Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have a young guy who works at the local grocery store and he always comments on my hats. He says "I would look stupid in a hat, but you make it look cool". I pointed out that EVERY body type has a hat that would look good. I told him to check out the lounge, hopefully he stops by and finds "his" hat.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I have a young guy who works at the local grocery store and he always comments on my hats. He says "I would look stupid in a hat, but you make it look cool". I pointed out that EVERY body type has a hat that would look good. I told him to check out the lounge, hopefully he stops by and finds "his" hat.

Great advice. Also if there's a hatter in the local area who could help him find his style. Whatever way he finds it, I hope he learns the joys we all know of wearing hats.

Chascomm

New in Town
Strangers on the street on numerous occasions: "Love the hat!"

A friend's colleague announcing my arrival at the front desk : "Wyatt Earp"

A jovial one-legged blackfella: "Stick 'em up, Brudder!"

A derranged derelict getting off a train: "YEEHAA!"

A child at my son's school, whispered to a friend: "Look. It's a detective!"

A lovely young lady around the corner from my office: "Excuse me. I always like the way you dress. You look so smart."

An older indigenous lady to her friend just moments after I walked past: "Now THAT'S how I like to see a man dressed."

A scruffy young dude on the street: "Hey! Are you Jewish?"

A well dressed dude on the street: "I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you Jewish?"

An old chap on the train: "Excuse me. Are you Jewish?"

A business contact at a conference: "I didn't recognise you without the hat."

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have a young guy who works at the local grocery store and he always comments on my hats. He says "I would look stupid in a hat, but you make it look cool".

The problem is most hat's that he has to choose from at say Target or Walmart or even Dillard would make you look stupid. Hope he does stop in and check out the hats everyone wears here.

leadduck

New in Town
I was sitting at a light in my truck one night, as a group of young people was crossing the street. One of the girls saic, "I like your hat", a comment I get all the time. I was surprised she could even see me inside the truck, as it was pretty dark. Couldn't help but laugh when she replie, "I wasn't talking to you."

CSG

Familiar Face
I think for some of the negative reactions that people get it's because they don't look comfortable in their hat. In so many self portraits I've seen here, the subject looks uncomfortable. You see it in movies too. Back in the day when fedoras were the norm, men looked *right* in them. These days, many don't look right.

Please don't take this comment the wrong way but it's as though some men are trying too hard and wearing a fedora looks like an affectation.

...it's as though some men are trying too hard and wearing a fedora looks like an affectation.

Indeed, this aspect is one that (I feel) we work to address and gently adjust here on the Lounge pages. We're (many of us) still works-in-progress. Good point, and thank you sir!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I agree/disagree CSG. I think you make a valid point about looking uncomfortable but that is because those people are usually new hat wearers who are "taking the plunge". I am just as guilty as anybody in wearing a hat that hasn't looked good on me. I have said for years now that it is trial/error because a vast majority of us had zero people to look to in real life as examples of how to wear a hat. I have worn some hats I would not put back on my head but wearing those hats taught me something and that is what this hobby is about.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I literally got checked out by an elderly lady in the local grocery store yesterday. I got the look from the fedora to the shoes and back up with a huge smile. Same day I got some chuckles from some teens and a "cool hat" from a guy my age.

... A scruffy young dude on the street: "Hey! Are you Jewish?"

A well dressed dude on the street: "I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you Jewish?"

An old chap on the train: "Excuse me. Are you Jewish?"...

Love this.

When I was 18 I traveled through Europe for the summer. Wound up in Dingle, Ireland at the end of the journey and met a girl who I became quite taken with. We met at a somewhat famous singing pub and spent a fine evening together. All I managed to learn about her was her name. Went back to the pub for most of the next week hoping to run into her again. One afternoon I was sitting at the bar with a Guinness - the only other blokes there were the bartender and an old fellow on a stool at the opposite end. After a while sitting there in silence he said with out looking up from his beer "Jewish?" I was really thrown by it. I never thought of myself as oozing Jewishness, but maybe in Ireland..? I wasn't wearing a hat. Met up with Angie Clancy again but decided against running away and went home as planned to go to college. We wrote back and forth for a few years after.

facade

A-List Customer
Walked into a vintage clothing store and, after greeting me, the clerk asks if I was a Republican. After responding no, she bursts into an inane anti-Republican health care rant. After shes done ranting, I ask why she thought I was a Republican. Her answer, Republicans all wear those fedoras.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just wonder, how a Scandinavian royalist would fit into her equation? lol

Hi

Wellllll, you're not in her equation. You should probably be happy about that, you don't have to support her, OR be the target of her rant. Next we'll probably have to chip in and buy her a hat!!

:D

I'm over 40, and have known my old boss from High School my whole life. I have NO CLUE what party he supports because he said he can't afford to VISIBLY support either. Support one, lose the customers you have in the other party.

Later

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Hi

Wellllll, you're not in her equation. You should probably be happy about that, you don't have to support her, OR be the target of her rant. Next we'll probably have to chip in and buy her a hat!!

:D

I'm over 40, and have known my old boss from High School my whole life. I have NO CLUE what party he supports because he said he can't afford to VISIBLY support either. Support one, lose the customers you have in the other party.

Later
What it boils down to is that folks are going to rant about their favorite subject no matter what the trigger is.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Strangers on the street on numerous occasions: "Love the hat!"

A friend's colleague announcing my arrival at the front desk : "Wyatt Earp"

A jovial one-legged blackfella: "Stick 'em up, Brudder!"

A derranged derelict getting off a train: "YEEHAA!"

A child at my son's school, whispered to a friend: "Look. It's a detective!"

A lovely young lady around the corner from my office: "Excuse me. I always like the way you dress. You look so smart."

An older indigenous lady to her friend just moments after I walked past: "Now THAT'S how I like to see a man dressed."

A scruffy young dude on the street: "Hey! Are you Jewish?"

An old chap on the train: "Excuse me. Are you Jewish?"

A business contact at a conference: "I didn't recognise you without the hat."

Which just goes to prove once again that there is no shortage of people who don't know when to say nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav