Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a person learn the style?

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Style is a hard thing to pin down. I've noticed by watching golden oldie movies certain characteristics of clothing that are prevalent during certain time periods but how does a person know if another characteristic is completely anachronistic to the period?

What I mean is, as I can't quite afford true vintage clothing - which would require me trusting the one or two vintage stores that deal in golden era clothing in my city and which are quite small stores covering such a wide range of eras there's little to see - I would prefer to merely browse at the second hand store I sometimes volunteer at. Unfortunately, what if I find, say, a shirt which has the perfect sleeves and yet has buttons or pattern-work that would be considered completely unfashionable for the time period?

I lack a mentor who would teach me the ins and outs of fashion and I must rely on my own eyes. I'm sure that no one would judge my amateurish efforts too harshly but I would still prefer to know that the clothing I buy, if not actually vintage, is a good enough reproduction to pass. Do you have any good sources of information that I could train myself with? Any tips, hints, advice on spotting dead giveaways for non-golden-style clothing? How did you learn?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Style

Hey mate,

I've always been under the supposition that style is something that is developed over time. There are great resources out there, and this is definitely one of them. I personally had a sense of my own style with influences from people the like of Cary Grant and others. However, until I came here to "The Lounge" I went ahead and started to develop a better understanding and comprehension of the influences of the Golden Era and the style as well as the attitude.

I personally have been on and off here for about two years and always come back. You'll find that there are some really great resources in the way of posts, discussions and the quality of the people and the information that they provide. Vintage clothing doesn't have to be expensive, in fact I am learning that from not only the people on "The Lounge", but also from people that I hang with and the scene. I've done a great deal of reading on the subject of men's style here and in books, but not as much as folks like Wild Root, Marc Chevalier, Matt Deckard, Lauren, and many many others. I guess what I'm trying to impart is that after you go through a good amount of the threads here, you'll find a plethora of information and that will lead to many many more questions. Remember, the search utility here is your friend, so use it. Classic Style magazine and the recent Cary Grant book are great resources offline, but this my friend is where it's at.

Good luck.

Jon

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Personal Branding!

I have some good advice that works for me. Its very simple: just pretend a little.

First select some icons that you adore, fx. like the "paperboy", the "RAF pilot", "submarine captain", "the industrial worker" or even some that once have lived fx. like "Fred Astaire" or "Clark gable".
Digg theese icons, do your research, pictures of them, dig their lifestyle, values, clothes, everything. Then simply build up your wardrobe and things, that in YOUR perception will fit both you and your hero/ heroine.

"Reality" is just what you and me agree on, and if you have the clothes and visualize your self like your role model, feel good in your clothes, are having fun and belive in what you are doing.. then at least I would dig your identity.
A word of caution: NEVER to get too full of ur self or be above others (exept new years eve or at a ball), then your brand will crack and people will dislike your "brand". You are you, the role models are fountains of inspiration. Relax, be nice, know your values, dont give a damn and just be comfortable. Your hero certainly would. :D

I have several heroes I use, depending on mood and use:

The rouge pilot - The guy that both would transport Indiana Jones and the Nazi explorers on their missions, "hey, as long as they pay right?"

The paperboy - the rough, witty streetwise neighborhood kid

Clark Gable - The gentleman that never compromises his looks, always charming and the ladies best friend (oops! i blew my secret)

The Savoy hepcat - Oh i love this one.. dapper, dancing devil, with lots of feeling and swing

The filmworker - Sharply dressed, creative, serviceminded, flexible, humorous, dedicated, openhearted but wears a professional bulletproof vest on top of it.

34chainedbiopg.jpg

smox.jpg

Immersing Gable

Hm, a challenge to those who dare...
Who/what are your "brand heroes"? especially the girls would be fun to hear.​

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
How I learned my style

I started with the movies - I think you have to. They were the open book on style for the people of that day. And not just the leading men, but the supporting players. I leavened the movie look with a grounding in reality - studying books and magazines for pictures of real people of different ages, classes, places, occupations. The man in the street wasn't without a certain style then. Even police mug shots can show style (which is why I made my avatar look like one).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cool thread

I began my style by looking at vintage patterns, picking what I liked, seeing if I could find a modern equivalent, laughting at myself when it looked silly, going back, trying again, and narrowing down what worked for me in the look that I wanted.

When I first started it was "Oh its vintage MUST GET!!!" But after a while it be came, "Yeah its vintage, but I dont like that kind of collar..." You learn the perameters of the era you dig, and then you take what you like from it, and throw out the rest.

Hey, the Golden Era had some lemon fashions too! *shutter* But after a lot of trial and error, you will begin to find your voice, be it quirky, classic, or simple elegance.

Best of luck,

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The movies and pop culture are a good place to pick up inspiration -- but don't overlook your own family. Take some time to look thru that old shoebox full of family snapshots or those reels of home movies, and you can get a good sense of how the styles of the past were interpreted by everyday people. I actually went thru a stage in my teens of combing yard sales and flea markets for old '30s-'40s home movies made by total strangers, just to get a look at how ordinary folks looked and dressed. It's a really good way to move beyond the sort of stereotypes that the movies tended to emphasize and discover how anyone could put their own individual stamp on a look.

Keep in mind also that style is something that takes time to build -- it's not like a costume you can just put on one day and feel comfortable in. I've, quite literally, been surrounded by the 30s-40s aesthetic as far back as I can remember, and I'm still discovering new angles.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
How to learn about style? Two words (or one name) Alan Flusser. His books for men are superb. He teaches you the ins and outs and give you the knowledge to create your own style.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I think he means rogue.

Yes it was a misspelling. Although i secretly wished i could be in the Rouge and stockings squadron ;)

Fletch said:
Hamelby's picture looks uncannily like Larry Clinton, the bandleader.
clintonl.jpg
Ha ha.. darn.. so unknowingly, i have played the part as Larry Clinton..
Scary that i might be getting as old as he looks..
oh well, youth has to end sometime :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav