas look so masculine. I haven't seen a whole lot of men in a vintage look under 75, so they would never appear dime-a-dozen to me :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ ITA, C-dot. The majority of men I see out in public are wearing untucked t-shirts or (shudder) sports jerseys with rumpled pants and tennis shoes, so anyone dressed up or vintage definitely stands out.

I have to say that I dress vintage maybe 30% of the time. Recently, it has probably been more like 10%. Ugh. Our house was built in 1958 and retains a lot of the original features and has quite a few antiques, but also lots of modern conveniences and decor. We cook at home most of the time and I do make a lot of vintage recipes, and also do things like hang-dry our laundry. We mostly watch old films or documentaries. I think our overall mentality is probably where we are the most vintage. We both enjoy vintage things and style much more than modern, and many of our overall opinions on things would fit better in 1941 or 1931, rather than 2011.

Stewart Field

New in Town
As to one of Matt's questions - vintage is very much in my soul, it has risen from somewhere deep inside me over the years to a point where it's a far preferred way of life to modern society. However for me, it's not just dressing in a vintage suit. Most of my clothes are from the more recent years, however I maintain sufficient style to at least fool those around me. Vintage in my mind is very much an attitude, an appreciation of what has been left behind - class, effort in looking good, manners, having to take extra steps to complete a task and appreciating the end result (straight razor shaving as an example). Even making such small efforts as replacing modern, imported, faux whatever with natural materials (solid wood instead of veneer, etc). Most of all I simply make every effort to avoid embracing or imitating a modern lifestyle.

Metatron

One Too Many
The love of quality material and patterns I think stems from my parents who were in the fashion industry. There were always old clothes, tweed caps, leather jackets and such around the house, which influenced my sensibility.
Then it was my interest in vintage aviation, and while perusing the photos of pilots by their aircraft, I started to become interested in the clothing.

It all started to converge on 1930s fashion. I draw lots of inspiration from old films, photos and the fedora lounge members, but I try to acquire some key items and then combine them in an unstudied way. The more stuff from the era that I look at, the more I find that people could be as individualistic as today, with the exception that they generally didn't go beyond the boundaries of flattering clothing. There was no sense of being ironic in a 'it's ugly on purpose' kind of way. People dressed to look good.

So classic casual is probably my preferred aesthetic. Relaxed but elegant. I have found that vintage can look pretty timeless:

There's nothing here that can't be replicated with modern clothing, provided that the the trousers aren't too low waisted.

Jimmy_1948

New in Town
I'm also in the same boat here, I don't wear actual vintage due to size limitations, but I do wear reproductions and vintage inspired clothing probably 90% of the time and I have since high school. I'm always trying to get the family to follow suit and dress at least partially vintage. I don't always win, but I think I'm starting to covert the kids at least a little bit.

fashion frank

One Too Many
That's one reason why I love the vintage look for both men and women - Ladies look so feminine, and fellas look so masculine. I haven't seen a whole lot of men in a vintage look under 75, so they would never appear dime-a-dozen to me :)

I really like this post "Ladies look so feminine and fellas look so masculine."

That is why I love the look of the 30's and 40's not to mention the music (listening to Bob Crosby A.H.O. playing "so far so good " , with Helen Forrest singing as I type this.)

I really miss the days when you would see people taking the time and the effort to look "presentable" when they went out in public and giving a damn about their appearance.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Joan Holloway

New in Town
Indeed, for a lady it's difficult to "be 30s" nowadays, but I consider myself a Golden Age lady in my mind!
I wear normal clothes unless it's formal. So "everyday clothes" are modern clothes, and formal clothes are vintage clothes :)

fashion frank

One Too Many
Indeed, for a lady it's difficult to "be 30s" nowadays, but I consider myself a Golden Age lady in my mind!
I wear normal clothes unless it's formal. So "everyday clothes" are modern clothes, and formal clothes are vintage clothes :)

Hey welcome to the Forum it's filled with a lotta great people !

Now to the topic at hand .

Hey thats cool with me on however and or what style you dress you wear when and or how .

What kill's me is the "uniform of the days " today .
For women it' its sweat or yoga style pants ,t- shirt and hair up in a scrunggie type pony tail, crocks or sneakers or
flip flops for footwear .

For men its flip flops or sneakers , cargo pants ,t shirt with some asinie slogan and or a ball cap.
Thats the problem ,not taking and or investing any time in one's personal appearance today .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

sw709

Familiar Face
Hi all,

I don't post much here, although I've been a member for few years.

In response to the thread query, I would say my vintage style was 'rekindled' a few years back as a response to the current tastes of many of my work associates. I had embraced vintage clothing...in fact...vintage everything, back in my early 20's. Somewhere in my early 30's, I kind of lost my way with vintage and started dressing like many others around me.

One day, I looked at myself in the mirror (as well as other around me), and said 'I need a different style'. I was tired of wearing polo shirts, cheap mall jeans & baseball caps. It felt like I was wearing a middle-aged man's uniform.

Fortunately, there are so many more options to look 'vintage' these days, with the Japanese & American artisan makers, crafting great vintage style workwear, jackets, boots & the like.

Now I'm in heaven. I dress vintage all the time....I'd call my style 'upscale workwear'. It allows me to dress in a casual style that fits most every occasion, while feeling that I'm evoking the look that fits my age. I get comments all the time...always positive...about my hats, boots, jackets, whatever. I've also turned a number of my friends & co-workers into fans of certain vintage items.

All in all, I think we are pretty fortunate to live in our own sort of 'Golden Age', where we can see & sample the renaissance of so many sartorial goods being made by artisanal craftsmen (many of whom advertise here on TFL).

It's a good time to be alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner