Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I agree/disagree CSG. I think you make a valid point about looking uncomfortable but that is because those people are usually new hat wearers who are "taking the plunge". I am just as guilty as anybody in wearing a hat that hasn't looked good on me. I have said for years now that it is trial/error because a vast majority of us had zero people to look to in real life as examples of how to wear a hat. I have worn some hats I would not put back on my head but wearing those hats taught me something and that is what this hobby is about.

I think most wouldn't know it doesn't look good on you unless you look like you don't think it looks good on you.

The exception would be a black and white houndstooth check fedora (Bear Bryant fedora). Those have never looked good on ANYONE. Nobody would dare have told Bear Bryant that.

I think most wouldn't know it doesn't look good on you unless you look like you don't think it looks good on you.

The exception would be a black and white houndstooth check fedora (Bear Bryant fedora). Those have never looked good on ANYONE. Nobody would dare have told Bear Bryant that.

Easy now...
Don't dis the "Bear"s fashion sense

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Easy now...
Don't dis the "Bear"s fashion sense

I am Alabama born and raised. Raised in the Bear Bryant era. I knew his houndstooth check hat was ugly before I was potty trained.
Great coach but he should have looked in the mirror before he walked out of Yieldings' or Parisians' hat dept. (or was it K-Mart)
It was enough to make me toss my Golden Flakes and Co-Cola.

Of course, he might have done it purpose. Looking at that hat may have made the defensive line want to knock people on their butts.

tommyK

One Too Many
I get compliments when paired with a suit or sports jacket occasionally. When dressed more casually the hat rarely raises an eyebrow, which seems about right to me.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Although there are many currently-popular fabric hats that I do not care for, I am the owner of a Bear Bryant style houndstooth number. And surprisingly, I get compliments every time I wear it. It is a relatively stingy brimmed, tapered crown hat, but it still looks large compared to the current crop of "trilbies." I bought it when I was in college, about 1989. It's proportions must be particularly flattering on me or something, because it's been getting compliments since I first bought it and it was my primary casual hat for many years.

But I've certainly seen a few that didn't look so good, too. So I get where you're coming from, Suitedcboy. I just guess this is one of those YMMV situations.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I seem to get quite a bit of compliments and I think it is due more to the fact that there are not many men wearing fedoras anymore. I dont think I am particularly handsome or gallant or GQ. Just this past weekend, I have had like 5 compliments on my new Brown Buckaroo hat, here:

I had emailed Mike thinking that the 'modified dress western' style, my description, was not me. I did like the brim curl, but the bigger brim and the fact it is more western does not fit how I think of myself. Anyway, both men and women liked it, and a couple have seen me in what I call my dress fedoras - the grey ones. They said the hat was me, and that was what Major Mike and Rocky said when I got it! I decided then to stop overthinking it, and give up what I think of what kind of guy I am, and just go with it. I will say that I find reasons to wear it now. I dont wear it with a suit, no, but jeans, khakis, even blue chinos, I just tend to grab it and if not that, then the silverbelly one Mike made me which is more a fedora.

I seem to be the hat guy around the courthouse - counter clerks call me that and ask me where it is when I dont wear one - even though one Chancellor has been wearing them for a long time, and he is snappy as he can rock bowties, bucks, and seersucker.

That is one fine hat Memphis and looks great on you, I'm not surprised you are getting compliments.
This past weekend we met an old friend in Boston (she's originally from Germany), and went out to lunch. I wore a newer thin ribbon charcoal Stetson. She told me I look good in hats and look "important".

hatguy1

One Too Many
Walked into a vintage clothing store and, after greeting me, the clerk asks if I was a Republican. After responding no, she bursts into an inane anti-Republican health care rant. After shes done ranting, I ask why she thought I was a Republican. Her answer, Republicans all wear those fedoras.

How about we keep any politics from any party off TFL? This is supposed to be about hats, not politics.

Well the way I wear my hats is not for the classical look I wear them as a blue collar man flipped up Ed norton style I believe they used to be worn like this in the 20,s. with a raccoon jacket This works for me and compliments come here and there But I wear it for me. With the exception of the jacket. Lol. on the other hand if I where getting rocks thrown at me I would be less apt to wear it. Lets be honest the time of the fedora faded in the usa around the late 50,s. either people wear them because they like them or want to look like someone. It's not part of the dress code or gentleman way or practical use as it was from the 1800,s. to the 1958,s so looks will come

Last edited:
One of these days Cavefish, one of these days..........right in the kisser. I've seen yer lids elsewhere on here,and I dig 'em. 50s workingman is the look I like. Probably because I am a working man. Cold PBR to you for flying yer own flag.

One of these days Cavefish, one of these days..........right in the kisser. I've seen yer lids elsewhere on here,and I dig 'em. 50s workingman is the look I like. Probably because I am a working man. Cold PBR to you for flying yer own flag.

The ole "sewer technician" look. Ralphy baby

Ehhhhhh ... okay ...?!??!!

Cheers,
Ole

lol

ysypumab.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member