Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I was wearing my Black Fedora on from work on the train yesterday and a man that I do not know, came over to me and said how much he liked the hat and it looked good on me. I thought that was a nice thing to do. In the summer my boss bought me a panama hat from South America which was very useful in the warmer months. I also sometime wear a "western" hat that I bought years agao when I few to the USA and stayed with my cousin in Tenn.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Don't worry what others think especially on the internet. It is funny that the other men fashion forums on the internet react negative to wearing a hat.
friday-challenge-08-02-13-wear-a-hat-without-looking-like-a-fool
When they push the fashion envelope by wear certain items of clothing also.:) I have always gotten positive remarks from people in fact a get a lot of men come up and ask where did I get such a hat. As one get's older you learn to say to your self to hell with other people I am going to do what I enjoy.

I have long used this as my tagline on another forum: "The older I get, the less I care about what you think"

I am out of doors a lot and rarely find myself in a car anymore so I always wear a cover, either a newsboy, a fedora or an open road. I also try to dress just one notch above what is considered the norm = never a T-shirt; rarely jeans; often a sport coat; occasionally a suit; frequently a tie. I find I get better service, more respect and lots more smiles from the ladies than my T-shirt, hoodie, baggie jeans and sneakers wearing contemporaries. :cool:

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
hi gang
yesterday i was at a gas station where i was feeling just a lil self consious about a green short brim trilby when i noticed a guy with holes in his ear lobes the size of quarters .

and decided i could wear the red and white top hat from the cat in the hat cartoon and still be less silly than theese people with big ear holes

just my thought not hatin on the earhole :eeek:

We can always easily remove or change our hat(s)... a little tougher to do with backgammon pieces in the earlobes I would imagine.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Tuco, very good story lol. As I have stated when I first started wearing hats I felt like I was wearing a costume, but with time you stop noticing when people may give you a second look.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Hats! I love that thing! I know this is a different topic all together but I think it takes time for us hat wearers to find "our style". I never give myself a second glance when wearing a porker or my Cane custom, but when I wore my SUPER nice Tumwater I felt self-conscious because it was such a dressy hat.

"Fashion" is dressing like everyone else does.
"Style" is dressing like yourself

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Exactly. I have my own style that I feel comfortable in. It's not that I care what other think about what I wear it is all about how comfortable I am in those clothes. That is style

hatguy1

One Too Many
Exactly. I have my own style that I feel comfortable in. It's not that I care what other think about what I wear it is all about how comfortable I am in those clothes. That is style

If I may.... You are exactly right, HT. I don't so much wear my fedoras for the comments/views of others, but just because I like to wear them, enjoy doing so and feel good in them. Now if that happens to bring favorable comments (which it often does), then great! But the views of others are not the reason we hat guys strut the style we do.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I went to a funeral today wearing a grey homburg conversion and was complimented on my hat a few times - with the exception of the military honor guard, the only non baseball hat there. One thing did irk me though. My CEO came over a flicked my brim saying "That is a great hat!". Now I really like her but I was taught by my dad (former army MP and civilian police officer) that two things in life are bad, very bad: stepping on someones shoes or touching their hat. I thanked her but I think she got the point by the "look".

Monte

A-List Customer
Yes, bad manners there.
I went to a close friend's funeral and left my hat in the car. One younger guy who was also attending actually looked at my pea coat with suit and tie in disgust, like I was showing off or something. I mean, really. He was in his usual t-shirt and jeans for a funeral...show a little respect, son.

Monte

A-List Customer
Oh, I got sidetracked.
We stopped by the store a few days ago and the boy at the checkout said, "Nice hat, by the way."
A minute later, a woman came up behind us and shared, with an admiring look at my hat, "Wow. That's a really sharp hat. I wish I could get my husband to wear hats like that."
When we got out to the car, my wife said that she bet I loved that attention. I said that I didn't even remember that I had it on.
If I'm going to wear a hat outdoors, it may as well be a quality hat which I like. Not a disposable cap, like I wear to work. I throw those in the garbage when they get saturated with dust and grease.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925