Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you decide when it's time to sell a jacket?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
in reality I can't sell things, obviously not my jackets because they are like children, but also other things like my old motorcycle from my highschool day, I have it repainted, changed the wheels, but that poor thing grow with me, I see it as a mechanical pet, impossible to sell it. But I'm fully aware of this before I buy things so it keeps me for buying in excess, I still have jeans from mid 90's they were baggy jeans I wore in highschool, already turned so pale and soft like pajama, but I brought it to a tailor to alter it into a slim jeans and I still wear it until it needs to be retired, and those jeans were just mall jeans. I gave away clothes that my parents or relatives gifted me on birthday or xmas that I never liked from the start, but things that I like, tend to stay with me for their or my lifetime.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
in reality I can't sell things, obviously not my jackets because they are like children, but also other things like my old motorcycle from my highschool day, I have it repainted, changed the wheels, but that poor thing grow with me, I see it as a mechanical pet, impossible to sell it. But I'm fully aware of this before I buy things so it keeps me for buying in excess, I still have jeans from mid 90's they were baggy jeans I wore in highschool, already turned so pale and soft like pajama, but I brought it to a tailor to alter it into a slim jeans and I still wear it until it needs to be retired, and those jeans were just mall jeans. I gave away clothes that my parents or relatives gifted me on birthday or xmas that I never liked from the start, but things that I like, tend to stay with me for their or my lifetime.
Now that's a sentiment that I can empathise with. I still have all my old passports, (in the UK they have to be renewed every ten years.) I have all my old driving licences, I/we have fifty years of photographs, we have all our records, boxes full of 78's, 45's even a few 33's. Cassette tapes, CD's you name it, we've kept it.
Don't sell that which you like, even if it only gets a justification wear occasionally. What you need to do is move.

We have a five bedroomed house, one of the rooms has become a complete wardrobe. There's stuff in there that hasn't seen the light of day for decades, but you never know, I might need it. And you are right about seller's remorse. How will you sleep at night?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would tend to agree with Charlie. I had a clear out recently and went through the wardrobe and realised I had jeans I realised I'd not worn in at least a year - the Mister Freedoms went, as did a pair of Levis - a 70s Lee jacket; and my Old Town jacket. It was quite liberating to kick the stuff out. Selling leather jackets is always a bit a harder: it took me six months to convince myself to get shot of a Paul Smith I had, and it was only after a bit of soul searching that I decided that the Highwayman wasn't really doing it for me.
Of course, I'm facing the bill for a Good Wear in the not-too-distant future, which may require a bit of divestment to fund. Not sure what to do with that, though it in all likelihood is going to see the sale of one of my A-2s...:eek:

The crummy thing about these jackets and selling them is they are much like a new car. Once they leave the lot there's a considerable depreciation. Maybe even more so as we tend to have them made to order so finding a matching buyer can be tough. I do find letting some things go to be liberating. There is a point when you become owned by your possessions, at least for me, and that's when the joy goes away.

Someone mentioned two things I forgot: regret and shame.
Regret only twice, but it's still there in my head.
Shame for the quantity, but I tend to alleviate that with the donations. Don't know if I'm being a good guy or using that to rid myself of guilt, but I guess the end result it all that matters for someone else.

The crummy thing about these jackets and selling them is they are much like a new car. Once they leave the lot there's a considerable depreciation. Maybe even more so as we tend to have them made to order so finding a matching buyer can be tough. I do find letting some things go to be liberating. There is a point when you become owned by your possessions, at least for me, and that's when the joy goes away.

Yep. That's exactly why I'm not buying a brand new jacket not any time soon. I mean, I would of course if I was earning good money but right now... That can wait. I just hate that feeling when I know that the new jacket I just bought for a considerable amount of money isn't worth half as much literally the moment I take it out of the box.

apba1166

A-List Customer
There's stuff you love the IDEA of wearing. And when you actually put it on, you say to yourself, that's right this is a great/cool/good-looking/useful jacket--pick your adjective. But then you forget about it, or don't wear again the next day or for months. For me, Lost Worlds jackets are like that. Those are the ones that have to eventually go--after a year or two. The rest you clear out for fit, comfort, or practical reasons. I had 5 heavy shearlings. They are all gone. Just doesn't get cold enough. I now have two lighter ones. One will have to go. Some jackets will end up wrecking your shoulders. I just never ended up making the EFFORT to put them on, even if they fit good when on. Either armholes in the wrong places, shoulder construction that wasn't right or whatever (some Aeros from the old days never got it right--most are still clutzy jackets, but some just grow on you like dogs that don't behave and you keep trying to train). I have given up jackets also for petty little dumb-ass things of my own. Linings that crumple and I feel the folds. Or collars that just bug me because they are too flat or wide. But of course look fine on anyone else--it's just me. All of these things I know are worth ignoring but in the end: the jackets don't get worn.

apba1166

A-List Customer
And then there's the ones that finance the others. A vintage 40s HH in great shape I came across cheap. Loved. But couldn't pass up quadruple the money. A nice Langlitz Cascade--great--but I wasn't going to ride, and it seemed too much jacket otherwise and I sold for double. Not to mention all the ones I THOUGHT I might wear--didn't, and wound up selling for half!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Other than for immediate cash for another jacket or crisis, really they just sit forever or get given away to friends/family. Taking the time to list a jacket (photos, measuring, etc) and shipping may be one of the most depressing activities ever. Every time I'm at the post office, I feel like I'm in some kind of jacket cartel, shipping illegal product. Not sure why but it's kind of a guilty feeling.

Gamma68

One Too Many
...There's stuff in there that hasn't seen the light of day for decades, but you never know, I might need it. ...

No offense, but this sounds like something a hoarder would say to justify the behavior. Not that I don't have clothing stacks all over the house myself.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'd quite like to find a supplier of last-forever shirts; I pretty much have it down with carhartt and dickies canvas trousers that are pretty much work-suitable and I can wear Loakes with...

Zebedee - Try Filson. I'l just started into this area, they are worth it. :)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
My grandparents didn't get rid of much, but they lived through the Depression of the 30's. I've battled the tendency to keep/save etc most of my life, and recently have really taken it to the next level to purge. I still have too many books, too many class notes from grad school, etc. However my latest round of ebay/FL classifieds jackets and boots has not really seemed to trouble me all that much.

Edward

Bartender
I'd quite like to find a supplier of last-forever shirts; I pretty much have it down with carhartt and dickies canvas trousers that are pretty much work-suitable and I can wear Loakes with...

Have a look into the SJC Flannel workshirts. http://www.simonjamescathcart.com/vintage-cotton-shirts/ He did have a half-price sale a few weeks ago, not sure if that offer would still be good, but they're cracking shirts at any price. This year's will be due out in a couple of months, I think - just going through the sampling stage. They're looking great, too. This time there's gonig to be a 20s-style club collar version among them. I have one of each of last year's designs in the blue and the grey (alas, the cream sold out before I could manage them, though that particular colour is being revivived for 2017/18), and they're great either casually with denim or with trews and a tie. Only thing to be wary of is if you wear a chunky watch - the cuffs are quite narrow on the first iteration. THat's being sorted out for the new ones. Quality wise, they're on a par with hte best Japanese stuff I've handled.

I know what you mean: I've always known what I like. While I've had a couple of 'regenerations' as I hit middle age, I've always had long periods of a set, grounded aesthetic, not realting to modern fashion, and I like what I like and want to buy it whether it's in fashion or (preferably) not.

I would say, for clothing stuff, if you haven't worn it over a year - let it go.

I'd often say so, though I have a fair few keeper bits at present that are only not getting worn because I'm too corpulent to fit into them! That will change over the course of this next year.

The inside leather panel also helps protect the lining. Some opt for a corduroy strip at the bottom of the lining which IMO is unnecessary with cotton drill body shell lining. In any case I like the overall effect of the inside leather lining but see no reason for full kidney panel unless the jacket is used for riding.

I'm always a fan of having all the riding features there even though for years I've been a non-rider, but yes, if you don't need it for riding gear it does become much more as cosmetic question.

I would tend to agree with Charlie. I had a clear out recently and went through the wardrobe and realised I had jeans I realised I'd not worn in at least a year - the Mister Freedoms went, as did a pair of Levis - a 70s Lee jacket; and my Old Town jacket. It was quite liberating to kick the stuff out. Selling leather jackets is always a bit a harder: it took me six months to convince myself to get shot of a Paul Smith I had, and it was only after a bit of soul searching that I decided that the Highwayman wasn't really doing it for me.

I have a bit of a hoarding problem more generally, but yes, I'm finding the beginnihg to clear stuff out and reclaim my living space really is liberating. Your HWM was a cracking jacket, but yes, given your build I think you'd be better off with a Premier HWM, or perhaps even the 59er.

Of course, I'm facing the bill for a Good Wear in the not-too-distant future, which may require a bit of divestment to fund. Not sure what to do with that, though it in all likelihood is going to see the sale of one of my A-2s...:eek:

Arrgh. Looking at the exchange rate now, I feel your pain.

Edward

Bartender
My grandparents didn't get rid of much, but they lived through the Depression of the 30's. I've battled the tendency to keep/save etc most of my life, and recently have really taken it to the next level to purge. I still have too many books, too many class notes from grad school, etc. However my latest round of ebay/FL classifieds jackets and boots has not really seemed to trouble me all that much.

I know what you mean..... I have real trouble getting rid of some things. My parents still haved lal of my university notes in their house, and I haven't yet been able to bring myself to throw those out. Crazy thing is, as I did law and graduated twenty years ago now, they're mostly so far out of date they're worthless for any practical purpose..... I think it's less nostalgia for my uni days, and more the fact I put so much damn work into them at the time!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Usually right after I take possession of it :) ...... there's no such thing as a keeper and every leather jacket has a price that I'd sell it at. Maybe I'm just a buyer and seller rather than a keeper (though I have WAY too many jackets). The longest I've owned a leather is 27 years (my Furygan bike jacket) so some can hang around for a fair while the longest I've owned a repro is 17 years I think ... the shortest is 10 minutes (I actually sold it before it had been delivered from the seller). Some hang around and some don't and it's always changing but never boring.

They're only jackets ... bits of stitched dead animal that we hang off our shoulders .... and not really that important TBH ( and certainly not "ART" as some would have us believe) but that's just MHO.

"Hoarding" is really something beyond the normal. While I can at times, feel like I (we here) are - mainly when I'm looking for something and realize there's all this stuff not being used - I don't think anyone here truly is. If you've ever watched the TV show, or seen someone's place that IS a hoarder, it's really sad and beyond having too many jackets/jeans.

That said, I do think that I and others here have "too much". A rational mind certainly looks at a perfectly good item and doesn't want to get rid of it, but a really rational mind asks if it's being used. I'd say most here fall into the former and maybe could use the occasional kick to keep from becoming out of control. I will say that it's also easier when the kids grow up and move out. You have room, more money, and time on your hands. That combo I think leads us to fill the void with "things" and we here just happen to like the same things...

Gamma68

One Too Many
I agree with ButteMT61 and also wanted to note that many of us here probably fall into the category of "collectors." We have a gene that predisposes us to collecting certain things, studying them, appreciating the subtle differences between them, and seeking more examples in an ongoing quest. There is also the "thrill of the hunt" to find the next piece or score a great deal on a jacket hanging in the obscure corner of a thrift shop.

As a kid, I collected baseball cards and comic books. Later, I moved on to building a book and music collection. Now, it's tweed sportcoats and leather jackets. I suspect many of us can relate to the collecting pastime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot