Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do loungers deal with extreme cold weather?

maduro 5

A-List Customer
My work requires me to travel to Western Siberia. It gets pretty cold between November and February. Last year in January the temperature dropped to -53C for couple of days. My survival tool is my Canada Goose Resolute Parka . But it is too warm for anything above -10C.

rayban

New in Town
Last winter I was in Bulgaria (countryside, south of Yambol) . At one point the temperature hit almost -30. Almost a meter of snow at some places. I armed myself with thermal underwear, a thick moleskin shirt by Barbour (unfortunately no longer made), thick 600 grs corduroy trousers, a heavy knit shooting pullover with leather shoulder and elbow patches (outdoorknitwear/Niffi), thick woollen socks, valenki's (the only thing that will keep you feet dry and warm up to -40 or more and basically they are just felted woollen socks no leather shoe can beat them), on top of it all a russian army Bekesha sheepskin coat and, finally on my head, a Russian army Ushanka. And sheepskin mittens.

When back in Holland temperatures are not that extreme, I sometimes manage to keep out the cold with a Barbour Northumbria. If temperatures go up ..... out comes my RN duffel (together with the Bekesha surely THE most fantastic coats ever made by man). If it gets colder here out come the Bulgarian army sheepskin lined coat and the Bekesha. Thing is with the Bekesha that you don't see a lot of people in Holland wearing fur coats. Because of that and the fact that it is very light cream you draw attention. Especially if you were a Ushanka with it. You could almost be mistaken for a Russian!

During winter I normally wear a loden coat, a vintage heavyweight tweed overcoat or one of my RN duffels (unissued) to work. Underneath most of the time a three piece tweed suit (600. 700 and 900 grs). On my feet (depending on the weather) double soled shoes (C&J Grasmere). In really bad weather Veldtschoens by C&J or in deep snow valaenki's (leather shoes go in a bag for wear in the office). In extreme wet conditions I have several Barbours at my disposal or a Mackintosh rubberized coat.

A week or so ago a bought an unsued Swedish army 'livpälls'. A canvas coat sheepskin lined. This coat is huge and with almost 5 kg's the heaviest I owe. Can't wait untill next winter to try it out!

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
I took an over-sized pair of jeans, and made a liner with a surplus wool blanket. Simply fold the blanket in two, trace the jeans as a cut pattern, sew the seams together, then sew into the jeans at the waist and hem lines. You would not believe how warm that combination is.

Fifty150

One Too Many
BTW, any love for the old N-3B and *extreme* cold weather? do you think current replicas are useless?

I have one made by Alpha Industries. I find it plenty useful.

The key is layering. A solid base layer, and then building the insulation. I like natural materials like silk and wool. But modern technology such as Gore-Tex, Thinsulate, and Polartec are extremely effective.

rayban

New in Town
I agree wit you on the positive effects of putting on layers. And I also prefer natural materials such as wool. No doubt modern artificial fibers do the job in a more effective. And thes facbrics are light weight. However in my opinion nothing beats the warm cosy and protected feeling you get when wearing a heavy felted woollen coat like the RN duffels.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I work at home so just throw another bit of wood or coal on the fire...sorry couldn't resist.:D

Otter

One Too Many
Only realy extreme temperature I was in was a couple of years ago up at Ivalo in Arctic Finland. I wore base layer, Trax salopette and my old trusty Mountain Equipment Redline Gortex duvet jacket, snug as a bug in minus 20 celsius, no wind to speak of though.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
For something to put on over normal business clothes I'd recommend a down filled parka with a windproof/breathable shell, a wool/fleece combination hat with windblocking fleece, and boots/gloves to keep warm. This will keep you comfortable during most commutes and routine activities even if it's extremely windy. There's several good parkas available at end-of-season discounts from The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, and similar brands. Add thermal underwear under your slacks if necessary and remove them indoors if you get too warm.

If you're looking to spend hours out in the elements it will depend on your planned level of activity. Skiing is a good example where it's difficult to dress appropriately when it's extremely cold since you're very active and then very inactive. I'd recommend layers of advanced fabrics in these conditions and stay away from cotton at all costs. I'd go for function first and style second for these types of activities. If there's no chance you'll work up a sweat then wool is a good addition to your wardrobe but stay still stay away from cotton. Staying hydrated and fed is becomes as important as what you wear when you're in the elements for hours.

I took an over-sized pair of jeans, and made a liner with a surplus wool blanket. Simply fold the blanket in two, trace the jeans as a cut pattern, sew the seams together, then sew into the jeans at the waist and hem lines. You would not believe how warm that combination is.

In the warehouse at one of the places i worked i would wear the flannel PJ pants under my jeans for warmth.

BrooksNYC

New in Town
Film crews take cold weather clothing very seriously. I've been on winter shoots where we were outside in frigid temperatures for 13-16 hours a day.

Northern Outfitters are the the film industry "gold standard" for working in seriously cold conditions. A typical heavy-duty system would include:

Arctic Parka Shell plus Arctic Liner
Arctic Bib
Arctic Mittens
Mountain Pack Boots

They're bulky items and pricey, but you'll be toasty in -60° F (-51° C). I've used Northern Outfitters for the last 18 years, and recommend them highly.

http://www.northernoutfitters.com/

Last edited:

apba1166

A-List Customer
That's a great line-up below. Coldest I've filmed is about 10F degrees. But frequently shoot in the 20s. I wear high-end thermal underwear. Then, traditional long underwear, then flannel lined pants. I have heavy large gore-tex lined boots (Chippewa), which can take 2 pair of heavy socks. Up top a long sleeve t over the thermal, then cashmere sweater, then oversized flannel lined denim (which often gets removed once the cashmere heats up). Puffer/Mountaineering jackets slip and slide with camera, so I wear on top of that a warm but lightweight fleece and quilt-lined parka with a rough synth outer shell, not sure what it's called, bought it one year for $79 on sale and never looked back. We use handwarmers. But I often shoot barehanded in short spurts, or driver's gloves.

I do have a far-out heavy fully cashmere-lined full-length heavy denim duster by Comstock I picked up years ago on ebay for a song, that I sometimes wear, but the pockets on the other coat prove more valuable (batteries, filters, scripts, sandwiches, etc.)

Film crews take cold weather clothing very seriously. I've been on winter shoots where we were outside in frigid temperatures for 13-16 hours a day.

Northern Outfitters are the the film industry "gold standard" for working in seriously cold conditions. A typical heavy-duty system would include:

Arctic Parka Shell plus Arctic Liner
Arctic Bib
Arctic Mittens
Mountain Pack Boots

They're bulky items and pricey, but you'll be toasty in -60° F (-51° C). I've used Northern Outfitters for the last 18 years, and recommend them highly.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars

Northern Outfitters are the the film industry "gold standard" for working in seriously cold conditions....:

Northern Outfitters seems to have the best procedure for dealing with extreme cold, avoid it, their customer service number is in Jacksonville, FL:) Some seriously nice looking gear - thanks for the link.

jksu

Familiar Face
For those who suffer extreme cold weather in your cities or towns, zero Fahrenheit and bellow. What's your favourite clothes for these conditions (jackets, pants, gloves...)? Are your vintage jackets enough for you or do you need to grab modern stuff like Goretex?

super cold (sub 40 for a california wimp like) i will definitely pull out the capilene/polypro thermals, wool, down, and windproof shell and layer these on as needed. i backpack/camp and have all of the above in my gear bag.

my legs don't get terribly cold so at most, i'll use thermals under jeans or hiking pants, rarely under slacks since i'll be indoors if i'm wearing those. my favorite is my down mtn hardwear vest and a wool hoodie by earth wind & rider. very light and warm pieces. easy to use as a single layer when it's not very cold, or under a windproof shell if it get colder. the merino wool hoodie if fairly thin so works well under snug fitting leather jackets too.

40-60s, a leather jacket with a wool liner, or leather with hoodie is warm enough.

BrooksNYC

New in Town
But I often shoot barehanded in short spurts, or driver's gloves.
Ditto. Northern Outfitter mittens are too bulky for note taking, so my hands are in the mittens between takes, and bare while shooting.

Love cold weather, but hate filming in it! Fourteen-hour days are tiring enough; fourteen hours plus extreme cold plus heavy winter clothing is exhausting.

...their customer service number is in Jacksonville, FL. Some seriously nice looking gear - thanks for the link.
You're welcome. The factory used to be in Utah......I wonder if it's moved to snowy, wintry Jacksonville? :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner