Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you button your jackets?

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was thinking about that the other day, I tend to leave the top and bottom undone with buttoned jacket, same as I would do with the jacket in a suit.

Made me wonder what is the convention if there is any for the buttoned jackets, cat coats and peacoats?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I never close the bottom button. Same goes for the top but that depends on the type of jacket. Some jackets are simply uncomfortable to wear having the top button closed.
36019B3A-B915-4E52-B009-7DE15EAA08AE.jpeg

This guy is wearing his thedi all buttoned up. Not only does it look uncomfortable, the jacket isn't made to do so. The lapels have been folded/hammered differently.
E1720CB0-B9E7-4BA9-A106-64E198847297.jpeg

casechopper

I button everything when needed. If I'm riding in the cold an open button just means ice cold air blowing in. For casual wear I rarely close a jacket as it's generally a bit more comfortable to wear them open unless it's very cold.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking about that the other day, I tend to leave the top and bottom undone with buttoned jacket, same as I would do with the jacket in a suit.

Made me wonder what is the convention if there is any for the buttoned jackets, cat coats and peacoats?

I tend to leave my top and bottom buttons unfastened.

red devil

Thanks for all the answers, always good to have a sanity check :)

@Marc mndt , I agree that jacket doesn't look good buttoned all the way like this, this pic really drives the point home

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I usually button only the middle button if the jacket have 5 buttons, or button 3 and 4 if the jacket has 6 buttons, if i wear it just over a basic t shirt sometime i button all but the collar button and the belt button.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I button everything when needed. If I'm riding in the cold an open button just means ice cold air blowing in. For casual wear I rarely close a jacket as it's generally a bit more comfortable to wear them open unless it's very cold.

When I (used to) ride, I always wore jackets with zippers, never buttons for that very reason of lack of sealability. I hate being cold.

If I'm wearing a buttoned jacket in the cold while standing or walking, I button it all the way down and usually use a scarf or muffler at the top. If I sit, as in - in the car - I usually undo the bottom button.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I never close the bottom button. Same goes for the top but that depends on the type of jacket. Some jackets are simply uncomfortable to wear having the top button closed.
View attachment 279484

This guy is wearing his thedi all buttoned up. Not only does it look uncomfortable, the jacket isn't made to do so. The lapels have been folded/hammered differently. View attachment 279485
Yep, but it looks so freaking smart on the guy on that photo! Such wearing usually requires svelte gent frame he definitely has. That Thedi buttoned up in full looks natural and abs perfect on him to my taste.
I like wearing jackets both ways - usually buttoned just in the middle when the weather is warm and comfy or/and when driving a car but sometimes might wear them buttoned up in full when it's to windy or/and frosty outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner