Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you know when a leather collar is about to crack?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Lol but I gotta know now, do you guys actually stone the crows? Cuz I know for a fact it doesn't work.
master survivalist on tv does it on 1st try, or the hidden tv crew ninjas prepare roasted duck off camera who knows... one of those work

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
A couple of things. Regular use of saddle-soap destroyed a leather bag and jacket I had in the 1980's - it totally depleted the waxes and integrity of the leather. So I would be cautions. Thick leather tackle is a different hide and can take it.

Also the collars I have seen go bad, firstly go soft, fade and loose color, then go white, then crack. I think there are a few pathways to collar obliteration and not just one.

My own choice is to use a little Pecards on the area after a summer. That's it.
I will not do it regularly every soap must extract oil somewhat even when it claims to give back some,

about that going white thing... is it possible mold eating it from the suede side, I have a glove that was totally coated with white mold inside out since I didn't wear it for awhile and hanged behind a door, I submerge it in vinegar water and brush it, mold gone and not coming back but I see on some part it felt thin probably has been eaten or perforated by the mold growth while it was there.

A couple of things. Regular use of saddle-soap destroyed a leather bag and jacket I had in the 1980's - it totally depleted the waxes and integrity of the leather. So I would be cautions. Thick leather tackle is a different hide and can take it.

Also the collars I have seen go bad, firstly go soft, fade and loose color, then go white, then crack. I think there are a few pathways to collar obliteration and not just one.

My own choice is to use a little Pecards on the area after a summer. That's it.

I wanted to address this too earlier but didn't know how to word it - but - I am beginning to form a belief that leather conditioner can, under the circumstances I still am unsure of, cause degradation of leather, such as cracking, etc.

I was doing a test for a few years now, I have a pair of boots I'm not terribly fond of and I've only been using leather conditioner (Pecard, Lexol, etc.) on the left one. This wasn't what I originally intended to do, something spilled over the left boot which is how the idea came to mind, but anyway, the boot that was often treated has pretty substantial cracks in almost every crease, while the right one is perfectly fine. This doesn't mean anything at all, could be just that the leather on one is crap but...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I guess we should not saturate it, it needs to breathe, to pass air, but cant be too dry either.... thinking of it not so different than treating potted plant:D:D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy