Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

p71towny

Familiar Face
Not too deep. 99% of the clothes I wear are new. I'm a T-shirt and jeans guy. If I had the money for suits I'd rock em all the time. I wouldn't wear vintage tho, cause half the time the stuff my grandma pawns off on me to use as work clothes disintegrates in a day and becomes rags. I do wear an old Air Force peacoat like this one when its single digits. Cept mine is in way better shape and doesn't hold as high ranking lol.
hzlH.jpg
That s.o.b. is WARM.

andromeda

New in Town
I would like ro wear vintage, but the best I can do right now is just vintage inspired. I want to design my own clothes that are vintage inspired.

Marshall

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately my style is mostly limited to a couple of hats and a trenchcoat. I don't really dress according to present fashions (I don't have any idea what is even considered "in" right now). I usually sport cargo pants with a collarless, sweater type shirt.

I think it would be great to dress vintage constantly, but I guess I don't really want the attention it would bring. :eek:

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
I have no wardrobe so I'm in the perfect position to reinvent myself. I've always been a living historian/reenactor so this is a natural extension of that love of history.

NakedGhost

New in Town
What an interesting question to ask!
I'm new to the forum, but I'm new to vintage as culture and lifestyle as well. I of course knew that some people dressed in vintage clothes and bought vintage items...but the degree to which some of you take it is really fantastic! Your enthusiasm is inspiring, to say the least.

I wouldn't say that I'm looking to take on a complete vintage look and lifestyle, but rather introduce more vintage styling into my everyday life. I already do this to some degree, and have for years, I just suppose that now I'm actually realizing it and making my choices more intentional. What I'm really looking for in clothing are pieces that have a vintage look to them, but in modern cuts. I like to exude a very classic look, but on my terms. Similarly, I appreciate the details and design of vintage products like home goods, radios, furniture...just about everything, but I definitely appreciate modern functionality. I like a fine line between classic and modern that I intend to make my own reality.

So is my style deep? I would say no. Like much design it is superficial, yet informative. My style (or what I'm aiming for) tells a little bit about me, but is by no means a complete picture. My life does not revolve around lost eras, I am just romantically influenced by them.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I'm a mix. I have a bit of golden-era style on the surface, but most of it is deeper than the wardrobe level. I can't find (or afford) actual vintage items, so I do the best fedora shopping I can on a poor college student's budget. And if I find a sport coat or suit in the thrift store that looks good, I buy it right away, even though I know nothing of coat, shirt, or pants styles.

Let me describe the deep-down style through an example: I had the greatest Sunday walk ever, strolling through dark small-town streets with Bobby Darin tunes playing from a music player in my suit pocket. (I had been "too busy" ;) to change since church.) I was constantly stopping to look at the stars, or to sing a few lines of "Beyond the Sea," and I was snapping to the beat most of the way. When I got to the shop and unexpectedly got a call from an old flame of 2 years ago, I reminded myself to "speak how I look." If you're wearing a subtly-pinstriped gray suit with a fedora, you'd better act gentlemanly!

I hope that style jives with the theme here, because I felt more like myself tonight than I have in... we'll just steal from Harry James and say "It's Been a Long Long Time." ♫ :whistle:

C Gregory Purbaugh

New in Town
Mine isn't too deep as well. I'm pretty new to this, I like the style, but at work I generally do not look old school. I have started wearing flannel and non flannel plaid shirts lately, but The warehouse isn't gentle on clothes, so I spend as little as possible...

On the other hand, I use vitalis in my hair most days, and shave with a safety razor, and am looking for a straight razor at antique shops.

My father owns a 1930 Model A that I am restoring as well.

dragonbait

New in Town
I would say that my style goes deep, but it isn't 100% vintage. I almost never leave the house without being done up, but my personal style involves lots of different vintage eras as well as influences from modern couture and RTW. I own a fair amount of actual vintage, though mostly from a later era most people here are interested in (50's and 60's) and mostly cocktail dresses, but I make a substantial portion of my wardrobe from vintage patterns. My daily uniform is a less-than-perfect pin curl set, red lipstick, a fitted sweater, straight skirt, and pearls. My purses and shoes are usually pretty aggressively modern, though, and (as far as I can tell) it never looks like I'm in costume.

Sewing is definitely the major difference, I think, that makes this possible. I've been lucky enough to be able to stitch professionally and be taught by people who have draped for Broadway, and it means that I'm able to have a lot more control over the quality, fit, and message of my clothing for a relatively small amount of money.

missjo

Practically Family
I don't have anything modern in my house except my computer, a fridge and ipod that plays vintage broadcasts from my old radio.
I don't have any modern clothing at all except one or two reproduction 1940s dresses.
My etiquette is vintage, the way I talk, the way I write, the way I interact.
Just my computer and my activities on the internet and the virtual world called Second Life (where I build and run the 1920s Berlin sim) are modern I guess.
No car, no mobile phone, no washer, no dryer, no fax, no microwave, etc.

I don't have anything modern in my house except my computer, a fridge and ipod that plays vintage broadcasts from my old radio. I don't have any modern clothing at all except one or two reproduction 1940s dresses. My etiquette is vintage, the way I talk, the way I write, the way I interact.
Just my computer and my activities on the internet and the virtual world called Second Life (where I build and run the 1920s Berlin sim) are modern I guess. No car, no mobile phone, no washer, no dryer, no fax, no microwave, etc.

With the exception of the Ipod and Computer you could be Amish?

missjo

Practically Family
Not Amish, Interbellum-ish. ;)

I wouldn't want to live without my radio, gramophone player, silk stockings, movies, etc.

Tatum

Practically Family
I have a mix of modern vintage inspired...and have been collecting true vintage. Slowly the scale is tipping as I aquire more....

That sounds like me. Over the past few weeks, I have had the opportunity to really work on my wardrobe--both with a nice little windfall and some great company--and I just realized that, while I am out of town for a few days (admittedly for a meetup with another Lounger), I only brought two RTW items with me... I am trying to figure out what to wear today!

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
I would say that my style runs deep, but it doesnt have all that much to do with clothes. I dont own any true vintage suits yet, but the two I own have, I think, a more vintage styled cut than most, and of course tailored to fit. I wear a suit almost daily, and when I don't wear a suit I usually wear khakis or jeans with a collared shirt or polo, and usually a sweater or sport coat. To me the issue is not as much the clothes as much as the man wearing them. I dress nicely because I hold the opinion that a gentleman should be presentable when he is in public, especially in a professional or academic environment. Most of my peers consider me old fashioned, and my views antiquated. But I also find I am taken more seriously by my elders and superiors than many of my peers. Since I've been away from the cultural and sartorial abyss that is the Marine Corps at times, I've had a much better reception from my peers as well, especially those of the fairer sex. Clothing is an expression of one's personality. I wear a suit because I like to, I wear fedoras, vintage ties, and French cuff shirts because I enjoy wearing them. Knowing I look sharp makes me feel good and gives me a better outlook on life. A man does not dress well to do poorly in life. Style is the total package to me. If you look good, you will feel good. If you feel good, you will do better in life.

I think that we get to see such a great mix of approaches to vintage here. We read about people for who their search has lead to extensive true vintage wardrobes, others are slowly collecting vintage for their use. Some of us may only have a little vintage, I have some vintage fedoras and ties but don't have vintage clothing as I tend not to find my size and won't dedicate the time for the search either. I have one item that was made for me to be a reproduction of a vintage vest. The rest is semi-vintage inspired. If I won the lottery, I'd get a few things made, buy some retro reproductions and search a bit more for true vintage.

All in all I commend everyone on their enjoyment of the fashions.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, I have a few vintage pieces, hats, ties, a couple shirts, etc, but it's tough being a big guy looking for these things.

As far as the style goes, even if I'm just heading to the factory, I'm dressed nice, clothes ironed, hair combed, etc. I also never leave the house without my hat.

I think that we get to see such a great mix of approaches to vintage here. We read about people for who their search has lead to extensive true vintage wardrobes, others are slowly collecting vintage for their use. Some of us may only have a little vintage, I have some vintage fedoras and ties but don't have vintage clothing as I tend not to find my size and won't dedicate the time for the search either. I have one item that was made for me to be a reproduction of a vintage vest. The rest is semi-vintage inspired. If I won the lottery, I'd get a few things made, by some retro reproductions and search a bit more for true vintage.

All in all I commend everyone on their enjoyment of the fashions.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I dress in 20's - 40's more formal styles, most of the clothes I own are modern but I go for things with plaets cuffs and wide lapels, but I wear them with vintage accessories ie Hats, Pocket Wathces, Pens, Shoes, Bow Ties/Ties, and Braces.

Everyday, I wear a suit or odd jacket with a hat and brogues... unless of course its 95 degrees out... then I still wear a hat (Summer Boater), very light cotton/linen shirt with sleeves rolled up to 3/4, Linen Trousers, Specs, Braces.

Mark D

One of the Regulars

Your home is...why, it's absolutely period perfect! I just realized that you're the woman from the Netherlands that I stumbled upon on youtube. I think it must have been a local news station that was doing a story on your period lifestyle.

I can't imagine the amount of time and effort that you have invested in creating your home and lifestyle. You have my sincerest admiration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner