Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Yahoody

One Too Many
Lots of hats here. My wife and I stopped by the local feed store the other day. For some sand, of all things. Had on one of my smaller hats. Just a hair under a 4" brim. The kid loading us was wearing an inexpensive fabric "cowboy" hat of some type. Certainly not the typical ranch kid or hat. He was nice enough. Made us both laugh. His comment was, "Love your hat. Makes the statement, "Large and in charge".
1683766354132.jpeg

So we are in Chipotle picking up dinner for my son... I'm wearing a Stetson nutria quality western. On the way out we see sitting at one of the tables a young mother with her baby. The baby is flashing that full on baby grin at us as we walk by... His eyes are locked on me as we walk by. Just as I grab the door handle.... I distinctly hear..... HAT!

That right buddy! First words?!?!

IMG_20230527_170646462_PORTRAIT.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ok something different.
How about a “How i reacted to other folks wearing a hat” story??
So…i got a grass cut boy that mows my lawn. He’s a high school student that most folks (me) might call challenged, i don’t know, or goofy for sure.
The kind you’d rather not talk to because they won’t shut up, yacks like a five year old about everything that’s nothing. The kind that puts a jaw drop, stupid looking, stunned face on you 30 seconds into a “hi how are you”?
Got that picture? Ok, unfortunately he also looks like and reminds me of an intolerable ex-nephew i had whom i never wanted my young children around but was forced to and he’s also a clone of his lying thief dad who stole all my hunting rifles during my divorce, hence the ex.
So….said boy cuts grass, goes next door to the “Three Sistas annual yard sale” and comes back wearing a hat. Envision Laurel and Hardy.
Up i jump, let me see your hat i say and proceed to give him a critique of a fine 50’s Champ stingy, tags, sweatbands, liners, care and brushing including the mind blowing how to give a gas bath to clean it lesson. I open the front door and grace him with a view of the first ten feet of the hat menagerie. The boy is near speechless, dumbfounded(er) a miracle!! He says only “i like hats”.
I even thought of giving him a hat but the only thing i had that would fit his giant gourd was a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket (not Florentine).
I’ll probably spend the rest of the summer asking him weekly “how’s the hat doing” like it’s his dog or mother or something.
Heck, all i ever get is “nice hat” from folks. Sigh

And here i thought he was weird!

Thanks for the ear loungers and hats up to ya.
Be well and safe.
Bowen
7EC82C55-D14F-423B-8ECD-30EC49748C16.jpeg

In an Italian grocer and I hear the older gentleman behind the butcher counter getting my attention. “Sir.. sir.. could you tell me… is that what you would call a fedora?” I kind peer up at the underside of my brim to remind myself which hat I am wearing “yes.. maybe a bit shorter brim… but yes you would call it a Fedora“. To which he replies…. “Whatever the case…. You got it…. And you sure know how to wear it”.

Thank you very much sir…. Much appreciated

The hat… Willoughby of Paris…. I don’t suspect I was giving this look at the time… (unless maybe toward the meat prices!)

IMG_20230905_183351168_Original.jpeg

At the Winchester Felt factory today the manager explained that the beaver felt shortage is caused by the explosion in demand. But in a packed Nashville local hot spot filled with locals with money not a hat In sight. I rarely spot a hat in my travels .....so who the hell are buying these hats?
That is interesting. Online I do definitely see an uptick in the groups on FB ect. In person not as much. My last visit to Nashville…. I had the same impression As you. Did not see but maybe one or two high quality hats while I was there. And nothing to speak of in any of the shops…. Mostly junkie wool hats …. What fur felt I did see was lower end.

At the Winchester Felt factory today the manager explained that the beaver felt shortage is caused by the explosion in demand. But in a packed Nashville local hot spot filled with locals with money not a hat In sight. I rarely spot a hat in my travels .....so who the hell are buying these hats?

I’m the guy buying them all. You can’t say this is a surprise. :)

We also want to hear more about your experiences with Winchester.

That is interesting. Online I do definitely see an uptick in the groups on FB ect. In person not as much. My last visit to Nashville…. I had the same impression As you. Did not see but maybe one or two high quality hats while I was there. And nothing to speak of in any of the shops…. Mostly junkie wool hats …. What fur felt I did see was lower end.
Jeff, the manager said clients that previously bought 200 to 300 felts are now buying a thousand.. In my area there are 5 hatters that did not exist 5 years ago 3 of them earning a living at it. Are folks buying $1000 hats and not wearing them?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
And you wear all your hats well, Joe.

In an Italian grocer and I hear the older gentleman behind the butcher counter getting my attention. “Sir.. sir.. could you tell me… is that what you would call a fedora?” I kind peer up at the underside of my brim to remind myself which hat I am wearing “yes.. maybe a bit shorter brim… but yes you would call it a Fedora“. To which he replies…. “Whatever the case…. You got it…. And you sure know how to wear it”.

Thank you very much sir…. Much appreciated

The hat… Willoughby of Paris…. I don’t suspect I was giving this look at the time… (unless maybe toward the meat prices!)

View attachment 544867

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner