Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wow, great stories! Amazing how much we're revealing ourselves.

Thanks to my mother's French side of the family, I've always been connected to art, antiques and vintage in general. I grew up seeing old family photos and hearing the most fantastic stories about my ancestors' lives.

When I was entering my 'teens, the preppy look became nationally "trendy". My new school was very prep, so I began to dig further into the look. That's when I found out about 1920s and '30s styles. I didn't know about thrift stores and vintage clothing back then, so I poked around modern stores -- in vain -- for truly Golden Era styles. (The irony is, many of those styles eventually did come back in fashion. By then, however, I'd already discovered vintage clothing, so it didn't matter.)

I prefer wearing vintage when I have to "dress up". Suits, ties, dress shoes, tuxedos. I've never much liked the way that vintage casual wear looks and feels on me. My daily clothes are jeans, khakis, and cotton shirts in simple, muted colors. I do wear a couple of vintage suede jackets, though.

At this point in my life, I prefer selling vintage over keeping it. Sometimes I buy something just to take photos and measurements of it -- and then, I sell it. One of my greatest pleasures is sharing these photos with the Fedora Lounge. It's the "older collector" mentality: buy the Picasso, then lend (or donate) it to a museum for all to enjoy.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A chip off the OLD block...

My dad was born in 1901 and was quite a saver.... I mean of stuff. I grew up around 'old stuff'. I've saved most of his stuff myself over the years. (Sadly my mother discarded most of the clothing years ago!)

Dad was also a piece of living history - 2 years old when the Wrights first flew, 11 when Titanic sank, 12 when WWI began, 25 when Lindbergh flew, 27 when the Stock Market crashed..... he could tell history by his birthdate!

I have an inate sense of history just by being around him and it reflects in my taste today. Rimless eyeglasses, fountain pen, fedoras. Who is that that says, "I want my Century back!"???

I must admit that I've been influenced as well by modern media. I'm a child of the 50's-60' so I love Beatles and British Invasion (I could just as easily dress like Austin Powers!). And televsion and movies are a constant influence. Hell, I dressed like Howard Hughes for a full year after 'Aviator' came out!

There is a practical side where standard modern dress is appropriate, but if I had my druthers I'd look more like Jake Cutter or Mike Sullivan or Gen. Savage from day to day. When I was a child I used to dream of dressing like that; as an adult I do it on whim and without any inhibition. Most of my friends know me for 'playing dress-up' and just accept it. (I just deplore baggy shorts, tee-shirts, ball-caps and flip-flops!!!!..... I wouldn't be caught dead!....)
-dixon cannon

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Marc Chevalier said:
At this point in my life, I prefer selling vintage over keeping it. Sometimes I buy something just to take photos and measurements of it -- and then, I sell it. One of my greatest pleasures is sharing these photos with the Fedora Lounge. It's the "older collector" mentality: buy the Picasso, then lend (or donate) it to a museum for all to enjoy.

With Vintage clothes in general no, Though with hats I have somewhat the same attitude, of course mainly with the ones that don't fit. I give away more than sell... I gotta stop doing that, though I do like seeing the expressions on peoples faces when i give them a hat. I'm becoming a bit more shrewd with money, thuogh in the future I may need a wife to keep me from giving stuff away for free.

flat-top

I wear vintage every day. It's all I own, and like many of you, if it IS new, it's vintage inspired.I don't even think about it, it just IS. I don't own sweat pants or regular sneakers. The first sweatshirt I ever bought in my adult life was a 1930's replica for $90. Every day is a quest to find more "stuff". Some might find this kind of life exhausting, but it truly makes me happy.
flat-top

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I find the quest to find something vintage is exciting and fun, especially when you find an outfit or an article of clothing that screams out, 'this is it, buy me!' :D Lately, it's the search of finding a good vintage store close by.

dr greg

One Too Many
it all comes down to dignity

I have a theory that in men's fashion at least, it is impossible to look dignified in contemporary " streetwear" once you reach your 40's and beyond..and that you cannot look anything but a fool in what you wore in the 70's, 80's etc..
The only thing to do is to go back to the 50's, and retro styling, hence my hobby/obsession for those fabrics and "look". and the quality is far superior to anything coming out of the one-party capitalist stae that will, I believe, be making all the world's clothes by the year 2015

Benny Holiday

flat-top said:
I wear vintage every day. It's all I own, and like many of you, if it IS new, it's vintage inspired.I don't even think about it, it just IS. flat-top

I love that statement, that Flat-top doesn't even think about it; it just IS.

Most of the guys and girls who are into the 30's/40's style here graduated from the Rockabilly scene. We have a saying for the rockers as they approach their late 20's, "old rockers never die, they just become Swing cats."
Ha ha! Well, that doesn't apply to everyone, but it does for quite a few people.

I've been a diehard from the age of 15 when I saw "The Wanderers," and bought my first Stray Cats album. When I was 24, my best friend at the time was into big band and jump blues, especially Cab Calloway and Louis Jordan. He dressed mid-late 40's, and, pardon the pun, I soon followed suit. All my threads are either vintage or tailor-made to vintage specifications. It's just who I am, whether it's a Hawaiian shirt and khakis or a full drape zoot suit.

Oh, I should add that most people I know think I'm a clothes fanatic;) . Well, at least my wife thinks it's cute!

flat-top

Benny Holiday said:
I love that statement, that Flat-top doesn't even think about it; it just IS.

Most of the guys and girls who are into the 30's/40's style here graduated from the Rockabilly scene. We have a saying for the rockers as they approach their late 20's, "old rockers never die, they just become Swing cats."
Ha ha! Well, that doesn't apply to everyone, but it does for quite a few people.

I've been a diehard from the age of 15 when I saw "The Wanderers," and bought my first Stray Cats album. When I was 24, my best friend at the time was into big band and jump blues, especially Cab Calloway and Louis Jordan. He dressed mid-late 40's, and, pardon the pun, I soon followed suit. All my threads are either vintage or tailor-made to vintage specifications. It's just who I am, whether it's a Hawaiian shirt and khakis or a full drape zoot suit.

Oh, I should add that most people I know think I'm a clothes fanatic;) . Well, at least my wife thinks it's cute!
We are kindred spirits, my friend!

Doc.Freddy

New in Town
Very Rockabilly

Hi Matt
As for my style as you can see everytime i see you im still very much Rockabilly. Ive been in the scene for about 10 years but im tring my best to cross over to the swing scene. With the help or Rob i know ill have no problem. Talk to you later.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I remember when we met at the show with the Esquires and you were surprised I wasn't Rockabilly... I believe the time we met up before that was at Viva Las Vegas and you caught me with my open collar, 50's style jacket and sliked back hair... Leaned toward the Rockabilly... when in Vegas.

Good to see you on the Lounge!

Wild Root

Gone Home
My story.

Every one already knows this I’m sure but, I’m just a vintage man… I use 20’s-40’s appliances, I buy products that were around since the 20’s-40’s yes, I use original formula Listerine as well! I try and drink sodas that have cane sugar and yes, there’s the ’46 Plymouth that I drive every day.

Ever since I was a lad, I’ve enjoyed things of another era! Whether it be the “Gold Rush” or the “Medieval Times” I have flip-flopped from era to era but, it was very rarely the era I was in! In the early 1990’s, I fell in love with WWII aircraft… then, I discovered 50’s Rock & Roll… then, my Grandmother introduced me to Big Band… Then, by 1996, I had a good handle on the music of that era and I bought my first vintage fedoras then, a few vintage DB Suit coats (I still have them) and some ties. As soon as I learned that a guy could find original vintage… I was all about it! There was no turning back! A vintage monster was created! I wear some modern items like dress shirts because the originals are very hard to come by but, it works. All my suits, ties and hats are vintage!

I have casual clothes as well as dress… have to have both! I own one pair of Jeans and they’re button-fly dark blue 40’s styled Jeans. I comb my hair in the 30’s-40’s fashion, people always look and some times it’s in a good way, I get some comments from some that I’m “Stuck” in the past but I always reply: No, I’m not stuck, I’m happy! And most of the time people are impressed that I dress so nice, they’re always telling me how nice it is to see a young man wear a suit and tie… because he wants too!

I have a very deep passion for this life style, and I’m honored to be here on the Lounge where there are a few who feel the same as I… it’s very refreshing!

VIVA LA VINTAGE! lol

=WR=

Tin Pan Sally

So what decade did you finally settle on Wild Root?
One of my best friends in school was obsessed with the 20's, but even had it narrowed down to a specific 2 year period that she liked. She had the facial features and figure of that time, it worked perfectly for her. She knew her stuff too, a walking history book, that girl.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that's one thing I've found that is interesting is most people have a paticular era that they tend to appreciate more or buy the attire according to what they wore (ie: 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's) me, I love the 40's. Everything about the style back then was great. I also like early 50's clothes (always has been a huge Audrey Hepburn fan) but I've noticed there's not a whole lot of people who like 50's, or are there?
Root, I love your style, every picture I've seen of you, you look absolutely fabulous. You would for sure get a compliment from me! Plus I've noticed you've got the perfect 'gentleman' personality....ok, now that you're probably getting all puffed up now I'll stop ;) but seriously, there are really not a lot of genteman type guys out there and it's refreshing with you and the other guys in here who have that same mentality :eusa_clap

Caledonia

Practically Family
New to vintage

Hi. I’m very new to vintage and not yet wearing it regularly, because….: My interest sparked about a year ago when I stumbled across a 1940s dress pattern (war years). I happened to have also just read about a BBC documentary following a family who had to live for a few months “in period” for the war years. Something clicked, like these things do, and I realised I wanted to know more about the social history of the era before I was born (60s). I now have a small but growing library on everything from politics to fashion from about the 1890s to the 1950s. I have about a dozen vintage clothing pieces from 1910 to early 1950, all of which need some repairs and adjustments. But I find that real vintage doesn’t fit me well at all, so I’m teaching myself to sew, so that I can make these repairs both for the longevity of the pieces, and so that they are wearable. In the process I’m learning to draft patterns. I have a small collection of bags, shoes and accessories, not to mention the sewing and knitting patterns for fashions from the 1900s to 1950. I will be using all of these to move into home made “vintage” on a 100% basis. I’m currently practicing on vintage nightwear because I can mess that up and still wear it! I’ve also hauled out all of my modern wardrobe and have identified the pieces that I can make over into vintage style. I also collect and use equipment for the home. The latest acquisition is a wooden carpet sweeper which I think is from the 40s and which will be totally functional with a good clean and service, although right now I can’t get the wheels to turn. Without realising it I was refurbishing the living room recently and it’s ended up looking like it came out of a 1930s magazine. The intention is that the only clothes I will have left in the wardrobe within about two years will be modern jeans (because bootlegs are my best style) and any shoes I haven’t worn out yet. I can’t bear waste so I have to wear out the modern stuff that can’t be made over. I think my home will always be a mix of vintage and modern, but I’m pretty certain I’ve found my personal style now. Since my teens I’ve never suited modern fashions and the ones I’m drawn to have always been reminiscent of the 30s to 50s classic, elegant shapes. So roll on my first successfully fitted in sleeve! And because it’s becoming an obsession, I try to cook from scratch too without using ready made meals, and found the British rationing diet of the 40s was amazingly easy and fun to do. That’s it, not quite in a nutshell…:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass