Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I do reverse rolls, victory rolls and a gibson roll?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I found this on youtube... but I want to be able to make one without an ugly peace of cloth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1id5FLbm2s
I saw a girl (from behind) with hair like this today, and it looked amazing.

Also.. How do I do the other types of rolls? A member here posted a tutorial here where she uses a roller inside the roll to hold its shape. I don't like that.
Another on LJ Vintage_hair lets a "tail" from the roll hang out.. I don't like that eother.. Help???

Nashoba

One Too Many
I think it may have been Daisy at some point who posted that she uses a cold curling iron to roll the hair into shape then slides the hair off carefully and pins it in place. I was intrigued by that method so I tried it and now to be honest thats the way I do it. After I curl it I tease the top (the inside of the roll) and smooth out the underside roll it up onto the large barrel curling iron, slide it off and pin it in place. It seems to work really well and makes it a lot quicker for me. I agree with you I didn't like the look of the rats, or the roller, or the tail thingy but Daisy's method really does work for me.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
Tinseltown said:
That's the one I didn't like because she keeps the curler inside the roll.

no she doesn't. The only part humble stumble talks about using rollers is when she explains about curling the rest of her hair for a vintage look

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Emmababy said:
no she doesn't. The only part humble stumble talks about using rollers is when she explains about curling the rest of her hair for a vintage look
She also explains that the roll is simialar to a large pin curl, in how it is formed.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I have my hair like that (gibson roll) in the "show us your hairdos" thread. I used a fake pony tail and wound my hair around it.

You can use a long straight rat and roll it up too, then pin in place. You can also tease it then mold into the roll.

There are several threads on the victory rolls, I'm sure you'll find them!

NIkki

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I had longer hair, for a Gibson all I did was teased the heck out of the part I was going to roll, sprayed it, then teased it some more, until I could just roll it in on itself and pin it. Didn't take much. :)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
All this information is awesome but I still don't understand the difference between a gibson roll, a victory roll and a reverse roll. Could someone clarify the differences for me?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I believe the gibson roll is what goes all the way around your head, or from ear to ear in the back of your head along the neckline. This is not the same as an edwardian gisbson pouf, which is more like this:
http://www.intimelyfashion.com/hair/gibson2.htm
and this using a rat,
http://www.intimelyfashion.com/hair/gibson1.htm

Victory and reverse rolls are pretty much the same. Barrel curls that are pinned on top of the head. Reverse meaning they are rolled upward, instead of towards your forhead like a bang, (forward roll). I think the victory term comes from having one high roll on each side giving a V shape to the head and also a war time name.. but I could be wrong!
HTH!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab

MarieAnne

Practically Family
My husband has become interested in 'that' look, (rockabilly, vintage, retro, fifties, forties, kustom kulture......whatever) He bought pomade to slick his hair back, it's called American-CREW: Pomade for hold and shine. I gave it a try the other day and I LOVE it! It's thick waxy and greasy feeling but once in the hair it's a completely different story! I comb it through my hair a few times and it smoothes out all my baby frizzies and makes my hair shiny and uniform in that sleek but non-greasy old fashioned way. I love using it to smooth out my rolls (which usually look frizzy and messy). Do you gals have any favourite products you use to smooth out your rolls?

ShortClara

One Too Many
Marie-Anne, my hubby also uses that Crew stuff, but I have fine hair and never thought I could use it, too. How does it hold with heat products (like a curling iron)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo