Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

GOK

One Too Many
As Lauren said, it's great to see you again Joeri, and your photos are fantastic as ever.

Back on topic: I tend to dress in vintage style every day, although occasionally I may stray from the path...but never too far. I've been wearing vintage and repro vintage since 1975-ish. People used to tell me I'd grow out of it...I'm still waiting for it to happen! However, I won't be dictated to, so I may wear a 1950s style frock with 40s style shoes, for example. The important thing is that it works for me. If I dressed head to toe in something that was absolutely correct for a certain period (unless I am doing Renaissance or Medieval events), I'd feel quite restricted. I like to be able to express myself through my appearance but I don't want to be bound by it. I'd rather be striking than correct! ;)

olive bleu

One Too Many
Deep down in my soul I am 100% vintage. But i sold my soul about 10 years ago and got rid of pretty much all my vintage stuff, minus a couple cocktail dresses & purses.But lately, i find myself coming back to life again and just in the nick of time i discovered the wonderful ladies & gents right here at the FL:)

This has been incredible to be in touch with so many that share my passion and i am slowing rebuilding my wardrobe.Now little touches of vintage or vintage inspired are finding there way into my daily outfits.You are all lovely.:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
in 1939-1940 we used our language to catch spies.
People in the streets were asked to say 'Scheveningen', a dutch coastal town.
Very few foreigners can say the word correctly, especially Germans.
Ah! A shibboleth!

And if they could not frame to pronounce Scheveningen right, did you take and slay them at the passages of the Jordan?

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Deep down, if I could get away with it and not draw too much attention to myself, I would go ALL OUT everyday! The hat, the gloves, the hair, all of it. I do like modern clothes but I usually throw a little vintage twist into the mix.[/QUOTE]

I must agree! If I could "get away" with it I'd do it too. Now around the house, it's amazing how much vintage casual I actually wear.

My kids don't know any better, my wife thinks I'm a little strange and I think I was born 50 years too late!

missjo

Practically Family
well I do that, every day, the whole day.
And yes I get a fair bit of attention but you get used to that and 99% of reactions are not negative.
Even better, more then once people aproached me for a interview, to help with a tv programme or because they had some 30s stuff at home they wanted to get rid of and I could have it!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I would love to dress vintage every day but since I had my little girl it's just not practical, so I leave my vintage until we head out for lunch somewhere nice or for a night out. I gave up work when I had her but If I was still in the office I would wear my vintage things every day - as it is, my vintage suits and dresses aren't suitable for day to day.

In the Summer though I will be able to wear my vintage Summer dresses and skirts and cardigans which will be lovely....

Lillemor

One Too Many
It's always fluctuated since I was a girl. Due to budget and lifestyle I'd say I'm very shallow in my era style involvement. I'd rather spend these child raising years learning all I can so the day we may be able to free up money, travel to places where they own vintage clothes I actually want to own, I know exactly what to look for and can stay focused.

My style is actually a very small part of my interest in that era. I've always gravitated towards 20s, 30s and 50s styles but not consciously sought out retro and vintage pieces.

Berlin

Practically Family
I am in it pretty deep. Wearing vintage (or repro) everday, and when I do so it feels like coming home. It's in my soul, lifestyle and behaviour.
So yeah, pretty deep. ;)

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't dress vintage pretty much ever (except for a couple hats), but the style is my standard style. Some days I am a bit more casual/modern and wear a pair of dark jeans. And there are a few items of my wardrobe that are not your typical 20-40s style (most notably my scarves. I have a thing for pashminas). However, as a general aesthetic, I tend to look towards 20s and 30s stars (not everyday people. I like to dress up flashily).

By this point, it has become kinda habit, and it was also a development out of what I used to wear anyway. Because I went to a small Catholic school, I got used to wearing a coat and tie, and stopped wearing t-shirts. So, I kinda went more and more classic style until I found this place, and it just worked.

Alex

Practically Family
Deeply for me, even though no one in my family or friends is the same. I don't own many vintage items, but I do go for a more vintage look about 80% of the time. It's just kind of annoying as I am the only one my age who dresses vintage (50s usually)

I know what you mean. Makes you feel like an island sometimes don't it?

Deeply for me, even though no one in my family or friends is the same. I don't own many vintage items, but I do go for a more vintage look about 80% of the time. It's just kind of annoying as I am the only one my age who dresses vintage (50s usually)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Nice work resurrecting this thread, folks.

You know, I'm a bit of a middle man. Oh I have a few vintage hats, in fact my two current favorites are vintage... and I have a few vintage suits and sport coats... but I wear everything mixed... say modern slacks with a vintage sport coat. And for the most part it works.

I'm not inclined one way or another. The only excpetion would be ties, I find most modern ties to be dreadfully boring and I enjoy an assortment of vintage ties. Even with the modern clothes mixed in my overall style is still more classic than modern.

Last edited:

Lillemor

One Too Many
I know what you mean. Makes you feel like an island sometimes don't it?

Funny how I never felt that way when I was younger. I was oblivious to how others dressed, and if my style wasn't retro/vintage, it was some other "dramatic" or "exotic" inspired style. I've no clue what other people wore in the 90s and no one ever said anything to me other than my mom but I didn't know what she meant back then, didn't live with her after 14 and I didn't care what she thought.

latinmajorac

New in Town
For me, (Hello Everybody i am new :)) it is deep in someways and not so deep in others. I am a PhD candidate, so when i teach i usually break out a tie, sweater, jacket combination while not truly vintage, is very vintage inspired. on most days it is a pair of slacks, a button down and a sweater.

however, mindset or action wise, i am deeply vintage. I write letters with a fountain pen or on my typewriter that i restored (1919 underwood no. 6). always have a handkerchief, polish my shoes weekly, hold doors open for ladies. Things that while not truly vintage, were commonplace during hte bygone eras and that are slightly out of place or at least turn heads now a days.

WhenI was younger and wearing vintage, my mom was on my case all the time, still is to this day. It was always "Why can't you just be normal?" I wasn't trying to be not normal, it's just what I like. To this day, almost weekly, I hear "It's not 1950, you know" out of her.

Funny how I never felt that way when I was younger. I was oblivious to how others dressed, and if my style wasn't retro/vintage, it was some other "dramatic" or "exotic" inspired style. I've no clue what other people wore in the 90s and no one ever said anything to me other than my mom but I didn't know what she meant back then, didn't live with her after 14 and I didn't care what she thought.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WhenI was younger and wearing vintage, my mom was on my case all the time, still is to this day. It was always "Why can't you just be normal?" I wasn't trying to be not normal, it's just what I like. To this day, almost weekly, I hear "It's not 1950, you know" out of her.

My mother hated the 1950s- she has often said so. I'm not sure if it was because how she was raised (her home life was horrible), the culture at the time, the blonde furniture, or anything else. She always will tell me how horrible the clothes were in the 1950s, but when I have a piece of something vintage or vintage inspired, she is all compliments, often asking me if I can make her or buy her one. ;)

I'm pretty superficially into it, I'm probably more into the fashion, decorating, and crafts aspects. I wear what I like, I use what I like in my life- be it my rotary phones or my depression dishes. I firmly like living in 2011, I like television and FM radio and the internet. To the outside world (non-vintage people) I'm probably very vintage- no one I know in real life sews, crochets, collects things, uses rotary dials, or has old furniture. But I don't buy things off e-bay, so I'm limited to what I can find locally. So compared to most of the folks here, I'm an amateur and very modern.

My parents go antique shopping with me all the time and I go "oh I like this" and they go "Oh, God, we had stuff like that in our house. I hated it then, I hate it now." I am so jealous of them for the fact that they got to grow up with all of them fantastic things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass