Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you take your coffee?

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
How do I like my coffee? How do I like my coffee?

Like I like my women....

lukewarm and half white:eusa_doh:

Sorry, something I heard on the radio long, long ago and was waiting for an appropriate time to pass it along......

dv

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pulp02.jpg

"Lots of cream, lots of sugar."

marquise

Familiar Face
cafe%20du%20monde%20coffee.jpg

Mmm, chicory. Every morning with the Times. Two tablespoons per cup; lots of cream and sugar; strong like bull. The principal reason for waking.

Otherwise, I enjoy my coffee boozed, with a bit of amaretto or brandy; and never pass up a good cappucino.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The same as my tea, strongish with a little milk (low fat), never cream.

Back home I have a mate who whenever asked how he takes his tea or coffee announces:

"Snow White and one dwarf" (milk and one teaspoon/lump sugar) :)

fishmeok

Vendor
I've been having good luck with the stuff sold at Trader Joe's- I'm always trying something new so I don't have a favorite brand. I agree about Starbucks coffee- undrinkable unless you get a coffee-ice milkshake (or whatever their name for it is). I don't go there much anymore, but when I do I try and make a point of ordering a "small" or "medium"- non of this "viente" or "grande" or whatever. My own small way of sticking it to The Man. Some would call me a hero.

OK, maybe just me.

The best way I've found to make a strong, HOT, cup of coffee is with a vintage vacuume coffee maker. I use a Sunbeam model C30 from the late '40's. Almost a perfect cup everytime- thick and rich with absolutly no bitterness. The only downside is cleaning up afterwords- The grounds just float around loose in the upper pot.

Cheers
Mark

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
I love all you coffee drinkers as you keep me employed and off the streets! Yup, I work in the beverage equipment business.

If you all want a better tasting cup, start with your water.
If you are using tap water, pour it into a pitcher and let sit for 1/2 hour to allow the chlorine to evaporate. If you are using filtered water, allow to come to room temp. before pouring into your brewer.

And to all you folks using a home brewer, clean it! clean it now! clean it often!
If it has a filter. Change it! change it now! Do not ask it to do to much. Do not put water it the brewer the night before as it will pick up all your house oders over night.

With a clean brewer and fresher water your coffee will taste better no matter if the beans were $4.00 a pound or $40.00 a pound.

Also do not boil your water. You will get the best taste if the water temp is 195 to 199.

And our R & D folks will tell you to add a little more than you think. If you add too little the beans has to work harder and that last bit of flavor will have an acid taste as the beans have been over worked. And that sucks.

So better water, a clean brewer, and a little more grounds, and you are now on your way to a better cup of coffee.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Interesting how this thread went dormant for a year, then came roaring back. People are passionate about their coffee!
Me? I prefer a lighter roast. My late wife always bought Mocha Java, a very strong light blend. BTW, the darker the roast the WEAKER the coffee. The heat that makes it dark also destroys the caffeine. I use a paper filter at home, and when I boil my water I make sure that it's a few degrees below boiling temperature.
On work days I get a large cup from the little guy from Yemen who operates the coffee wagon in front of my office building. It's generic stuff, but good and strong. I take it with a little milk (cream is too rich for me!)
As a New Yorker I'm constantly amazed how restaurants outside the city make such weak coffee. I'm often tempted to bring a little jar of instant on trips with me, just to beef up the weak restaurant coffee. Maybe this is just an Upstate New York thing.
As far as tea is concerned, Lizzie, I'm with you. A good English Breakfast tea, or good old Red Rose Tea. (Remember the old ads for Red Rose inthe 60's, with the chimps having a tea party? Hilarious.) I have to have honey in my tea, tho, plus milk. Regular sugar tastes gritty.
Some of the best coffee I ever had was in Munich a few years ago. They make a small but robust cup of regular (not espresso) coffee that goes WONDERFULLY with a nice hot strudle.
Also, after more than one or two cups of coffee a day my stomach gets very unhappy. It is full of powerful chemicals that can eat holes through stomach linings. But I still love the stuff! And count me among the Starbucks haters.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I got the bug visiting NoCal about 10 years ago. Before that coffee was just donut lubricant or crossword fuel to me. Now I need it to have some oomph.

My typical joe is Stew Leonard's house blend, a medium dark roast, plain ole Mr. Coffee brewed in 3:4 ratio (3 Tbsp to 4 marks water), unsweetened, lightened to a dark saddle tan with half & half.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
donut lubricant or crossword fuel lol lol I didn't even like coffee until I went to Germany and it was all there was to drink in the morning, as only genuine children drank milk. After that, black only. Then we had an abundance of skim milk in the refrigerator one day and I remembered cafe au lait. Excuse me, I'm going for a refill.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
And count me among the Starbucks haters.

I once loathed Starbucks until Mr Coffee quit one rainy Chicago
morning and I had to run out for java to the neighborhood bookstore cafe.
Starbucks became a habit, since I was too lazy to shop for another percolator. :eek:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I drink my Wal-Mart brand coffee -- 3 big scoops, 6 cups of water.
Then I fill up a large mug half way, fill a quarter with skim milk, the remaining quarter with cocoanut flavoured "CoffeeMate." Mmmmm.....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
donut lubricant or crossword fuel lol lol
I kid you not. I used to love to take a free period mid-morning and grab a donut and some colored hot water from the clubs who were always selling same on campus. Later an honest to gosh espresso joint opened and I would hang there and drink coffee, do the puzzle in the Daily and/or NY Times and catch up on my class reading.

I didn't even like coffee until I went to Germany and it was all there was to drink in the morning, as only genuine children drank milk.
People think of the Italians and French as coffee crazed, but the Germans and Austrians couldn't function without the stuff and make it pretty well, too. Here in NY the Neue Galerie cafe serves Meinl's coffee from Vienna - very dark roasted, distinctive flavor. Not cheap either!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
"French" iced coffee

My other favorite way to have iced coffee is what a restaurant I used to go to called French iced coffee. It's iced coffee with a scoop of chocolate ice cream in it. I love scraping up the little hunks of frozen coffee from the surface of the ice cream and scarfing them down. Gets a little messy at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari