Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
So is your vintage wardrobe a costume closet or a clothes closet. I myself wear what I have and maintain what I have as my day to day wears... I'm not really totally vintage, I wear what looks good. Though I want to know if it is a costume for you. If you could wear it daily would you?

The rockabilly scene it's in the soul and those guys and gals wear it all over the place.

It's harder for the ladies to do 30's nowadays on a daily basis ( I know two in LA that do).

Is it you? is it an ideal version of you when you dress up?

How into the vintage look are you deep down?

Is it part of your soul?

There is a casual side too you know... it's not all gowns and suits...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
wow, your on a roll with these threads! :D
For me, my clothes are my wardrobe. When first going into looking at vintage clothing, I was really unsure if I would really like it. I started looking at old magazine's and realized how great these women looked! such a major contrast to what I see mostly today. Then trying on the clothes..I was won over. They fit and look incredibly well. There is something about the dresses especially that make you feel very feminine in them. My vintage wardrobe is very small right now but I'm slowly buying more .

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I try to dress in a 'vintage' style always. I only own a small amount of actual vintage items that I try to match with modern made items that are as close as I can find. I have been into this long enough now that if I try to wear something too modern I find that I feel awkward.

Rosie

One Too Many
I'd have to say that I'm usually vintage or vintage inspired when I leave the house. (In the house, a different story, unless I have company of course ;) ) As I'm getting older, it's getting more and more difficult for me to be ordinary casual. Even on the occasions when I wear jeans, it's never jeans and a t shirt. It's a blouse, a blazer, my hair and makeup are done, there are flowers in my hair, I'll even try on a pair of gloves or two until I convince myself otherwise.

Deep down, if I could get away with it and not draw too much attention to myself, I would go ALL OUT everyday! The hat, the gloves, the hair, all of it. I do like modern clothes but I usually throw a little vintage twist into the mix.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I have a LOT of vintage inspired clothes...that's not my difficulty. I admit, though, that I tone down the lipstick to a softer red, and I wear my hair in a pretty generic style on a daily basis. I want heads to turn because someone thinks I look good...not because it looks like it's Halloween in my little world.

And maybe I'm just chicken.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Vintage style really is how I dress all of the time. The only real question is the degree of formality which is usually dictated by how hot and humid it is outside and where I am going for the day.

For example, my "uniform" for school, and basic day-to-day outside errands is vintages-styled khakis, a button-down shirt of some sort, and penny loafers with either a fedora or a newsboy cap. If it gets colder I add a sweater, jacket and tie. If it gets warmer I roll up the sleeves on the shirt.

For dressier occassion of course I have wool and linen pants instead of khakis, and broadcloth point and tab collared shirts.

I really don't have a huge load of vintage clothes, so usually what I wear is a collection of modern vintage-looking clothes with a few vintage pieces to add flavor. For instance I might wear a new outfit with vintage spectator shoes, vintage tie and vintage cufflinks for example.

For me then, it really isn't a costume. In fact, wearing really modern clothes would look like a costume on me since I have not worn such things since my parents were in charge of dressing me.

Tin Pan Sally

It's part of who I am, but it isn't all I am. Classic glasses, shoes, clothes, jewelry, hats, gloves, accessories, MUSIC, movies, books, housewares, etc. It's in my blood. I was raised on this stuff. It's just always been a part of my life. I'm pre-gap.
When the other kids were watching HR Puffenstuff, my parents had me watching 30-50s musicals, film noir, swashbucklers (and I even liked it). The music and dance were the main things that grabbed me. My Grandfather was a drummer/piano player. My Fathers friends had a Dixieland band. My mother had a great collection of big band albums (and some autographs including Glenn Miller). Don't get me wrong, I liked my late '70s punk rock, but it didn't swing.
As a small kid, I watched my brother fix up his 1942 Army surplus jeep that he got at auction. I liked it better than the neighbors Torino. I figured out at an early age that I preferred the lines of the early sedans over the El Caminos I kept seeing drive past.
My Mom used do volunteer work at a thrift store when I was a little girl. She'd bring home vintage attire for me to play dress up in. I never outgrew that. I wore the same dresses to jr/sr high school years later, they just weren't dragging on the floor anymore. I inherited an amazing vintage crystal rhinestone jewelry collection and other wearables. I found that the "old lady silver screen" clothes both fit me better and suited me better than the valley mall girl or "new wave" fads around me. I then began combing garage sales and second hand stores for more goodies. It was like finding buried treasure when I'd come across something. Now I can make my own outfits, so I don't have to search unless I want to.
Maybe in some ways I'm living in the past (someone else's past) but at least I don't have a muffin top. Today we can enjoy the finer things from a by-gone era while reaping the benefits of a more enlightened society. I believe it's time for the two to merge with common courtesy, self-respect, and respect for others.
I'll get off my soap box now.

Trickeration

Practically Family
TinPanSally-our history's are amazing similar, but with me it was Grandma who played piano in little clubs in the 40's, and I must admit I managed to sqeeze in a little Puffenstuff and Sigmund (now I realize where my love of props and crazy costumes come from) in between the 30's-50's films ;) . Very cool!

My soapbox begins here:
One day last fall, I'd just showered and dried my hair when a freind came by to pick up or kids for swim practice. I was in jeans and a button down shirt, but my hair was just down loose. John stared at me like I had 2 heads for a minute and said "Wow! I've known you guys for 3 years and I've never seen you with your down before!" I just laughed about it and said the old " just washed my hair and I can't do a thing with it" thing. I don't even think about how I look to others, it's just who I am. It was nice to see that others know it's who I am too.

I'd say that for me, the only time I'm not in vintage is when I'm going to be down on my hands and knees scrubbing or doing yard work or painting. Daily wear for me is usually side-zip jeans, button shirts or short sleeved sweaters or pull-overs, keds or loafers. I also dress accordingly, in vintage, for whatever else I'm doing, like evening or dinnerwear, business attire, etc. Usually my style sways more to late 40's early 50's stuff, though I'll occasionally pick up a modern item if it really looks right (and thankfully more is showing up in stores :eusa_clap ). If I'm in a t-shirt or sweats, you're not likely to see me out in public unless I really have to be, such as I ran out of potting soil mid-planting. I guess I've gotten to where I really don't feel like myself if I'm not 'dressed'.

I have friends that don't always wear vintage. When I see them in modern clothes, sometimes I find myself wondering, "Who are you, really? Is it dress-up to you? Is it just a phase, or do you really appreciate vintage?" I know that it really depends on the person, and I'm sure the friends I have now truly love and appreciate vintage styles and the history behind them. I've been in vintage circles for a long time, so I've gotten pretty good at telling who's going to stick with it. I've seen people come and go. But every once in a while, I'm suprised. I'll admit it bugs me too, when I see someone who suddenly shows up in perfect vintage/vintage style only to impress people. To me, that person makes vintage a costume when they wear it with no real appreciation for the era, style, etc. And that's a little insulting to those who take vintage clothing, or a particular era's style seriously. I'm not saying one must be all vintage, all the time, though. Just that if you're going to wear it, own it, and appreciate it. Even if it's just one vintage item mixed with some modern stuff. (But all vintage is cooler! :D )

End of soapbox rant...Trix

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
some people were born to wear vintage. they aren't dabblers or part-timers. they probably bought something years ago and they became obsessed with the quality and cut of vintage clothes and their collection grew and grew until there was nothing in their wardrobe but vintage clothing and there was no going back. i'm one of those.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm vintage from the inside out; for me it's a matter of values. I don't wear a lot of vintage at all, but I have always been of another era, mostly a mix of the late Victorian Era and the 40's and 50's. I rarely read a book written after those times. In my leisure I read outdated magazines because the advice is great and I love the images. I make a living from the past (I don't post about it on here but feel free to PM me). I hope to one day have a home with a large percentage of antiques. Now, while I don't wear vintage, I snub modern trends.

Naama

Practically Family
Well, my times are the late 20's to early 30's, it's very, very hard for me to find stuff for daytime that is in good enough shape for everyday wear and also affordable (for me poor girl :( ). But if I could, I would love to! I do my hair (almost) everyday (people ask me about my hair if it's not done) and I try to wear stuff which at least looks like it could be from "my" era.

Naama

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was raised with a '30s-'40s sensibility in a lot of ways, given the amount of time I spent in the time-warp that was my grandparents' house -- so my style isn't so much a "style" as it is an expression of my identity. Somebody once told me I was the only person they'd ever met who could wear saddle shoes without making it seem ironic -- and I guess that kind of sums it up. What you see is who I really am.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Honestly,I can't remember when i started collecting,it was a natural progression sometime in the late 80s,but I started my real collecting in the early 90s and again mid-90's when I discovered the music and jitterbug.I wear alot of vintage-inspired clothing for work and am starting to incorporate more vintage on days that I'm not too busy at the salon.
Daily my style leans toward a vintage collegiate look or 50s daywear and I pretty much wear all vintage for special occassions.
I find it easier to find the party dresses than the day clothes. My hair is growing out and only reached a length I could set last month,but I've still been lazy about doing it. (I can do hair all day and yet I have an aversion to doing my own)
My makeup is more 40s girl-next door,think Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz,but I pile on the glam for evening false lashes,arched brows,brick red lips.

Feraud

Bartender
I do not have vintage clothes but try to align my attitude "in the spirit" of the old days. It is mostly dress shirt & tie to work with a fedora and suit jacket or trenchcoat. The weekends see me in either a Guayabera shirt & khakis (with a hat of course ;) ) or a button down shirt, depending on the weather. I just dug out an ascot I bought years ago and am beginning to incorporate that into my weekend dress.

I have learned a lot about the nuances of vintage clothes and hats from this site. I try to use the accumulated knowledge when buying modern clothes. An important rule I follow is to avoid the trends based on what is "hip". We always look back on those photos with regret! lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Deep down, if I could get away with it and not draw too much attention to myself, I would go ALL OUT everyday! The hat, the gloves, the hair, all of it. I do like modern clothes but I usually throw a little vintage twist into the mix.
ah, if only we lived close to one another! I feel exactly the same way. I would love to have someone else who loved to dress vintage and 'go all out' with me! I'm kind of a chicken to do the whole ensemble by myself :eek:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
This sums it up perfectly for me.
And me, too.

I am always in vintage or vintage-style clothing; I began collecting about five years ago and never looked back. I primarily focus on the late 30s-early 40s, which for me works well for casual wear as well as for my job.

I grew up with the music (my grandfather was a trumpet player, and there were several musicians on my mother's side as well), and when I got into dancing, the clothing and overall look followed. Only, I didn't want the look to stop when the evening was over--it simply felt too right!

Now, I have people ask me if I ever wear my hair in regular styles, or dress in modern clothing, and I always laugh and tell them "Nope!"

In fact, I was at a restaurant with my coworkers the other day, and the hostess commented on my overall look. One of my coworkers started laughing, and the hostess actually became a little embarrassed (though she hadn't said anything rude.) My coworker just thought is was the funniest thing, because she no longer saw me as "dressed up"--that was "just Amanda", and not anything out of the ordinary!

This style has carried over to my home and many other aspects. I read old magazines and books, watch old movies—there is just a connection, and I can’t really explain it :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Having come into vintage dressing through collecting objects (compacts, etc..) I have a slightly different twist on things.

I do not dress vintage every day, and perhaps that makes the times I do a costume for me.

I like vintage style, but I don't sew well enough for it to be a day to do thing for me, and while I could see wearing more vintage at work, ripping the hem or seams out of a 1940's dress while climbing under tables at work to reattach routers, seems more damaging to history then me wearing jeans at work.

I seriously doubt I will ever dress vintage every single day, as I have other things I enjoy and they just dont really mesh with vintage style.

Wishy washy, and not 'into' it enough...perhaps...

Tin Pan Sally

Trickeration said:
TinPanSally-our history's are amazing similar, but with me it was Grandma who played piano in little clubs in the 40's, and I must admit I managed to sqeeze in a little Puffenstuff and Sigmund (now I realize where my love of props and crazy costumes come from) in between the 30's-50's films. Very cool!
You realize that, being raised on vintage, we should probably hate it? ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Well, I'm in the minority in this one.
Hold onto your hats, this is a long one. And for reference, costume=clothing of the people/costuming fashion=trend and design

I consider myself a costume historian. I started costuming when I was about 8 years old. I taught myself to sew by hand and made "victorian" costumes for my cousins. My older cousin was wonderful at sewing and could make Renaissance faire costumes from nothing, without a pattern or anything and sewed all of them by hand. I aspired to get to the place where she was. When I was a little older, she showed me how how to follow a pattern and sew by hand. She started me on the history of costume and helped me learn to sew. My mom took it from there and helped me learn on a machine.
At that time I was primarily interested in Victorian and Edwardian Costume and would scour libraries and look at microfilm until I was blue in the face. I started actually collecting pieces and attended my first vintage fashion expo when I was 14. I started collecting Victorian and Edwardian clothing and that's when I first met Art and Janene. I don't know if she remembers, but she helped me see what to look for in clothing, how to turn it inside out and look for signs of it being made over, the construction, and how to date. I also aquired a friend down here in an older man named Kirk Kirking (who you may have remembered me posting an "in memory" thread on) who showed me basic repairs and let me look at his massive collection to give me inspiration. The items I collected were always for historic value rather than wearing. I always made my own costumes if I wanted something to be worn to an event or to play about in. When I discovered Amazon Drygoods and Alteryears my world was so much brighter! They offer historically correct patterns and notions for costuming. When I was probably about 20 I found the Costumer's Guild West and at their annual classes all about the history of fashion and costume and recreating these articles. I met Vanessa around two years ago through this same event. My interest in fashion and costume history progressed through the 1930's slowly, and I only reached a moderate interest in 1940's clothing in recent years (about 1998), due primarily to classic film and swing dancing. But I have always been interested in the Golden Era and would drag stories out of my grandma and loved looking through magazines like Reminice. I was raised on Classic Film, (I'm actually named after Lauren Bacall) so it was bound to happen eventually.
I went to school at FIDM and gained an honors degree in Fashion Design in 2002. Previously I saw only ugliness and strangeness in modern fashion but it truly transformed my view. Looking at the higher end clothing up close made me realize that construction and detail is still in existance. I admire the imagination and talent that goes into many modern designs. It takes a lot of creativity to make something "new" considering the centuries of fashion innovation that have come before us. I went to FIDM to obtain my degree so I could be accepted into the Costume Design for Film program. They accepted only 12 people a year and you had to have a prior degree in Fashion Design. When I completed my degree with honors and presented my portfolio for the second degree I was accepted. My dream was to create costumes to be worn in big budget Hollywood films so that I could focus on the detailing and fabrics and textures of centuries past, and it could be seen by an audience through film. It would be my way of telling history and art through clothing. I got a little more than halfway through the program when I realized due to many speakers and teachers, that I wasn't sure I wanted to jeopordize my morals just to make a movie. Not that alone, but the possibilities of entering the Union and making it into film seemed non-existant for me.
So in short, if you want me to paraphrase the above, Vintage for me is fashion history but I have a deep appreciation for those who dress in vintage every day. Some days I take one of my pieces from the collection and add it to my wardrobe, but if you saw me walking down the street you probably wouldn't recongize me- most days I'm in jeans or linen pants, sneakers, and a t shirt- hair untidy, little makeup, and glasses. So if that makes Vintage a costume for me, then I guess it is... but I always viewed it as a collection and a fascinating story of culture and history than anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner