Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you take your coffee?

Strider

One of the Regulars
I've never liked Starbucks. To me, it just seems like a joint people go to when they want to order some ridiculously overpriced coffee drink so that they can feel trendy and upscale.

I've never understood their sizing system, either.

Tall: This is a quandary, as "Tall" is their smallest size. Isn't "tall" the opposite of "small"? In the real world it is, anyway. See, that's how they do it. You feel better about ordering a small, because the word "tall" is stuck in your psyche. That way, you don't feel like an idiot when you part with several dollars for a urine sample sized cup of coffee.

Grande: When was the last time you went to Taco Bell, ordered a Taco Grande, and got a medium sized taco?

Viente: Ok, this one just baffles me. Where did they come up with this? Who's idea was it to make it an actual size denomination? This is just some hoity-toity buzzword, used again so people don't feel like a MORON for paying more than 5$ for a single flippin' cup of coffee. Big deal. I can go around the corner to Circle K and get a "viente" sized up of coffee for a buck ten. I'd like to tell them: "take a viente razor and shove it up your nose, ya tall brained moron."

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol ...I've thought Starbucks sizing was a bit off also. My theory on coffee is that most of it depends on who is making it and of course the kind bean. The few times I've gone into a starbucks, there were high school kids making my coffee, and like other people here, have been disappointed with my brew. I have perfected my own cup of brew, but have also found only two places where I live where the coffee is dependably great

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Company chains like Starbucks, Costa Coffee...are losing the beach-head in Europe!

These high street chain stores, the McDonald's of the Coffee world, are finding it very tough in Europe, because many of the European countries and cultures KNOW what a GREAT coffee should taste like. So in countries like Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain (and there will be others of course...) they just cannot maintain a foothold, and in some cases just don't get to move in. According to the European Press Agencies, the likes of Starbucks have tried to move into European towns where there have been little family owned coffee houses for centuries. They have tried to push these little family firms out, buy up the properties and then move their Starbucks Shop in. But, folk just aren't buying into it and family firms are not wanting to take the pieces of silver and sell out.

I've been into the grottiest little Spanish cafes, full of sweaty builders and truckers and STILL, the gent behind the counter will grind the beans for your cup and make you the most wonderful coffee, you'd be proud to drink in the Waldorf or Ritz!!!!
Starbucks...just cannot compete!

I find that Starbucks' coffees are bitter. In Chile, we have a long tradition of espresso; most restaurants and cafes use Italian Melitta machines and Illy coffee beans. You can get a fantastic espresso there for a little more than a dollar.

Last year, Starbucks appeared in Chile (along with Hooters, Tony Roma's, Subway Sandwiches, etc.) It's incredibly expensive, and only upper-class Chileans can afford it. Everyone else just keeps on enjoying their reasonably-priced Italian coffees at the old-fashioned, untrendy cafes.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's exactly it.

Strider said:
I've never liked Starbucks. To me, it just seems like a joint people go to when they want to order some ridiculously overpriced coffee drink so that they can feel trendy and upscale.

I drink expresso every morning. It helps to have a coffee shop in my building :D as I go out to walk the pooch, we stop in for my favorite morning/ evening/ all round day drink.

Doubble expresso, a little cream, a lot of brown sugar, like me :D

LD

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
photobyalan said:
If I don't have to have my wits about me, I'll have it with a shot or (two) of Bailey's or Carolan's.

Amen. I like my coffee with just a dash of cream, otherwise.

I have to share the best coffee story ever, though it's a bit OT. It's a bit long, but bear with me!

When we went to the field in the Marine Corps, we always took one of those 30-cup percolators, the one with the basket that is held up by the long tube. Well, we got a night off towards the middle of the exercise, so naturally we got good and drunk on the alcohol we weren't allowed to have in the field. The next morning, Johnson got up to make coffee, but someone already had. Johnson drew a cup, and was just about to drink it when he noticed there were grounds in it, and whoever had made coffee had forgotten to put the tube in and had dropped the basket right into the pot. Everyone in the tent denied making the coffee, so Johnson took it outside to dump it out.

A second later he came back in and said, "Well, I know who made the coffee! Sergeant Schott!" We asked how he knew. He just held up a pair of underwear still filled with coffee grounds! Since Schott had stamped his name in his skivvies (as all good Marines do), there was no mistaking whose drawers they were! He had tried to make coffee drunk off his a** the night before, and couldn't find a filter, so apparently he just improvised!

Man, I wish Johnson would have taken a drink of that coffee. The story would be much better!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol ewwww!! That would make someone almost want to stop drinking!
Just wondering, does anyone like flavored coffee? I've only tried a couple (hazlenut roast, ect) but didn't care for it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I like flavored cream,but only French Vanilla. Everything else is just too much. I know a girl that uses flavored coffees in conjunction with flavored creamers,...:eusa_doh:
So that the resulting concoction is something like,- "Chocolate Mint Mocha Pumpkin Pie Butter Pecan Swiss Toffee Almond" ,..... ECCHH! :mad:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
That does sound nasty...I got brave one morning and tried a pumpkin spice latte...was horrible! luckily the lady gave me my regular drink for free :)
For me, I love my french vanilla creamer. Most of my family still use that powder creamer stuff, doesn't even taste the same to me!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
That does sound nasty...I got brave one morning and tried a pumpkin spice latte...was horrible! luckily the lady gave me my regular drink for free :)
For me, I love my french vanilla creamer. Most of my family still use that powder creamer stuff, doesn't even taste the same to me!

Blahhh! :eusa_doh: "Pumpkin Spice" and coffee just don't go together at all!
Powders just don't get it either. :( It just ain't natural.

Vanilla is about the most unobtrusive and complimentary I think. :)

magneto

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Powders just don't get it either. :( It just ain't natural.
Vanilla is about the most unobtrusive and complimentary I think. :)

There's a reason why those big food-service jugs of powdery stuff are labelled "Whitener" or "creme"-something rather than "_Cream_er" :p
Ah, truth in labelling...

Oh, for those up the thread who are Kona fans and stuck stateside, there are small independent farmers I know of who sell pure 100% real Kona by mail for very reasonable prices (organic in all but name--don't get me started on the money-gouging anti-producer scam that is "organic certification"... anyway, if interested I'll pass on their info (I have no affiliation other than satisfied consumer).

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Amen. I like my coffee with just a dash of cream, otherwise.

I have to share the best coffee story ever, though it's a bit OT. It's a bit long, but bear with me!

When we went to the field in the Marine Corps, we always took one of those 30-cup percolators, the one with the basket that is held up by the long tube. Well, we got a night off towards the middle of the exercise, so naturally we got good and drunk on the alcohol we weren't allowed to have in the field. The next morning, Johnson got up to make coffee, but someone already had. Johnson drew a cup, and was just about to drink it when he noticed there were grounds in it, and whoever had made coffee had forgotten to put the tube in and had dropped the basket right into the pot. Everyone in the tent denied making the coffee, so Johnson took it outside to dump it out.

A second later he came back in and said, "Well, I know who made the coffee! Sergeant Schott!" We asked how he knew. He just held up a pair of underwear still filled with coffee grounds! Since Schott had stamped his name in his skivvies (as all good Marines do), there was no mistaking whose drawers they were! He had tried to make coffee drunk off his a** the night before, and couldn't find a filter, so apparently he just improvised!

Man, I wish Johnson would have taken a drink of that coffee. The story would be much better!
“I’m a Marine. We don’t plan, we improvise!”

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
lol ewwww!! That would make someone almost want to stop drinking!
Just wondering, does anyone like flavored coffee? I've only tried a couple (hazlenut roast, ect) but didn't care for it.

I've tried a few (my parents are flavored coffee nuts). If I drink flavored coffee Hazelnut is my favorite, but I prefer a basic cup of joe. Flavored coffees seem to work best in a light roast and really get kicked up a notch when you add a little cream and sugar. Flavored dark roasts are a waste of time as the flavors tend to get all muddled up and come off bitter and artificial. But then again, I'm biased as I think most dark roasts are over-cooked anyway! (we can thank Charbucks for that trend)

mikepara

Practically Family
Just realised..

..how lazy I am.

my kitchen has 3 different sized Bodum cafetieres.

A toshiba filtermill.

A Krups Express machine.

A Stainless steel old fashioned on stove expresso maker

A cupboard full of Rombouts best of Americas Ground.

What do I drink all day? Blooming Kenco instant..usually luke warm. i'll have to give myself a kick in the pants.

Best Coffee I ever had? Dunno but it was served in a little cafe somewhere near the 1 eme Commando Regiment, somewhere? in Belgium. I still dream about that Coffee.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
SWTroopers said:
I've tried a few (my parents are flavored coffee nuts). If I drink flavored coffee Hazelnut is my favorite, but I prefer a basic cup of joe. Flavored coffees seem to work best in a light roast and really get kicked up a notch when you add a little cream and sugar. Flavored dark roasts are a waste of time as the flavors tend to get all muddled up and come off bitter and artificial. But then again, I'm biased as I think most dark roasts are over-cooked anyway! (we can thank Charbucks for that trend)
Maybe that's what I did, I bought a dark roast blend with flavoring because it tasted really artificial. But I have also found it takes really good to get flavored creamer.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE=mikepara.

What do I drink all day? Blooming Kenco instant..usually luke warm. i'll have to give myself a kick in the pants.

Can't stand instant! You must buy some coffee beans and a grinder! :D
There is nothing like a good cup of coffee, and it seems to take a real coffee drinker to really appreciate a good cup of coffee :)
You've got some good stuff there!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:

Considering that you guys routinely think melted brown Crayolas pass for coffee, would he have noticed the difference? [huh]

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Story said:
Considering that you guys routinely think melted brown Crayolas pass for coffee, would he have noticed the difference? [huh]

lol Quite probably not! It probably still wouldn't have been as bad as the coffee they gave us on ship. WoW! That was just a caffeine delivery system, no flavor intended or implied.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
mikepara said:
Best Coffee I ever had? Dunno but it was served in a little cafe somewhere near the 1 eme Commando Regiment, somewhere? in Belgium. I still dream about that Coffee.

Not that hot turpentine served at Bragg? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran