Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
mysterygal said:
but I've noticed there's not a whole lot of people who like 50's, or are there?

There's lots of people who like 50's. The Rockabilly Scene is all about this style, and the Tiki Culture goes into the early 60's, I believe :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think there are a lot of people into the 1950s--I don't see as many of them on this board, though. I like the 50s, but it doesn't have the same draw that earlier eras do for me...but when I worked in a vintage furniture store, I met a lot of rockabilly and even mod types (and a whole lot of people into the 1970s, too) :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
I only really like the 50s till about 56/57. The elegance goes out of fashion about then, and you can feel the pull towards the 60s. I also think the early 50s are more interesting socially as we come out of the rationing period and start to redefine the post war era in a variety of ways - gender roles, consumerism, modernity, the whole Atomic Era. The new youth culture takes off about then, and that's possibly one of the more interesting studies once you hit the 60s, but for someone else, not me.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
70's I can't stand..more humorous than anything really. One thing I was glad to see when I was out and about shopping last week is that I'm seeing a lot more vintage inspired clothing out there/ in style now. I hope this classic trend keeps up for quite awhile, personally, a woman looks so much better, and actually commands so much more respect if she's not having certain things almost hanging/falling out! Same with guys, clothing has gotten way too casual..another reason I love the pics of the guys, they look so great! I wish guys would dress like that more often!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's about where my interest lies. Really, my interest in fashion stops at about 1946--I am not a huge fan of the New Look, but there are certain 1950s pieces that I really like, and I can certainly appreciate the history behind that shift in style. It makes a lot of sense really, and it is interesting to look at the shifts in fashion throughout history. But my real love in fashion is from about 1937-1944 :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The interesting thing about the 1970s, is that a great deal of the clothing is based on the 1930s, only badly redone, in horrid fabrics. I was at a vintage clothing store the other day, and there was a 70s one-piece jumpsuit that was obviously based on an late-30s style (it looked a whole lot like decodoll's most recent pattern purchase, the one we like so much.) It would have been terribly cute, had it not been made out of icky polyester fabric:rolleyes:

I agree with you when it comes to menswear—the whole casual image is getting a bit tired. I’d love to see more men in suits; there seems to be a real lack of stylishly dressed men in AZ!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
it's the fabric but also the prints on some of the clothes! That's one thing that frustrates me when going to vintage clothes shops is that most of the clothes are 70's...even some 80's thrown in there (which 80's I do not consider being in a vintage category at all! nor 70's for that matter) ah well, the thrill of treasure hunting! :D

Caledonia

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
That's about where my interest lies. Really, my interest in fashion stops at about 1946--I am not a huge fan of the New Look, but there are certain 1950s pieces that I really like, and I can certainly appreciate the history behind that shift in style. It makes a lot of sense really, and it is interesting to look at the shifts in fashion throughout history. But my real love in fashion is from about 1937-1944 :)

Ditto. My main focus is 37-46. I dabble pre 20s, the 20s are not me at all but I love the change in fashion that happened then and the influence of Chanel (Lauren can correct me I hope if I've not got this right!). Early to mid thirties have really elegant shapes if you avoid the flounces, and I think that simplicity may have made the restrictions of the 40s material rationing more bearable. But I have to admit to a fascination with Dior's reshaping of the couture scene from 47.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Grungy clothes, pricey watches

mysterygal said:
70's I can't stand..more humorous than anything really. One thing I was glad to see when I was out and about shopping last week is that I'm seeing a lot more vintage inspired clothing out there/ in style now. I hope this classic trend keeps up for quite awhile, personally, a woman looks so much better, and actually commands so much more respect if she's not having certain things almost hanging/falling out! Same with guys, clothing has gotten way too casual..another reason I love the pics of the guys, they look so great! I wish guys would dress like that more often!

:eusa_clap

Speaking of men's casual clothing, I visited my best friend's work, a high-end jewelry store where they sell watches starting at about $1,000. I assumed the clientele would be well-dressed. Casual, maybe, but well-dressed. But they were in shorts, bedraggled t-shirts and flip-flops like everyone else. Do they think a $1,000 watch is going to give them panache when they're dressed like they are going to clean out the garage?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
but you know, those casual clothes those guys were wearing probably cost a lot too. This is something I just do not get...people who will pay a lot to look sloppy! may as well visit WalMart or something[huh]

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tin Pan Sally said:
So what decade did you finally settle on Wild Root?
One of my best friends in school was obsessed with the 20's, but even had it narrowed down to a specific 2 year period that she liked. She had the facial features and figure of that time, it worked perfectly for her. She knew her stuff too, a walking history book, that girl.

Well, I'm very fond of the period of 1937-1942. I also do some late 40's styles... I even have early 50's clothes that I like. But, my main style is that of late 30's and early 40's... I do have some 20's and early 30's clothes but, I tend to enjoy the later part of the decade more.;)

mysterygal said:
Root, I love your style, every picture I've seen of you, you look absolutely fabulous. You would for sure get a compliment from me! Plus I've noticed you've got the perfect 'gentleman' personality....ok, now that you're probably getting all puffed up now I'll stop ;) but seriously, there are really not a lot of gentleman type guys out there and it's refreshing with you and the other guys in here who have that same mentality :eusa_clap

Why thank you Mysterygal! What can I say but, I do my best. I study old photos and movies to get the right look down for what I feel comfortable in. I've been told that I'm a very old soul in that I walk and stand like some one from another time. The 'gentleman' personality is all 100% natural Root, I was raised to be such. I enjoy opening doors for ladies I date and doing other things a 'gentleman' would do. It's just who I am.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

=WR=

Caledonia

Practically Family
Absolutely! I have a niece who paid £150.00 (approx $280) for a piece of pink plastic handbag that was so tasteless, never mind inelegant, instead of spending $75 and getting a vintage one with real style.[huh] And, to add my support of the gents at the Fedora, you really all do look fabulous. I can't forget a gentleman I saw in Glasgow many years ago dressed in an immaculate suit with the most perfectly tailored overcoat, sadly no hat, but brimming with confidence, and all eyes turned. Let's hope the fashion tide also turns and we can get back to a more stylish era soon. :)

J

jp*81

MysteryGal~

but you know, those casual clothes those guys were wearing probably cost a lot too. This is something I just do not get...people who will pay a lot to look sloppy! may as well visit WalMart or something

I don't get it and can't stand it either. How can they pay so much for a T-Shirt, Jeans, or Flip Flops (I saw them for $50 :eek: at a store in the mall) give me a break...

But that is why I am in love with the past. They had pride in everything they did, and it showed.

Edit:
Oh yeah... I dress casual all of the time. I am a stay-at-home mom. And I don't pay a lot for my clothes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
or buying a brand new pair of jeans with holes already in them? :rolleyes:
vintage style clothes are so elegant! And what's also so great about them is that they'll never go out of style either :)

J

jp*81

Oh my...

I forgot about those. lol

I would love to wear vintage, but right now I would feel like I am all dressed up with no where to go. I wear casual clothes with make-up and a vintage-ish hair so that might look funny too, I don't know. I do what I like.

Ooohhh... I can start when I go back to work. That sounds fun. The Marines is the only "real" job I have had and you have to wear a uniform to work everyday. :rage: I hate heavy starch.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Women have always had casual clothes. Remember Rosie the Riverter? I think women might have worn pants a lot more during the golden age than we might think, especially if they did much manual labor. I doubt many housewives looked like June Cleaver when they were stoking the furnace or gathering the eggs.

There is no reason why casual clothes, vintage or not, can't look nice. Casual clothes, ideally, should be in good repair, in a flattering cut and color, should fit, and should be worn in an appropriate setting.

BTW, I think the uniform of the Marines looks very smart. Can't you use fabric sizing instead of starch in the summer?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Quote:MissNeecerie
Who can't help but hum the BeeGee's 'How Deep is Your Love' every time I see this thread title?

lol Well,I am now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland