Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

SugarCoatedKid

New in Town
thank you ladies for all the different style tips you all give. It helps me out a lot. I can't even begin to explain how happy i am to have found this site. thanks for the winter wear ideas=)

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I, too, am facing this dilemma. Last year I didn't care how vintage I looked when it got unbearably cold (darn you, Nebraska!), but this year I'd like to step it up a notch. I am in the market for a new coat, an as much as I oppose fur, I suppose vintage fur is a lesser evil [huh] I did find some neat furs at an antique store in Omaha lol
mefurvf5.jpg

I was in Air Force ROTC for a year, and I did fin out that the skirt with stockings was far more comfortable than the itchy slacks in the winter. I guess I could tough it our some more.

Anwen

New in Town
Sunny said:
And red! yay!

Thanks, Sunny - I've done some sums and I'll probably have to stick with the £25 one, sadly, but at least that will leave me with money for some nice thermal undies and a new suspender belt/some wool stockings... I'm also thinking of making some sort of looseish silk jersey shorts to wear over my stockings to prevent thigh rub, I told my mum about planning these, and to make them with elasticated (not tight, just not completely open-bottomed) legs, and she said 'eurgh, like directoire knickers? my mother used to wear those! I had to make them in home ec, never wore them though!' - my mum was born in 1941, so that sounds like they are properly vintage in idea, anyway :D Mine will be shorter than those, though, as apparently they were knee length, which wouldn't be ideal with a knee length skirt!

Leila de la May

New in Town
No more than a distant dream, but i am quite literally in love with this coat from hobbs.
The picture doesn't even do it justice, The first time I saw was in real life and it is absolutely stunning. It is a cashmere and angora blend fabric and is so thick, the quality is amazing. just a shame it costs near enough £500 :( :cry: :(

0208-3602-2212L00-013_01_191_204.jpg

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Here in Western Canada, and i assume all of the Pacific Northwest, we don't have the issue of staying warm so much but the issue of staying dry..
I have been having trouble finding closed toes shoes lately and a jacket with a hood on it.. I did buy some nice burgandy pumps and a cool red rain coat a couple of days ago.. Hmmm maybe that red umbrella would look good with the coat?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
I would love to have furs like that. Unfortunately it's not really in my budget, and since I live in LA, I doubt I'd get much use out of one. I do have a fur stole and some fur collars though, but I have no idea where they are.

I recently bought a great deep purple wool coat from H&M for under $100. It's nice and heavy, and though it's not entirely vintage inspired, it's close enough! I'm probably going to wear it to the Queen Mary because I have nothing else warm and cute.

And i just plain can't bring myself to wear a real fur... I don't even by make up brushes that are real fur..
I do have my grandmothers fur coat but have never even tried it on...

Leila de la May

New in Town
This image is from my early 40s sears book, which I recieved in the mail today, i am so excited to finally have it. It is amazing and I would recomend it to anybody and everybody. :D
I just hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by posting pictures from it :eek:

This particular advert is more for teens but I have looked at the womens and teens for winter wear in my book and they are practicaly identical, just this one had the best range of styles.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Ya, know I love making summer clothes and my ubiqitous 1940s resort wear for my everyday clothes but looking at all these pretty winter outfits; well it makes me want to brave the elements and live some where cold! Ah! Maybe I need a trip up north this winter......:D

Samantha

SayCici

Practically Family
Does anyone know if you should buy vintage overshoes (the ones with a heel! so cute) in your size or a size up? This probably even goes for modern ones.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
Does anyone know if you should buy vintage overshoes (the ones with a heel! so cute) in your size or a size up? This probably even goes for modern ones.

One or one and a half sizes up, just like galoshes or slippers. Your shoes make your feet larger where overshoes are concerned.

I bought a pair for rainy weather in a size 9 1/2, and my feet are size 8. They fit perfectly!

Shirin

A-List Customer
!sigh! I WISH I still lived in snowy climate. I'm originally from Salt Lake City, as they say "Best snow on earth" <<<That was even written on the license plates for a long time.
Here in Georgia, we get maybe one day of snow, but its gone by the next day.:(
My hubby won't move, even though he complains all spring and summer about the humidity here!:mad:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Shirin said:
!sigh! I WISH I still lived in snowy climate. I'm originally from Salt Lake City, as they say "Best snow on earth" <<<That was even written on the license plates for a long time.
Here in Georgia, we get maybe one day of snow, but its gone by the next day.:(
My hubby won't move, even though he complains all spring and summer about the humidity here!:mad:

Come to Canada if you like winter! It starts in mid-October and ends mid-March in Southern Ontario where I live. Though the summer months can be unbearably humid!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
We have some really bad winters in Pa. So when I'm not in complete vintage ( which is bad, I know) I love to dress in modern wear and go snowboarding. But when I am dressed in my normal glamourous dresses over the winter, I usually wear heavy dresses that are wool or a heavy rayon or crepe. Of course I pair that with stocking, girdle, and slip. But I also make sure my dress is long sleeved with gloves and then a heavy coat and pumps. Oops, and I forgot the hat. hehe I wear felt hats with veils.

I'm not a fan of those boot things tho, sorry!

I'll post pics when it gets cold here!

SayCici

Practically Family
Can you only wear a Louis heel with these types?
il_430xN.70404483.jpg

I'm nervous as I don't really have vintage shoes yet!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Frankly, it's too cold here in the winter for me to care anymore.At this point in my life, I am not going to freeze vintage or not. About 7 years ago, i started wearing boots from LL Bean, and last year i finally caved and bought the long down-filled coat that i've been craving from Bean as well. I am finally toasty.

I will wear wool pencil skirts and sweaters to work a lot, but the outer wear? forget it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari