Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

dr greg

One Too Many
never

I NEVER go outside without a hat even if it's to go the chookhouse for some eggs. This country has the worst melanoma rate in the world, and I'm a fair-skinned guy in the subtropics. In the country town where I shop, the amount of guys not much older than me walking around with cancerous lesions and blotches all over their faces, as well as bald guys with huge weeping scabs on their pates...and still no hat in the middle of summer!! It's enough to make you wonder at their intelligence. I'm not gunna look like that if I can help it, vintage style or not.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
"So any of you ever get burned out of wearing the goods and just chuck your style now and again?" quote by MattDeckard

Oh yes,every couple of years to almost once a year now. I think it's the incredibly long hot summers that seem to inspire me to cut off my hair.I have to admit that once those temps are in the 90s and 100s you will not find me in hosiery either.
My summer uniform seems to consist of a-line skirts or full(don't like shorts on myself)worn with tank tops,a cardi for indoors,and ballet flats or wedges and a short pixie cut.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
For me, my "style" is just to look classy... I tend to lean more towards the modest side of dress, which tends to elicit the response from people, "You look so old-fashioned!" [huh]

I have this thing for jeans (and sandals), though. Jeans are so comfortable! I usually pair a pair with a nice top and a sweater, with flowers in my hair or something like that.

And sandals? Eh, yeah, I'm guilty -- I'll ruin a nice ensemble with my worn in pair of Rainbows just about every day. I can't stand closed-toed shoes.

For me, it's the dresses. The vintage dresses. They look so classy!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I've kind of worn things relating to vintage for a long time, especially hats. My grandpa wore newsboys and had a whole rack of them. I hopped from look to look. I was a skater, I was a punk rocker, I was a heavy metaller, and at some point I took a liking to the 70's rocker look. I wore Led Zeppelin shirts, grew my hair out and had a goatee. So this was really a start of my "vintage wear". A lot of the styles now are within the boundaries of the 60's and 70's, though we don't really notice. But one of my friends suggested I cut my hair, and shave. That was the start of it.

Whenever I got out, I'm usually wearing something vintage inspired, because everything I own is not 100% authentic, but the look is believable. When I do wear a t shirt and jeans, it looks more like a 50's teenager or a leather bad boy. I only own ONE pair of jeans. I do not have enough "suits" to wear everyday, but I like to rotate an outfit. One day it'll be a suit, the next day it could be an Hawaiian vacation, and the next, a english chap. I guess I don't really have a boundary of a certain time period, because really I like the whole essence of the 20th century. Every "style" had it's time.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
So any of you ever get burned out of wearing the goods and just chuck your style now and again?
Me. I got sick of shopping for duds and not finding any. It got to the point where I'd only dress vintage style on a music gig, and not all of those, either.

I also put on a pile of pounds (the record collector syndrome) and lost interest in any kind of appearance beyond neat and clean. Anyway, before that, I got zero affirmation from the record crowd on my threads beyond "you're the best dressed straight guy I know" (gee thanks fellas :whistling). Took me a loss of 20 lbs and several years before I felt what-the-hell and grown up enough to get back into it.

Also, despite having been into it since age 14, I still suspect that I missed something crucial by never having been a punker first. [huh]

Not very.

Interesting question and interesting answers.

For myself, I am not commited to some sort of purity law for dressing period or accuracy to some ideal. If I tried to be that way i would be even more broke than I am now and twice as frustrated. Which is no way to go thru life. At times in my life, clothes are simply something I had to wear to keep from being arrested when leaving the house. Now I have always had the desire to have cool clothes and love certain styles, but these things are not always readily available when you wear a 52 regular suit, odds are to find a great 1930's or 40's suit in my size, I am more likely to be struck by lightning.

So, I look now and again, and managed to find a well fitting new Double Breasted suit that is certainly not vintage and I dare say won't get by in any vintage event. But I have always been a sucker for Peak Lapels and Double Breasted suits. In regular life I tend to wear golf / polo shirts and chinos with new balance sneakers or walking shoes. My dress shoes are ok Dexter wing tips but I really want a heavy pair of Brougans again. I have a neat pair of tan and brown bucks that I like a lot but being suede, I just have to baby.

I got some hats, real fedoras such as Dad's Borsalino, my Stetson, Dobbs and even the new Huckel and man do I want some more. I wear hats when it is not an inconvienience and I am not worried about ruining or losing them, so it is More and More.

That being said, should I hit the Lotto tomorrow, the wardrobe would change for the better and have at least more vintage elements if only recreated by a good tailor. But even then, it being Southern California and the weather as it is, it remains dfficult not to live in Hiking Shorts from mid spring until late fall.

So the answer for me is not very right now but it continues to grow as part of what is me.

Best regards,

lindylady

A-List Customer
Even though most of my clothes are vintage-inspired or repro, I always try to go for the silhouette, at least. I'll wear an a-line or circle skirt, or wide leg pants with a sweater or blouse with puffed sleeves. If I do jeans, I try to wear the higher-waisted, straight leg jeans of the 50s. Also, I always keep my hair in a vintage look, such as forties waves, pageboys, etc.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I feel most happy in vintage - it is absolutely me, BUT, and here is the big BUT, I do not wear it everyday.
Why? Because I go for the complete look and frankly, I do not have the time everyday to get my hair looking right! Whilst my workmates wouldn't be worried about it, I do also have to visit clients. That and I live in a bit of a rough part of London. I have walked home late in a swingy 40s coat and hat and no-one bothered me but they may have just all been drunk by that time.
My favourite is 1930s. Some of my chums and I went out to London on Saturday night. We started in the American Bar at the Savoy and I would like to say that after a while the head waiter came over and complimented us (three girls in 30s and my BF in proper vintage Black tie) on looking so great. I thought it was so nice of him to say so. Even though people stared at us when we arrived and muttered things under their breath, I felt we were more in keeping with the place than most of them in their jumpers and casual trousers. Very few of the women looked as if they had made any effort at all. I'm not against something modern with a bit of style but about 10 percent if that of the people looked what I would call smart.
My one last reason is practicality. I do not want to wear out and damage the vintage that I have by wearing it everyday. My BF is just the same. We go out together at the same time wearing our vintage or for events/shows. The rest of the time we just wear modern clothes with a classic look, and that suits us just fine.

Catalina

New in Town
well, i don't really have much vintage clothing, i don't have the money to spend on it. I have a lot of vintage style clothing though. Basically all of my dresses, skirts and shoes are 40's or 50's style.
But despite how many dresses and shoes i have, i hardly wear them most of the year. I've always been kind of a tomboy, and i'm in college right now.. so i feel comfortable going to class in jeans. I don't really feel it's practical to dress up and do my hair to go sit in a physics lecture at 8 am, especially because i'm not a morning person. I don't, however, like modern clothing much, so i have a hard time finding comfortable clothes. So for my everyday clothing, i have given in to just wearing t-shirts, jeans (i always have to get them tailored, it is impossible to find straight leg jeans), and sneakers.
In the summer though, i will often wear dresses if i don't think i'll be running around during the day and if i'm sure i won't end up getting greasy under the hood a car.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Naama said:
Well, my times are the late 20's to early 30's, it's very, very hard for me to find stuff for daytime that is in good enough shape for everyday wear and also affordable (for me poor girl :( ).

Naama says it better than I could. Though lately, when I do shop for clothes, I buy classic pieces with that era in mind. Details are where my personal taste comes out - I have an Art Deco-styled marcasite ring that I wear every day, and my makeup is most often done in a 20s/30s style.

Besides, I'd make a bit of a plump flapper. lol

missjo

Practically Family
I wear my 1940s gear every single day, to be honest; I have NO modern clothing at all!
Well just one set of army clothes for when I need to do some painting, heavy lifting, etc.
My kit is as authentic as I can get it, from hat to stockings.
Then again, my entire house is 1940s, besides from this horrid computer.
I only listen to old music, radiobroadcasts, etc.
I go to retro parties and even to the cinema when they are showing a classic.
In my city ive become a bit of a celebrity, people walk up to me giving me their 1940s stuff for free!
My style is mostly ww2, occupied, mend and make-do.
So I dont look like a moviestar everyday, I also have very simple cheap daydresses, items that have been repaired a zillion times, etc.
The war-look.

abp.jpg
abs.jpg

marloesbrown_001.jpg

This is what i mostly look like these days;

Twinwoods_061106.jpg

If only we could get all the retro people from across the globe and start our own little 1930s colony...

missjo

Practically Family
LadyDeWinter said:
Hey Miss Joeri

I like your style!:eusa_clap Maybe we will meet at the next Trocadeo event in Wuppertal next March, I will be there.

Frau De Winter, it would be a delight to meet you.
I will have to be in Wupptertal as well! :)

Hi Miss Joeri!

Great photos! Gee, you're swell!

A question: there is supposed to be a saying that is the Dutch version of a tounge twister and it is something about "88 bridges" can you tell us about that?

Sincerely,

missjo

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Great photos! Gee, you're swell!

A question: there is supposed to be a saying that is the Dutch version of a tounge twister and it is something about "88 bridges" can you tell us about that?

Sincerely,

Goodness there are a few!
One of them is 'De kat krabt de krullen van de trap' (the cat scratsches the curls from the stairs) and another one is 'Sluwe sjakie sloeg de slome slager' (smart jacky hit the slow butcher).

On a similair note, in 1939-1940 we used our language to catch spies.
People in the streets were asked to say 'Scheveningen', a dutch coastal town.
Very few foreigners can say the word correctly, especially Germans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass