Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How deep is your style?

Wild Root

Gone Home
If any one wants to chat about anything off topic, there's PM's for such things.

I wear a combination of 30's and 40's daily and I some times do the casual button dress shirt with rolled up sleeves with collar open (no tie) and high waisted pants with a fedora cocked to one side... feels good and I like the look for a daily walking around type of outfit. I've seen this outfit worn in many old photos... it's the real daily golden era look.;)

=WR=

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
after wearing vintage or vintage inspired clothes, I've really noticed how ill-fitting a lot of modern clothes are ! I love how tailored everything is, makes a nice crisp look that is very complimentary

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh man.... one word... crash and burn...

Crash%20Landing%20on%20the%20USS%20Enterprise,%20November%201943,%20080-G__A_jpg.jpg

Lets get back on track!!! PLEASE!

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen the footage of that crash. I hope the guy who pulled the pilot out of the F6F got a medal.

My style? I'd have to say it's through and through. True vintage is out for me, even if I lost a whole lot of weight, people were just smaller back then, but classically styled clothes have always suited me better.

I have to find a picture of me from the late 1960s wearing my bucket hat at age 7 or 8. ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, finding vintage in sizes like mine and others can be hard, some impossible but, there are always good ties to be had! And when you pair a nice vintage tie with a modern suit, it kind of works out nice!

=WR=

marquise

Familiar Face
I've been collecting vintage for about 6 years now, but the obsession leads to early childhood. My great love affair with the past, with its literature, architecture, art (I 'll be graduating with a double degree in Architectural History & Art History this year), design, politics and popculture began when I was very young-- from my parents appreciation for old film and novels? A childhood spent in a pre-war Manhattan apartment? Perhaps many factors. It all cemented when my family moved to a suburb in Florida and I was struck dumb by the change, by the strangeness of sprawl, gas stations & malls, and began to escape through fantasizing about other eras. I ultimately forced my parents to take me to thriftstores, I recall; to find some 1970s gunne sax dresses which 'looked like' the clothes worn perhaps by Laura Ingalls Wilder in the "Little House" books, or Anne of Green Gables; or ladies in Dickens novels. I got a job at 16 in what had become my favorite little refuge, a historic open-air museum; where I could take tours through a great wooden 1907 house, dressed as a 'teens housewife-- and it became almost another identity for me. I collected antiques with my pay; and worked in antique stores before college; where I began to study historic buildings, both manually and mentally.

I do wear my vintage nearly every day; and if I'm not full-on vintage, at least one item always is. I try not to buy from corporations for moral reasons (plus quality & monetary issues), and if it’s not vintage (meaning my usual 20s-40s wear), it’s either thrifted, gifted, or Ebayed. About 70% of my (insanely overgrown) wardrobe is over 65 years old; I run strictly from about 1928 to 1945; heavy on the mid-Thirties. I usually wear a hat every day; and people who've known me for four years have not seen me in jeans once (as I don't own a pair!); nor sneakers. As for pants, I own only two pairs-- a 1930s vintage number which is very Hepburn-ish, and some blue Sailor pants from army surplus, when I feel like going a bit sailorgirl-'30s musical-crazy. My shoes are mainly new, but all vintage-inspired-- as a size nine, I have only a few lucky-find ‘30s & ‘40s pairs to my name. My hair is cut according to Norma Shearer; and when I paint my nails, I always leave the moons unpainted. I also swing, listen to primarily early 1930s jazz; go out of my way to eat in local tea-rooms or diners, & tipple martinis (extra dirty); and have been known to throw a Depression-themed dinner party or two, cookin’ up a mean vegetarian Chop Suey and Tomato-Soup Cake. I don't drive, but walk everywhere on principle (though I'm thinking 'bout a restored PreWar bike-- and if it were a car, it'd be a 1929 Model A roadster, in red & cream, thankyouverymuch!)

So yes; I do live it. ;)

& To top it off, my boyfriend, who is a graduate student in Historic Preservation, a restorer of PreWar radios, typewriters, fans and bicycles; is all about the seersucker, braces, and straw boater-- which he wears everyday, when its too hot for the fedora. We are in the Deep South, of course! ;)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Is there anyone here who doesn't work in a formal business setting dressing vintage on the job? If you work in an office you can wear vintage suits, dresses,etc. buy what if you have a 'blue-collar' or service industry type of job?

Right now for work I'm wearing Bill's Khakis (high waisted and full legged) with button down shirts. I've got an old Stetson (modern) which doesn't fit perfect but it's such that I don't mind getting it dirty (I've got a better hat on the way). I wear dress shirts with vintage ties to work and then I change into my work clothes.

Do co-workers like the way you dress or do they give you grief over it? What about the public (if you have a service job)? Most of the customers at my job site seem to like the way I dress, especially the seniors. One of my favorite customers is 96 years old! He loves to talk about how the Hippies in the 60s ruined everything! He owned a bakery on Haight Street and closed it because of how they changed the neighborhood. Sorry, straying :eek:fftopic: :eek:

So, deep style working men and women...how much depth you got?

Rosie

One Too Many
My job isn't formal at all. Truthfully, most teachers wear a pair of jeans or even sweats so in comparison to them, I am completely over dressed. Many of the teachers like the way I dress, especially the older ones. To the younger ones, with the exception to the ones that know me, they tend to think I am conceited or prissy based purely on the way I am dressed.

My students like the way I dress one little girl told me my dressing up made her feel special, like I was dressing up for them, my class. I influenced two of the teachers, who have become my work friends to dress nicer. And many of the parents, especially the heavier ones, always compliment my dress. I guess they don't often see very well dressed heavier women.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
My job isn't formal at all. Truthfully, most teachers wear a pair of jeans or even sweats so in comparison to them, I am completely over dressed. Many of the teachers like the way I dress, especially the older ones. To the younger ones, with the exception to the ones that know me, they tend to think I am conceited or prissy based purely on the way I am dressed.

My students like the way I dress one little girl told me my dressing up made her feel special, like I was dressing up for them, my class. I influenced two of the teachers, who have become my work friends to dress nicer. And many of the parents, especially the heavier ones, always compliment my dress. I guess they don't often see very well dressed heavier women.

It's strange that people would think that someone who is well dressed is conceited. Maybe they have some deep seated guilt over not making an effort to look professional!;) The little girl who said that the way you dress made her feel special...now that's wonderful. You must have gotten a smile from that!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:

Thank goodness you're there to pass along a good example to the kids, too! They may not get it now, but they will when they are older.

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks Sefton and PSG. :)

Sefton, I always find it very strange too. I'm not sure what is is but I've always gotten that. When people at work have gotten to know me I'm almost always told something to the effect of, "You're so sweet/nice/kind etc. I thought you were conceited/stuck up/prissy". Not sure why really. I've gotten that from guys I've dated also, being told that they were afraid to approach me when they first met me, things along those lines.

PSG, For our last day in class, my students wanted to have a dress up tea, so we did. My little boys wore shirts and ties, some wore jackets and suits and my little girls wore dresses and skirts with bows in their hair. One even came with a pair of gloves that I got a kick out of. Stupidly :( , I forgot my camera home so I don't have pictures but, a fellow teacher managed to snap a few and promised to email them to me.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
That is something I never quite understood as well. I very much appreciate a well dressed person and think it's great that they take the extra effort each morning to 'dress up'. For me, being conceited has been all about personality than having anything to do with outside appearances.
I am very much looking forward to dressing vintage 24/7..I plan on having more 'vintage inspired' clothing than actualy vintage..my actual vintage clothing I'm still scared of anything happening to them! I love the look and have gotten so many great compliments. It's great walking out the door looking like a lady :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
SuitsetcSept505014.jpg

Marc, I saw a jacket exactly like that in off-white in Bergdorf Goodman on Friday. I was commenting on how perfect the look was!

Well, let's see. I got into the vintage gateway with hats- Indiana Jones hats. I then discovered the Fedora Lounge through Club Obi-wan and realized that I couldn't go around dressing like Indy in a city, so I started surfing around on the suits and general attirements sections here. I would say that only a small percentage of my wardrobe is actually vintage, but most of it is vintage inspired. My size is small (like a 34R), so it's rare for me to find stuff. This is good and bad- bad in that it's depressing but good because I may still be growing (afterall, I'm only 16!) so I shouldn't have too much stuff.
Soo...the easiest thing for me to do is to get modern vintage-looking stuff. Most of my shirts are custom-made in Taiwan (which is ironically the cheapest way to go for good quality). Almost all of my suits are vintage (only an old Brooks Bros. jacket and a custom DB suit from Hong Kong are new).
My pants are usually new- to get the high waist I tend to buy size 30 pants and take them into a size 28. I know pants wear out quickly, and I would hate to wear out a pair of vintage pants prematurely.
My day-to-day look would probably just be the navy or khaki, white or blue oxford button down, and these days, a bow tie. Brooks Bros. was having a sale, so I have like 3 or 4 nice bow ties that I wear pretty often. Fedora or newsie cap always.
I feel adventurous every once in a while and I'll wear (gasp!) Hollister jeans and a polo shirt with a newsie cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany